Allshare from an iPhone to Samsung Smart TV - can it be done?

HGF69

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a way to stream directly from an iPhone 4 to my Samsung D6530?

Looked for an app but can't see a way yet.

Yeah it can be done, first way would be ZappoTV, this will push media to from the phone to the TV (using the phone as the UI).

The other way would be to get a DLNA server app for the phone so the TV can pull media from the phone (using the TV as the UI). There are loads of these on the app store, just search for DLNA and you will see them.

Update: Skifta is another option and free.

Last edited:
OMG that Zappo is fantastic it took literally 3 minutes to download and get videos and mp3s streaming from my iPhone to the TV.

Forget the YouTube app on the smarthub, the one on Zappo is brilliant.

Thanks so much fir the recommendation mate

You have answered my dilema with the ZAPPOTV. Brilliant app. Thanks next010.

Kick ass! I was literally just wondering the same thing.

Mum just bought my mate's used iPhone and joined the space race. Then got a D5520. Was really impressed with AllShare (since it's so easy for her to push her photos and videos from the desktop folder through the WiFi to the TV) and was hoping she'd be able to do it with her fancy iPhone as well.

I'm installing that. :D

{edit}Got it. Works easy! Still doesn't like streaming videos though, plays for a few seconds, loads, play, loads, plays loads. It does this if I try accessing a memory card or use AllShare.

Last edited:
Videos can be a bit odd particularly with Samsung TV's, another app you can try is Media Link Player (commercial), you must first go into it's settings and tell it to scan your iOS media library and set the TV as the renderer, it works well enough with my Samsung.

Zappo plays videos excellently on my D6530 not pausing, very smooth.

Thanks for the suggestion next010.

HGF, that is weird. As it does it from memory sticks as well, I'm wondering if it's a setting I've missed. The videos from the iPhone are lower picture quality than the memory sticks from the camera.

It shouldn't be the router if the memory sticks are doing it.

I'll try recording a low resolution video with the memory sticks and see if it's smooth with that.

{edit}I tried all three resolutions and they played fine, even the high quality, through the card reader. I then remembered I'd had a port expander plugged in earlier. Tried it with that there, problem returns. It's the grubby port expander. The expander works but it may be USB 1. It also has four, entirely pointless, high brightness blue LED's on it. I know the samsungs USB ports are not able to independently power devices like drives. So it may also be those LED's helping drag the port down. Zappo not playing smoothly may be due to the BT home hub, which has caused endless problems since we signed up for BT (now going to cancel the contract and change).

Last edited:
Edit

Tried Zappo today and now it freezes. Also it won't even find or search for videos on YouTube. It never did this prior to last weeks update.

Yet again an example of developers ruining an app that was fine as it was.

I'm alright with that, since the TV has wireless in it I can get to youtube through that, or stick the laptop into one of the HDMI ports.

I was more concerned about mum being able to get her own photos / videos off the phone and onto the screen. She's been looking at fireplaces for the room, so I wanted to show her how the photo's she'd taken could easily be put up on the TV in there to see what they'd look like.

Personally, I'd just put a video of a fire on the TV. If it ain't burning coal / wood, it ain't a real fire anyway.

You could get an AppleTV, Airplay with the iPhone to the ATV will work much better than DLNA. There are even some fireplace apps on the app store for sending video to the ATV.

However it does require switching inputs on the TV which not everyone is thrilled about.

Hi guys!
Can you help me? I have just bought a Samsung UE40D5500 smart tv. It is connected to the same network as my iphone 4 but zappo tv cannot find my tv. can it be a problem that my tv is connected to ther internet by a cable? Any ideas? Thank you.

My tv is hiked up to the router by a cable too so don't see that being a problem. Check the settings I Zappo and maybe reinstall. Look in Devices to see what's picked up.

I just downloaded ZappoTV for my iPad2 and it's not loading the movies I have on there that are under 'videos' folder. Is there something I am doing wrong or not loading correctly?

I just downloaded ZappoTV for my iPad2 and it's not loading the movies I have on there that are under 'videos' folder. Is there something I am doing wrong or not loading correctly?

Did you give it permission to access your camera roll ?

You could give skifta a try instead, it does something similar, select all videos when browsing content on the iPad.

Might not work depending upon your type of Samsung TV, Samsung break DLNA requiring their own profile.

No it didn't, it didn't ask for permission for anything. It loaded all my music, photos and videos from my photo app but non of my movies that are in my videos app. I'll give skifta a try, thanks!

Check out ArkMC. It can stream local iTunes and app Documents media. Works good with my Samsung (one remark, iTunes convert mpeg4 to QuickTime when upload to iPhone, and my TV cannot playback it).

I tried Skifta, and not satisfied, for Android they have better working app.

there is a way to stream directly from a Samsung 6900 to my iphone 5 ?

Last edited:
there is a way to stream directly from a Samsung 6900 to my iphone 5 ?

No I wouldn't think so.

Though some newer generation smart TV's do have this feature, you can use an app to view live TV channels the TV is receiving.

I'm not sure Samsung have that feature on older models or even all newer ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom