ALM V BLM

Anyone following the Dalian Atkinson case in the news? I had no idea about this. all the evidence so far seems pretty shocking,

Maybe the post above ^^ is in relation to this - I'm getting 'Tweet unavailable'.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Anyone following the Dalian Atkinson case in the news? I had no idea about this. all the evidence so far seems pretty shocking,

Maybe the post above ^^ is in relation to this - I'm getting 'Tweet unavailable'.

It was and no idea why it's gone. I'll find another.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I think it’s only fair that we hear the defence before coming to any conclusion, no actual evidence has been presented yet, but it doesn’t sound great.

I do take issue with the way the prosecution is presenting the Taser use. The standard is not 5 seconds - 5 seconds is the minimum. It automatically cycles for 5 seconds, then the trigger is used to apply more as required, which it often is. Using the trigger is not “overriding” the Taser, that’s just how a taser is used. That said, it’s duration still needs to be justified, and we are yet to hear that.

For me the Taser is not the main issue here, it’s the follow up that is going to take some pretty amazing arguments justifying that if it went down exactly as the prosecution have said. But given that this is a live UK case, we need be careful where the discussion goes.

I think it’s only fair that we hear the defence before coming to any conclusion, but it doesn’t sound great.

I do take issue with the way the prosecution is presenting the Taser use. The standard is not 5 seconds - 5 seconds is the minimum. It automatically cycles for 5 seconds, then the trigger is used to apply more as required, which it often is. Using the trigger is not “overriding” the Taser, that’s just how a taser is used. That said, it’s duration still needs to be justified, and we are yet to hear that.

For me the Taser is not the main issue here, it’s the follow up that is going to take some pretty amazing arguments justifying that if it went down exactly as the prosecution have said. But given that this is a live UK case, we need be careful where the discussion goes.
I don't think I'll ever accept kicking in the head as acceptable. I'm always shocked to see it ........makes me feel physically sick - don't understand how anyone could do that.

The Lens

Standard Member
I see there's concerns over the pre-trial activities of the juror, Brandon Mitchell, who's gone public about the trial. I really hope he didn't lie/mislead anyone during jury selection.
The BBC are reporting that Eric Nelson has filed an application for a retrial, alleging misconduct both by certain jury members and the Judge that prevented a fair trial...

Link Here...

Anonymuse

It could work, at least some of the time, but would probably depend on the specific scenario. In most cases it would probably be difficult to be certain the suspect is definitely unarmed, so that would have to be factored in to how they approach the situation.

Psychological testing would help weed out the racists and sadists but the overall effectiveness may depend on the testing. I doubt the test would be as direct as to ask "Are you a sadistic, power tripping racist?" Especially as people are unlikely to openly admit to the worst sides of their character. So the test may only highlight those with a higher potential to abuse their power. You'd be ruling people out on only an estimated suspicion, which could lead to fewer people becoming police officers.

The testing would probably have to be ongoing too, as an officer's attitude and personality could change over time during their time doing the job.
I've seen too many of the types of video I'm posting. Utter disregard of the authority of police in the USA. I've seen videos where a lone agitator deliberately gets himself near to the knuckle, recording in women's shelters for instance then acting outraged when arrested. The following video just incensed me at the blatant racism

Woman launches racist attack on Latino cop during traffic stop: ‘You’ll never be white’

pratty

I've seen too many of the types of video I'm posting. Utter disregard of the authority of police in the USA. I've seen videos where a lone agitator deliberately gets himself near to the knuckle, recording in women's shelters for instance then acting outraged when arrested. The following video just incensed me at the blatant racism

Woman launches racist attack on Latino cop during traffic stop: ‘You’ll never be white’
Well, he is enforcing white supremacy, and black voices need to be heard, and racism is power plus privilege so she can't be racist to a cop by definition. Seriously though, more evidence that all this identity politics is cultural cancer.

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Well, he is enforcing white supremacy, and black voices need to be heard, and racism is power plus privilege so she can't be racist to a cop by definition. Seriously though, more evidence that all this identity politics is cultural cancer.
It's been a long day, so maybe I'm missing the sarcasm. You're not really saying that Police officers can't be victims of racist abuse are you?

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Absolutely despicable woman, and allegedly a teacher with a position of influence. It's hard to watch that video and reach the same 'systemic racism' conclusions as the so-called anti-racist lobby. Far from being terrified for their lives as the hyperbole often suggests; she's an example of a black American high on Critical Race Theory, who feels entitled to throw unprovoked racial abuse at law enforcement officers secure in the knowledge that she 'cant be racist' according to said theory.

Like John McWhorter has said (and been saying for years); there are problems within law enforcement, and there are problems within the black community. The two issues intersect with predicable regularity, but that doesn't indicate systemic racism. Not when you factor in the equivalent abuse white suspects and cops also suffer but which isn't anywhere near as newsworthy.

FavouredAntelope

Absolutely despicable woman, and allegedly a teacher with a position of influence. It's hard to watch that video and reach the same 'systemic racism' conclusions as the so-called anti-racist lobby. Far from being terrified for their lives as the hyperbole often suggests; she's an example of a black American high on Critical Race Theory, who feels entitled to throw unprovoked racial abuse at law enforcement officers secure in the knowledge that she 'cant be racist' according to said theory.

