ALLM, Auto HDR for Sony TVs only?

Rieper47

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read a few things about Sony/PS5 features lately that are giving me a bad impression. I wondered what others thoughts on this are?

Audio - 3d audio is great for those who game with headphones but anyone with a home theater system has been ignored. Rather than adopting Dolby Atmos, Sony are developing Tempest which no one knows how it will work (if ever) for those with Atmos home setups.

HDR - whilst HGIG is great and should solve many HDR gaming issues it seems many games still don't properly support this. Rather than adopting Dolby Vision, Sony are developing AutoHDR ... but it only works on select Sony TVs. Why not develop something that works for everyone?

VRR - it seems like Sony has held this feature back until their own TVs support it. This leaves owners with TVs that are already compatible waiting.

ALLM - another feature they are developing for their own TVs, labelled Auto Genre Picture Mode.

Just wondering what your thoughts are, am I being fussy or is Sony taking the mick? It just seems to me that they're trying to save money everywhere they can at the expense of consumers. I'm not an Xbox owner and don't want to fuel any console wars etc. I love PlayStation exclusive games but seems Microsoft have really taken the lead with features so far and I wish Sony wouldn't restrict features like this.

i own both a new sony tv and ps5...i think it depends how you look at it. it would be great if sony shared certain features for all TVs...but there in the market to sell there own tvs..so if they have features others don't, its a selling point for them. same with LG there tv's have features that only there tvs have, so if you want all the gaming features LG is the consumer choice. Sony have the advantage of having a console as well as the TV's so to me it just seems like there looking after there own.

i own both a new sony tv and ps5...i think it depends how you look at it. it would be great if sony shared certain features for all TVs...but there in the market to sell there own tvs..so if they have features others don't, its a selling point for them. same with LG there tv's have features that only there tvs have, so if you want all the gaming features LG is the consumer choice. Sony have the advantage of having a console as well as the TV's so to me it just seems like there looking after there own.
Yeah I get what you mean. They want to make money after all. It just seems like they're recreating features that already exist in the market (like Dolby Vision) and limiting it to their own TVs.
I have an LG TV but can't use several modern gaming features unless I buy a different console or TV it seems.
Well fingers crossed they share more in future ☺️

Last edited:
Yeah I get what you mean. They want to make money after all. It just seems like they're recreating features that already exist in the market (like Dolby Vision) and limiting it to their own TVs.
I have an LG TV but can't use several modern gaming features unless I buy a different console it seems.
Well fingers crossed they share more in future ☺️
i see what your saying about the console having features just for those with bravia tvs...deffo dont think that is a fair approach. those features should be available for everyone, i agree.

i heard the VRR thing is linked to hdmi changing something in the standard in december. so im guessing they want there consoles and tvs to have it at the same time.

A universal standard is whats required and has already been set out by the HDMI forum sony for some reason just doesnt want to adopt the standard universal HDMI 2.1 features for some bizarre reason

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed that new features are being developed with only Sony screens in mind. Not impressed by that at all...

I can get on board with no DV support, and I did when I spunked a load on the GX, but to develop something that essentially bridges the gap that feature could have filled, and lock it to hardware that wasn't available at the time the PS5came out, with no indication that A) these features would come or B) would be locked to Sony TV's, is a massive piss take, in my eyes...

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed that new features are being developed with only Sony screens in mind. Not impressed by that at all...

I can get on board with no DV support, and I did when I spunked a load on the GX, but to develop something that essentially bridges the gap that feature could have filled, and lock it to hardware that wasn't available at the time the PS5came out, with no indication that A) these features would come or B) would be locked to Sony TV's, is a massive piss take, in my eyes...

I 100% agree with you but Sony do have TVs to sell so it is not in the slightest bit surprising, nor is the infuriating delay for VRR support on the PS5, simply because their own 2019, 2020 and 2021 TVs do not yet support it. What makes that especially aggravating is that my LG B9 TV, which in my opinion is a far better gaming TV than any Sony model, has had VRR since I bought it in August 2019 and I was using VRR on my now-four year old Xbox One X!!!

To be honest, I half expect that when VRR support does arrive on the PS5 that it'll only work properly on Sony TVs. I honestly would not put that past Sony to only test it on their own TVs and argue that the any issue on other TVs are down to them being "inferior" to Sony products! You read it here first!

This is the problem with manufacturers of both consoles and TVs. Microsoft had no commitment to any TV brand so they had no issues implementing VRR on the last gen Xbox One X (and, I believe, Xbox One S?) years ago. For all the criticisms aimed at Microsoft for the lack of Xbox exclusives (which is why I still own an Xbox One X and not an Xbox Series X), I absolutely cannot fault them when it comes to hardware and hardware supported features. They positively trounce Sony in that department to the point where I almost feel embarrassed for Sony due to the PS5's lack of features; features that have been supported on the Xbox consoles for years.

I could copy or move files in the background from one external drive to another four years ago on my Xbox One X and use the console to play a game or watch YouTube while it happened. That is something you still cannot do on the PS5 since it only supports one external drive for games, though this is less of an issue now they've unlocked the internal SSD expansion slot (but even that took them almost a year to do!!!). You are required to watch the files transfer on the PS5 and are unable to do anything else with the console until it is finished. Quite unbelievable really for a 2021 console and a major oversight by Sony in my opinion.

