Almost bought Klipsch RP series...seeking alternatives

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by avinz, Jun 20, 2017.

1. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello

Please give me some WAF compatible speaker suggestions [5.1 or more - see rest of the post]

Background:

After years of lurking in this forum, and waiting for the chance to set up a HTT room, I finally moved into a house with enough space to setup a room last year.

I was set on buying :
    Klipsch RP-280F x 2
    Klipsch SW-115
    Klipsch RP-450C
    Klipsch RP-250S x 2

To go with my Yamaha RX-V2081, Nvidea Shield TV, PS4, PS3, 65inch Sony Bravia
    Long term plans - to add a projector

Compromises made till now - Instead of a setup with Atmos , or 7.1 I am settling for a 5.1 setup. Mostly for logistic reasons. I contacted approx 4 home theatre/digital companies and all of them simply offer to sell their own stuff or offer to fix the speakers where I ask them to[no I am no longer based in UK]. Media room+/- kid's play area [not play room] instead of dedicated home theatre

Room Layout
    I have a 17 ft by 18 ft garage which I'm converting into the media room. Does not need an entertainment unit - I have some recessed shelves not included in the room dimension.

Objectives:
    - make it a wire free, safe space
    - Visually acceptable

Problem 1:
    I think the speakers look good. Other half does not. I don't look at other people's media rooms to look at furnishings and don't feel that the speakers are too obtrusive. But apparently these things matter. So need something less obvious

Problem 2 :
    Not much scope of actually auditioning speakers etc here. I went to check out PSB speakers based on their overwhelmingly positive reports. Dedicated demo room, same dimensions as my room, zero impact bass, and overall not very impressed. An experienced friend went though excel sheets comparing speakers for locally available brands. Klipsch reference speakers were also auditioned and overall Klipsch seemed to stand out. Haven't auditioned the RP series, but decided it was a good choice. Now I'm lost !

[Am trying to create a 3d model on sketchup , but hardly any time at present. If I manage to make one, I'll share it here]

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    Curious where did you find Klipsch in the UK, and how much are you paying for them?

The new RP series apparently hit a pretty high standard in sound for the money. The older versions, while liked, could be a bit "shouty". That is, the Tweeter could be a bit much. However, from the buzz I am hearing, Klipsch has greatly tamed this aspect. Many consider the RP Series the best speakers Klipsch has made in this price range.

As to the aesthetics of the "other half", she has to understand that speakers are not knick-knacks or Object d'Art to be placed on shelves and admired. Speaker serve a purpose, and that purpose has to take priority. Though there are many nice looking speakers to consider. But I guarantee you will regret making aesthetic choices over functional choices. No matter how good the speakers look, they are worthless if they don't do the job that needs to be done.

Here is a review from Z-Reviews on YouTube. He only has the bookshelf version, and he has reviewed a lot of speakers, so he has some perspective. He also has one or more Demo Video on the speakers.

Z Review - Klipsch RP150M (or.. The Good Klipsch)

Z Review - Klipsch RP150M [SOUND DEMO]

You can get a general sense of his opinion on the Klipsch RP Series.

At this point it would be helpful for you to give us your working budget for AVR and Speakers. Not knowing the local price on the Klipsch, we are left to guess, and that is never productive. Better you tell us, than we guess.

In a 17ft x 18ft space, I'm not sure the RP-280 with 2x8" bass drivers each are the right speakers. Though if you plan to acoustically treat the room, it might work.

The RP-260 are 2x6.5" speakers. The RP-250 are 2x5"; all Floorstanding.

Floor & Tower Speakers | Klipsch

The bookshelf - RP-150M (1x5") and RP-160 (1x6.5") -

Bookshelf Speakers | Klipsch

Unless Music is a high priority, you probably don't need those giant speakers. Though you can certainly want them, that's fine. But the larger Floorstanding are going to need some space around them. You can't shove them up against the wall.

So, at this point, give us the budget for the AV Receiver and the Speakers? Then we can give you some alternative speakers, and some Amp suggestions.

