1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

allmost ready to buy a PJ, need advice.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beecee, Jan 5, 2004.

1. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    i am willing to spend around 1k on a pj
    and was looking at these 2 lcd models

Panasonic ae300 £980
    or
    Sanyo Z1 (with free dvd/vcr) £950 current fave! (demo'd at sevenoaks in edinburgh)

then i noticed this one
    infocus X1 at £826 but its a dpl, lamp life of 3000hrs.

any one got one? as i have not seen a dpl in action is the rainbow effect noticable? plus it doesn't have component inputs, only compter vga, svideo and composite so how would you connect a prog scan dvd player?

cheers

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The rainbows are a user by user thing and are more than a just noticing kind of thing, they can cause headaches, as I said some see them some don't and thats on the same machine so you realy do have to demo. Out of your list I'd vote the Panny.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my Z1 the panny was £250 more and so didn't seem worth the extra. At £30 more it's probably the better choice due to less pixelization and scart input.

However, the Z1 has two advantages to consider - 1:1 pixel mapping from HCPC and the lens shift.

Don't underestimate the lens shift as a gimick. It gives you huge tolerances when mounting the pj and the screen and means you can easily fiddle the picture to fit the screen when it is not perfect.

For example, some dvd's do not use all the available resolution and so need to be zoomed and adjusted.

You can also move a 1.85:1 picture down a tad to have the black masking of the screen on 3 sides instead of 2.

4. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    cheers...

i think i will go with the panny 300, as i can place it in the centre of the wall, so i wouldnt need to fiddle with keystone.

in saying that the 200 with a decent screen for the price of the 300 looks tempting.....

one other thing is connections, my dvd player is old (pioneer dv414) but its a us sourced player and has component outputs. so i will use that.
    would it be better to replace my player with a progressive scan model, i have been looking at the sony ns730p at £140.?

5. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can only comment on the difference between the 200 and 300, projecting a 100" image onto a slightly off white wall the difference between the 2 is very noticable, screen door is just not a problem on the 300 whereas its noticable on the 200. It also seems richer and punchier in color and detail.

6. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi beecee

I have an X1 and its great (but I would say that wouldn't I) and I've yet to see a LCD projector I liked around this price.

The X1 has only a 2 speed colour wheel, so if you are susceptible to rainbow artefacts they’ll probably be quite visible on this machine. The X1 will take both progressive & interlaced component inputs via adaptors. For interlaced the Svideo socket is non-standard & has 3 extra pins, the progressive input is through the computer VGA port. Both these adaptor are not supplied with the X1, so will have to be purchased separately and they are not easy to get hold of!

For further information look at the Projector FAQ section at the top of this forum page for a link to a good site dedicated to this machine.

Paul