I’m not surprised they want to push their own screens but i do feel that Sony themselves are becoming a bit arrogant again like they were during the PS3 era

HDTV test checking out the sony Auto HDR Tone mapping feature for sony tvs and ps5. interestingly it doesnt set the peak brighness correctly sets it at 2000 nits when the tvs peak brightness is 1000 nits.

whats the point of having a feature thats there so stop you from incorrectly setting up your tvs HDR when it incorrectly setts it up

Yep, what a shambles. At least I'm not missing out on an awesome feature 😉
I wonder what the costs of all this wasted firmware development time is Vs Dolby Vision license?

Hi

So for people with LG C1 tvs, what features will they miss out on if they buy a PS5 rather than a Xbox Series X?

Hi

So for people with LG C1 tvs, what features will they miss out on if they buy a PS5 rather than a Xbox Series X?
Probably the only one you need to worry about: Game Pass

Thanks for your reply.

So does the PS5 now have ALLM, VRR, Dolby Vision like the Xbox Series X?
Nope 😞 PS5 is currently missing all those things, also missing Dolby Atmos gaming as Sony is focusing on 3d audio for headphones at the mo.

Unlikely, they would need to licence it for all sold consoles and its its sold very well so far and will likely continue to sell well the rest of this generation why spend on it now ? Sony have a very successful product in the PS5 , they have no motivation to make it better by spending money on additional features as it wouldnt affect sales much. If they think it will boost there own TV sales they might - there has to be a pay off for the spend. I think when they matched the Xbox price at launch (a good move) ) it pushed the loss per console a bit too far for them and hurt the feature set going forward.

Unlikely, they would need to licence it for all sold consoles and its its sold very well so far and will likely continue to sell well the rest of this generation why spend on it now ? Sony have a very successful product in the PS5 , they have no motivation to make it better by spending money on additional features as it wouldnt affect sales much. If they think it will boost there own TV sales they might - there has to be a pay off for the spend. I think when they matched the Xbox price at launch (a good move) ) it pushed the loss per console a bit too far for them and hurt the feature set going forward.
Fair points.
It wasn’t a deal breaker for me as I watch my movies on a dedicated Apple TV or Blu-ray player. :)

Nope 😞 PS5 is currently missing all those things, also missing Dolby Atmos gaming as Sony is focusing on 3d audio for headphones at the mo.
Headphones and televisions now, home theatre next.

The PS5 is still outselling the Xbox by roughly 2:1

yep so why add extra features that cost money to licence - it doesnt need to have them to sell, shame really. I have both but the PS5 is only good for the exclusives for these types of reasons and lacking features.

. I have both but the PS5 is only good for the exclusives for these types of reasons and lacking features.

Yeah agreed.

got both 5 and series x at launch and the latter is leaps and bounds ahead over the first year of the gen.

So many brilliant games on Xbox and many via Gamepass. It really is a gamers console. With so many cool new games, AAgames and the start of the MS first party output. It’s been a banging year.

MS have had Sony comfortably beaten in terms of hardware chops since last gen refresh machines And as per points in here Sony seem to be falling further back and opting for customs solutions were we already have a standard.

I too simply have my PS5 for Sony games only and that hasn’t panned out so well in year one…unless one skipped the PS4 gen as most PS5 has been remasters and remakes of old games. If you were new to Sony consoles not so bad but for long time PlayStation gamers like me, 90% of what Sony wanted to sell me on my brand new 450 quid PS5 this year was rehashes of games I have already bought and finished last gen on my ps4 and my pro :/ one year after launch and guess what, January's big Sony game is another remaster of games 4 years old. - yes both great but man, again?

2021 = Returnal, ratchet (again, but at least very pretty) and death loop (but that’s an ms IP and the definitive edition is on GP next year) there are others (destruction all stars, Kena ) but thats way below the level of output from Sony i buy their consoles for. I just wonder when it’ll get going…

So from Sony it’s GT7, horizon forbidden West up next - desperately needed but both are disappointingly, but for Sony cash generation reasons understandable, cross gen with ps4 now so it’ll be interesting to see how they elevate the PS5 game (beyond the obvious more Ps better fps) to justify the extra money for PS5 version (haha usually it’s just ‘haptics’ or ‘3D audio’ but maybe they’ll offer more in this regard given the lack of PS5 only version which could have used the SSD and IO speeds of PS5 properly)

Be interesting to see how Sonys version of Gamepass goes - if they go in with first party games or how they’ll compete - Sony don’t really have the cash for this kind of service at scale hence PSNow sub numbers have been so low despite having firsts mover advantage vs Gamepass.

Last edited:
Headphones and televisions now, home theatre next.
Yeah, they did say that. Hope they stick with it, though technically those with atmos home setups don't need 3d emulation like Tempest, just need the ps5 games to utilise the extra speakers. Expect we'll have a long wait if anything comes of it.

Yeah, they did say that. Hope they stick with it, though technically those with atmos home setups don't need 3d emulation like Tempest, just need the ps5 games to utilise the extra speakers. Expect we'll have a long wait if anything comes of it.
Except that's not how it works, it's not a simple case of utilising the other speakers, it still needs to be in the mix and a 3D codec like Atmos to decode and output it and seeing as Sony isn't paying for an Atmos license Tempest is needed, oh and Tempest is not emulation where you got that from I have no clue, it's the same as Atmos just Sonys version of it.

Having recently upgraded my TV to one with HDMI2.1 and the full feature set Im enjoying on Xbox I realise how big a deal this is. It’s pretty ridiculous for Sony to be this far behind the tech curve. Cutting edge console it is not.

They are Dolby partners for god sakes. VRR is the biggie it’s a complete game changer. Dolby vision is nice but only in some games. But come on this is no longer good enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom