Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

almost buying a 42pv500 panasonic?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by usman24, Aug 18, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am about to purchase a panasonic 42pv500 as an upgrade to a Hitachi 42pd5200.

A few questions for for panasonic owners.

1] Have you ever noticed false contouring or colour banding while watching sd dvds?

2]have you ever noticed a green dotty appearance on blacks and dark areas or greys of the picture?

3] Please describe any other artifacts/picture noise other than the ones listed above if any.

How close is the performance to a crt television?

I would appreciate some help as I am close to deciding on an upgrade.

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    I've got 42PV500,

1)No
    2)Never
    3)Only artifacting is caused by a few of the poorer Sky channels, 90% of the channels look excellent.

I had a top end Tosh CRT (32zd26p) and it looks near itendical I'd even say better because there is no flicker now on Sky menus etc and the geometry is far superior.

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my 42PV500 for a few months now and I have to say that I am 200% happy with it. Never say any problems with mines that have been reported on these forums.

Buy with confidence m8, it will be the best £2k+ you will have ever spent :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I, too, am very happy with mine. In the interests of absolute honesty, I'd have to say that you can see some artifacts on some channels and programmes, but they are far less noticeable than on most other plasmas. For example, in the opening titles of House (excellent programme) you can see occasional banding - this is an extreme test, as they are slowly changing graduations. Programmes like CSI and 24, which have lots of moody lighting, however, don't show banding at all for me. Whether these things would show up on a CRT if it was 37" (ie a 39" CRT) is a moot point.

The other thing to fess up is that plasmas are not as bright as TVs can be. Once your eyes adapt to the plasma's light levels it looks as good as a CRT (if not better), but on a sunny day a CRT will win.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonderful Tv...let it run in and IMHO the picture gets better and better...any artifacts u might see are down to the tv picking up faults in the source