1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allders price matching, Their reply....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by oreoboy13, Jan 17, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Phoned Allders internet sales line and asked them to price match the Toshiba 42WH18B with :

1) Robertsons online :- £1545 and 1 year warranty
    http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/acatalog/Robertsons_Online_Projection_TV_33.html

2) www.audioisiononline.co.uk :- £1680 + £50 for 5 years warranty.

Anyway this is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail, I have investigated your price match on the Toshiba 42" wh18b. Unfortunately, as Allders Department Stores only price match on a like for like basis I cannot match the robertson-online price, as they do not offer a free DVD with this television.

However, audiovisiononline do offer the same DVD player free and therefore, I can offer a price match on this package. I must also take into account our offer of a free five year warranty, the same five year warranty from audiovisiononline is priced at £50.

Consequently, the price we will be matching is £1680 plus the £50 for the five year warranty a total of £1730.

I must highlight that none of these prices quoted include the stand for the television. If you wish to purchase the television with the stand the total cost if bought from ourselves will be £2148.99. The total cost if bought from audiovisiononline will be £1680 + £50 (5 year warranty) + "around" £170 (for the stand). (NB I have quoted around £170 as this is how it was quoted to myself), bringing their total up to "around" £1900.

If you wish to purchase this item with us please e-mail myself with a contact telephone number in order for me to take your credit card details.

I kind of thought fair enough, until i realised that robertsons-online do a free DVD player, and so i wrote back and i am know waiting for a reply, however they charge £400 for a 4 year warranty so......

The reason i made this post is:

1) So other ppl can do it
    2) Can anybody recommended a site that does it at a lower price?
    3) Can i get round them charging me for the warranty, by saying it was advertised for free?

Any other input would be great.

2. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I posted a lengthy reply to your original one "Need help with Allders price matching......pls" as to what I think is the legal position.

Basically, all the price matches available by Allders, John Lewis, Comet, etc tend to do like for like on the complete package offered. They will not price match on the individual parts i.e. the tv, stand, warranty.

Its a bit of a cr*ppy way of reneging on a price match but it is (usually) in the terms and conditions.

Call me cynical but this seems to be a rather backdoor way of all the retailers getting people to pay higher prices as if they advertised it separate prices for each item then most buyers would a) not bother paying for the 5yr guarantee and b) they would have to price match a lot more internet retailers :D

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil, you are not cynical, it seems to me that the bigger a company gets the more sure of itself it becomes. I can't wait for the day when they fall... Many smaller, independent retailers offer excellent service and not neccesarily at a premium. Worth shopping around. If such as John Lewis sold goods at a fair price in the first place then they wouldn't need to price match.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get Allders to do a price match on Sunday.

They checked the usual things like making sure the stand was included.

They said they wouldn't throw in the 5 year warranty but would still match the price of the TV.

I wanted a warranty so I said I would pay the same price that I had seen on the web.

I got them to price match against HiSpek.co.uk

In doing so they discounted the TV down from £1599 to £1099 and I then paid the extra £159 for the extended 5 year warranty.

I probably should have checked to see how much their extended warranty would have been, but I still managed to save £340 on the shop display price so I'm not complaining.

Just have to wait and see if turns up as promised now :)

5. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    John Lewis price matched a Philips 32PW6515 with Hispek and still gave me the free 5 year warranty. So not everyone only matches like for like.

JL also delivered the TV for free when Hispek wanted £20.

So I got the TV for the same price as Hispek and JL included a free 5 year warranty and free delivery.

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    What's the stand that I see mentioned? Is it a glass stand? All the pictures of the TV simply show the TV resting on what look like two boxes, I assume these are for the Projector housing?

Can anybody provide a URL that shows the TV on the stand?

cheers

Gavin

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    What's the stand that I see mentioned? Is it a glass stand? All the pictures of the TV simply show the TV resting on what look like two boxes, I assume these are for the Projector housing?

Can anybody provide a URL that shows the TV on the stand?

cheers

Gavin