1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ally McBeal DVDs; have Fox screwed up yet again?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Jul 24, 2003.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Recently treated myself to all 5 seasons on DVD from the WH Smith sale. Puzzled by one thing; Seasons 1 & 2 are in full frame 1.33:1 ratio. Then in season 3 we are in glorious widescreen. However Season 4 we're back to boring old full-frame (but anamorphic widescreen menus) . But hang on Season 5 - back to widescreen.

Can anyone enlighten me - or is this just another Fox DVD **** up?

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    stems from the fact that season 4 came out before seasons 2+3.

Maybe the 16x9 PAL masters werent available to Fox, or maybe out of sheer laziness they released the first ones off the shelf so to speak.

Its annoying, but at least they made up for it with the other seasons in widescreen

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes but Season 4 & 5 were released simultaneously and 5 is in widescreen. Not much point in asking Fox - I've sent three e-mails querying various points about their releases and never had an answer. There's no way I'm sending off my 24 discs to them for replacement if this is an example of their customer care.

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Sorry but you are wrong

In the UK the first season to be released was season 4, followed by seasons 1,2,3 and then by season 5.

Lets give Fox credit for releasing 3 and 5 in widescreen

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I stand corrected on the release dates - knew they came out in some strange order and thought 4 and 5 were together.

As to giving "credit" to them for releasing seasons 3 and 5 in their correct aspect ratios - surely that's the least we can expect from a major distributor?

It does not excuse the fact that Fox UK seem to have once again been sloppy over one of their releases. And once again it is a question of widescreen material being released in non-widescreen format.

They did it with the Rodgers and Hammerstein box set; wrong aspect ratio (correct on the US release) and appalling picture quality on "Oklahoma" - not to mention cuts in "South Pacific". And now the current fiasco with many of the 5 Star series in 4:3 when their US counterparts are in widescreen. And then there's the 24 business...

Give Fox credit? I think not...