Steve/bluewizard

3. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Steve

Thank you for the perspective.
    Music is not a high priority as I'm not likely to be able to sit in that room listening to music.
    I'm no longer residing in UK. I have the AVR , TV and other devices mentioned above.

Ideally I have another 2000 GBP for the speakers, but could add another 1000 if needed. If I can manage within 2000, then I'll consider a preowned HD projector as a short term measure. The package mentioned above comes for approx 2200 GBP + postage. Unfortunately I have very little personal experience and there isn't a lot of hands on advice around these parts. I am open to any suggestions at this stage.

4. STR8SHOOTR

STR8SHOOTR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went from Polk audio RT600's to Klipsch RP-280F x 2 and they where a great upgrade. They have great range and with the twin 8 inch woofers they're nice and punchy also. I went from a KEF center to the Klipsch RP 450. Night and day.Also 2 Klipsch RP 140sa Atmos speakers and I'm using KEF surrounds and sub for now. The surrounds are fine but want to upgrade to the Klipsch 12 or 15 inch sub.
    I love the reference line of Klipsch's. I'm not to fond of the eco/Best Buy line. I also never had a $100,000 system. So to me they get a A+
    I have a Yamaha RXA3060 Receiver and a Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player

Just my thoughts on this, hope it helps

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    You say you are NOT in the UK but you don't say where you actually ARE?

Where you are will effect what is available to you.

If Klipsch are available to you, then you certainly should give a listen to the RP Series. It seems that Klipsch has really hit a home run with this new series.

But in a room 17ft x 18ft, the RP-208 seem on the large size. Perhaps the 6.5" (165mm) RP-206 would work better or the 5" (130mm) RP-205.

Even the Bookshelf RP-160 (6.5") would do a good job.

But short of that, we would need some sense of where you are, and what brands of speakers are more readily available to you.

Kef Q series, Tannoy Mercury or Revolution, Monitor Audio, and many more are likely to be on par with the Klipsch. Perhaps Canton if you have access to them. Bowers-Wilkins are worth considering both the 600 Series and the CM Series.

Steve/bluewizard

6. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in Australia. I think we can buy any brand including KEF, Bowers and Wilkins, QAcoustics, Cambridge Audio, and Tannoy, but auditioning them is not an option.

Don't know if I understand what you mean by the rp-280 being on the large size?

I've had a supplier recommend Canton, since they have stopped stocking Klipsh. Don't know much about it. The Bowers-Wilkins 600 series are tempting. They look better than the Klipsch but the specifications for the Klipsch might look better on paper?

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    The Klipsch RP-280 have 2x8" Bass Drivers each -

Dual 8" Spun Copper Cerametallic Cone Woofers

Dimensions: 43.125” x 10.5” x 16.375”

The larger the speaker, the more space it needs around it. Likely something like the Klipsch 280 would sound best with about 12 inches to 18 inched behind it minimum.

I have 2x8" Wharfedale in a listening space about 16ft x 16ft, but the room is open floorplan with the speakers unloading in to a room that is functionally 36ft long. That works out OK for me, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a closed 16ft x 16ft space. That is a big speaker for that space.

But, that is something for you to work out. There is no hard and fast rule for speaker size vs room size. It is more intuitive combined with an assessment of the room acoustics. My room has carpets and curtain on the side, with vaulted ceilings, so acoustically pretty reasonable.

In that space, the farthest I am able to sit from the speakers is about 10 or 11 feet. My speakers are about 14" to 16" forward of the wall, and ideally should be a bit father forward, but because of the room layout, ~15" is about as far as I can go. That dimension is from the back of the speaker to the wall behind.

Bookshelf speakers can probably be about 6" to 10" forward of the wall. So, the bigger the speakers, the more room it needs.

Also, the space requires depends on how much bass the speaker already has. If it is a bass heavy speaker, it is going to need even more room. I have some similar JBL Stadium speakers (2x8"), that were indeed bass heavy, and they needed more that 24" of space behind them, which was impractical for me.

Especially in a home cinema system, the RP-260 (2x6.5") or possible the RP-250 (2x5") might be a better choice, though again, that is a judgement call on your part.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

8. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's very helpful. Thanks!