Like John McWhorter has said (and been saying for years); there are problems within law enforcement, and there are problems within the black community. The two issues intersect with predicable regularity, but that doesn't indicate systemic racism. Not when you factor in the equivalent abuse white suspects and cops also suffer but which isn't anywhere near as newsworthy.
Yes I would put money on her having been taught some version of the Kendi/DiAngelo schema (even more likely if she is indeed a teacher) and internalised the idea that racism is only possible through a position of 'power' within the system. She probably also thinks upholding that system makes one an agent of white supremacy.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
It's amazing from a short video that you can tell all that about some crazy person.

FavouredAntelope

It's amazing from a short video that you can tell all that about some crazy person.
I'm obviously speculating. It just fits in quite well with a way of thinking that's very in vogue right now and I think that's fair to say. If people were so circumspect about speculating on the racist ideas of cops who seem to display prejudice against Black people then this thread wouldn't really exist.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Inferring a person's internal motivations during an interracial encounter captured on video? I'm sure we've heard that sort of thing before...

It kind of speaks for itself doesn't it. Her comments and attitude are exactly the mindset you'd expect from the kind of 'crazy' that's made Robin Di'Angelo's White Fragility a New York Times Best Seller.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Equal justice for all.

We are asked to 'spot the difference' and it is implied that the only difference if the colour of their skin. Yet right at the beginning of the video they stated that female had just been released from prison for a felony crime, with conditions. Could be racism yes, but also could pre-cons and/or probation conditions not be the reason? I don't think media nonsense like this playing to crowd, with its sarcastic tone, really advances the issue. That just looks like media race-baiting to me. Sadly we don’t have to look far to see examples racial issues with the US justice system, but I’m not sure this is one of them.

Last edited:

4loco

We are asked to 'spot the difference' and it is implied that the only difference if the colour of their skin. Yet right at the beginning of the video they stated that female had just been released from prison for a felony crime, with conditions. Could be racism yes, but also could pre-cons and/or probation conditions not be the reason? I don't think media nonsense like this playing to crowd, with its sarcastic tone, really advances the issue. That just looks like media race-baiting to me. Sadly we don’t have to look far to see examples racial issues with the US justice system, but I’m not sure this is one of them.
Fair point.
This is Snopes consideration of the circumstances.

Mason was not registered to vote, having been eliminated from the Register by her sentence.
A poll worker offered her a provisional ballot, which she seemed to read before signing. She said she didn't read the relevant part, but that didn't really matter, because she only needed to be aware of the details of her sentencing, to be found guilty if she signed.
She may have signed, expecting the system to eliminate her if that was why she wasn't registered - and it did. In Texas, signing the provisional ballot is classed as voting, even if it is rejected.

The cases are different because of the circumstances and the laws in different States. They could also be different in the level of intent to commit the crime.

Last edited:

Boudica

Standard Member
No, but you can find plenty that insist 'racism' only flows in the direction of 'power'.
The power seems to lie in academia, the push for the racist indoctrination of CRT and where the obvious flaws enter the fray,non whites doing well in education, earnings etc it has to move on to racial discrimination of American Asians as ‘white adjacents’ to fit the ‘theory’, a demographic btw that is suffering racist violence hardly mentioned bc again it doesn’t fit the theory, or who is committing these race based crimes, if they do it is contorted into white supremacists no matter who perpetuates the crime.
Just how far down the rabbit hole does this have to go?

It is a dangerous cult, perpetuated by racists making a fortune and buying multiple houses, who want power, money, segregation,equity, not equality.

They have no ones best interest at heart, in fact the opposite

Racist Bidens ‘you ain’t black’ sums up a lot of white saviours eager to cast racist slurs to those that may resist, oh the irony is not lost....fact is the white progressives are useful idiots and guess what they hate u too

annemarie1066

The power seems to lie in academia, the push for the racist indoctrination of CRT and where the obvious flaws enter the fray,non whites doing well in education, earnings etc it has to move on to racial discrimination of American Asians as ‘white adjacents’ to fit the ‘theory’, a demographic btw that is suffering racist violence hardly mentioned bc again it doesn’t fit the theory, or who is committing these race based crimes, if they do it is contorted into white supremacists no matter who perpetuates the crime.
Just how far down the rabbit hole does this have to go?

It is a dangerous cult, perpetuated by racists making a fortune and buying multiple houses, who want power, money, segregation,equity, not equality.

They have no ones best interest at heart, in fact the opposite

Racist Bidens ‘you ain’t black’ sums up a lot of white saviours eager to cast racist slurs to those that may resist, oh the irony is not lost....fact is the white progressives are useful idiots and guess what they hate u too
Utter twaddle. You appear to think racism exists but only against white people

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Utter twaddle. You appear to think racism exists but only against white people
Absolutely nowhere in that post does @Boudica suggest anything of the sort.

He/she is simply saying much the same thing that I and a few others have said. Racism is alive and well, and indeed BAME folk are still probably the most common victim.

But anti-black racism whilst probably more common, is universally publicised and criticised every time there is a genuine case of it highlighted. And rightly so.

Whereas even if anti-white racism is less common, it is rarely criticised and in fact often encouraged.

JoeBlooogs

Absolutely nowhere in that post does @Boudica suggest anything of the sort.

He/she is simply saying much the same thing that I and a few others have said. Racism is alive and well, and indeed BAME folk are still probably the most common victim.

But anti-black racism whilst probably more common, is universally publicised and criticised every time there is a genuine case of it highlighted. And rightly so.

Whereas even if anti-white racism is less common, it is rarely criticised and in fact often encouraged.
Anti-white comments are much more acceptable in parts of the media when similar comments about other races would, rightly, be condemned as racist or at least stereotyping.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett