Sab

Having recently upgraded my TV to one with HDMI2.1 and the full feature set Im enjoying on Xbox I realise how big a deal this is. It’s pretty ridiculous for Sony to be this far behind the tech curve. Cutting edge console it is not.

They are Dolby partners for god sakes. VRR is the biggie it’s a complete game changer. Dolby vision is nice but only in some games. But come on this is no longer good enough.

@ibw100 Do you own both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X? If so, can you please provide a side by side comparison on both? Why does VRR matter so much?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
@ibw100 Do you own both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X? If so, can you please provide a side by side comparison on both? Why does VRR matter so much?
I don’t but VRR absolutely is a god send for games that don’t hit a constant 60FPS. Or essential if you want to play at 120FPS. It’s the key to unlocking the higher framerates on console as unlike PC you aren’t offered a suite of options to ensure your framerate stays above its target. So the devs have to do it but obviously mostly will go for fluctuating framerate to save the shiny graphics.

A good example is Immortals Fenyx Rising where without VRR it can drop frames and tear yet with VRR it’s rock solid and hasn’t seen a single screen tear or stutter.

And playing MP FPS games at 120 is massive for reduced lag but again you need VRR.

Rieper47

Except that's not how it works, it's not a simple case of utilising the other speakers, it still needs to be in the mix and a 3D codec like Atmos to decode and output it and seeing as Sony isn't paying for an Atmos license Tempest is needed, oh and Tempest is not emulation where you got that from I have no clue, it's the same as Atmos just Sonys version of it.
Sorry maybe my wording wasn't clear or correct, but what I meant was, so far Tempest has only been used to emulate 3d audio from a left and right speaker, whether that's via headset or tv speakers. I'm not aware that there's any difference sending an lpcm signal from a ps5 vs ps4 which didn't have Tempest.
So Sony either need to get their Tempest solution to work with home theater setups and utilise height speakers or pay for the Dolby Atmos license before games can output height channel audio.

Either way, the console has been out for a while now and owners are still missing many features still.

Sab

Either way, the console has been out for a while now and owners are still missing many features still.

It is the games that are selling the PS5 rather than features. Halo Infinite was delayed by over a year. The PS5 exclusives, in my opinion, are a lot better than the exclusives on the Xbox.

Rieper47

It is the games that are selling the PS5 rather than features. Halo Infinite was delayed by over a year. The PS5 exclusives, in my opinion, are a lot better than the exclusives on the Xbox.
Oh absolutely, I purchased a ps5 because I prefer their exclusive games to Xbox. Just a shame Sony aren't keeping up on the features.

Doctor Hades

I bought an Xbox Series X in late December as a replacement/supplement to my aging PC built in 2013 with a four year-old GTX 1080 Ti because upgrading it makes no sense right now with the stock shortages and scalper prices. I bought my PS5 at launch in November 2020 and had no plans to buy the new Xbox originally.

However, I was getting more and more disappointed with the lack of support on my otherwise awesome PS5 for things like expandable SSD storage (finally supported but after many months of waiting) and stuff like VRR and ALLM which had been supported on my Xbox One X since 2018!!! So I decided I would get an Xbox Series X for the third-party games and it just so happened I found a bundle on GAME with FIFA 22 and an Xbox One Elite v2 controller and couldn’t resist it. It was selling for MSRP unlike every PC graphics card!

I have spent the last three marvellous weeks using it with Game Pass and, while I utterly love the PS5 for its superb exclusives which Microsoft have yet to come close to matching, I was really underwhelmed by some of the third-party titles from Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla and, more recently, Far Cry 6 which are plagued by ugly bouts of screen tearing or games like Resident Evil Village which run with a juddery framerate in the RT mode. Alas for me, I notice these issues and find them distracting to the point of marring my enjoyment of the games.

VRR on the Xbox Series X has been a transformative experience for me in much the same way as G-SYNC was on my PC back in 2017. AC: Valhalla and Far Cry 6 both run smoothly without any tearing at all and RE Village with RT mode feels like a smooth locked 60 fps game even though it is actually regularly dipping below its framerate target. Honestly, on a 55” LG B9 OLED TV this makes the games feel like the definitive versions that the TV deserves. I really cannot understate this. The PS5 versions now feel distinctly last gen. Tearing and stuttering? That’s so 2016, right?

If the PS5 had supported VRR from launch then I possibly would never have bought an Xbox SX so Sony only have themselves to blame for that. They make great consoles and games but Sony are utterly useless at supporting basic features that the competition have had for years in my opinion. I have three devices attached to my new Xbox: a 2 TB Crucial X8 SSD, the 1 TB Seagate expansion card and the 4 TB Xbox Game hard drive that I used to transfer all the games on from my old Xbox One X. I can move and copy games painlessly between all the drives and all this is done in the background too so I can get on with playing games, something you cannot do still on the PS5.

At this point, I’m wondering if VRR will ever come to the PS5, we still do not have the 8K support advertised in every console box, and if it does will it be some weird borked variant that works best only on Sony’s own TVs? Whatever, from now on I will be buying all my third-party games on Xbox SX and playing only the exclusives on my PS5. Sorry, Sony but too little, too late!

Last edited:
Totally and its this is why PS5 is an exclusive only device for me - they have brand leader syndrome and feel like they dont need to try anymore - less and less features, disk space, power etc games cost £70 , PS5 updates to old games cost money !

But I have to have GoW, Horizon etc because there amazing games but other than that they get nothing from me. Triggers are nice on the controller I guess also when there used.

Going to be interesting in the future when MS gets starfield out and a few other of the games it has coming and there is finally some kind of gaming identiy for Xbox beyond Halo, Forza and Flgiht Simulator. Maybe Sony will improve on PS6 if they feel the hurt - no reason to on PS5 is seems.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom