1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allternatives for >1 digital program on >1 TV?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by NicolasB, Nov 26, 2002.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    At present I have a main television downstairs and a smaller one upstairs (so girlfriend can watch Celebrity Big Brother :)). The main one is hooked up to Sky Digital via a Sky+ box. The upstairs one is terrestrial analogue only. I'm interested in what the options are for increasing the choice of channels upstairs, the more so as terrestrial analogue reception is absolutely shocking where I am. (I don't think it's so much a lack of signal strength as the fact that the signal reflects off Canary Wharf and you get a very strong double image).

Possibility 1: Buy a terrestrial digital decoder and get Freeview. If I did decide to go that way, what are people's feelings about the best choice of decoder?

Possibility 2: Second Sky subscription. Best choice of channels, but disturbingly expensive, and I'm not clear as to whether one can actually pull three different channels (upstairs, downstairs live, and downstairs recording on Sky+) through the same minidish anyway.

Is there any other possibility I ought to consider? For example I think I've heard that the BBC distribute Sky smartcards that provide access to freeview channels only - could that be a cheaper route into a second Sky connection?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1) Better answered by DTT users:)

2) If you have been a SKY world subscriber for over a year then if you might qualify for the "loyalty "offer of a combined SKY+ and Mirror subscription for £15 a month.
    Otherwise you can get a second digibox either new or used and get a BBC FTV smartcard which gives you the FTV(Free To View) channels, BBC's, ITV1, CH4 and 5 plus others.
    If you have a Quad LNB on your dish then all you need to do is add another cable to one of the spare outputs and run it to the new digibox