1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allders price match

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gugbe, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read a lot on this forum about John Lewis price matching, but I live no where near a JL store.
    I want to get Allders to price match for the Panny 32PD30 (they quoted me £1299, so around 300 more than online prices)
    So, does anyone have any experience using the Allders price match??

Thanks.

2. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local branch expressed no interest in picking up the phone to check on price and stock availability with a high street competitor. They said they would only price match if presented with an advert or written quote from the high street competitor concerned. After a bit of muttering on my part, they knocked £50 off the television (10 per cent of the price). While still a good £100 more than the competition, I went with the deal because of the 5-year guaranteee, 6 months free, and the shop's reputation of no-quibble exchange/refund. (I've already returned on television, and it looks as if this one's going back as well!)

3. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well, not very promising.
    However, I will make a point of the rather large pink signs they have all over the shop telling me about their price match - might get something.
    Trouble is, should I pay £300 more for a Panny 32PD30 just for the extra warranty??

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Is this a problem because you want to go along personally, or are you worried about delivery charges?

I'm over an hour by road from JL Bluewater, but did my negotiating on the phone and delivery was still free!

Why not give them a ring, you've nothing to lose!

5. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Point!
    Got to be worth a phone call.
    I suppose the only problem is what happens if (/when as is a PD30!) I need a replacement - I would rather go along personally then!
    What is JL like when returning over the phone?

6. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi.. new to the forum.... be gentle!

I visited JL Bluewater last Sunday with a view to buying a Sony KD32DX200. They were not particularly helpful with price matching, but I found that you got a better response from the telesales team. Waiting to here if I can save a further £150 and take advantage of the 5 year warranty!

On another point, any views on the new Tosh 32ZP48? I have found a deal including a RDRS32S multi-region DVD HD Recorder for £1199 + £30 delivery. Any thoughts?

7. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, not a bad price for a new TV + DVD recorder.
    The ZP48 doesn't look that different to the old one though (and I do prefer black)

Shame about your experience with JL - will let the forum know how I get on with them. Could just be the luck of the draw as to who you get to speak to.

8. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On account that my second telly is now going back to Allders, I today rang 2 branches of JL regards price matching on a different model I'm considering. In keeping with comments on other threads, the response I got was that they will only price match if they (JL) stock the model.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    For those wishing to pricematch at John Lewis:

Speaking to the "Undersales Dept" is generally more productive than to the normal Sales Assistants.

Even then it's necessary to persevere, but remember all the potential savings!

10. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Will give it a go. I believe the John Lewis in Sheffield is the closest to me (I'm in York) - hopefully they will be willing to deliver that far.
    Anybody else know anything more on the Allders front??

11. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - I got an e-mail from allders today in responce to me asking them to price match (Robertson's):
    "We can do the TX32PD30 for a total price of £1243.04 with a 5 year
    guarantee. This takes into account the fact that we offer a 5 year
    Guarantee with our TV's but Robertson's only offer a standard 1 year
    guarantee, with an option of buying the 5 year one for £180.04."

Also, have now seen the 32PD30 in a local shop for £1070 - but this is a closing down sale price - any chance of allders matching this??

12. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting. Can I ask, did you use the email address on the site? How did you get them to match an "unlisted" internet dealer?

13. andi

andi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.buyyourav.com has the 32pd30 for £979.49

Not the best delivery or service, but I ordered a Loewe from there and it came in the end, and it was good.

14. Pedros8

Pedros8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren H, Can you tell me where you got the quote for the Tosh Telly & HDR... My 1st post to. Finding the whole thing a complete minefield. I had my heart set on the PD30, not anymore however. Even in the latest What Hifi best telly guide the PD30 is as close to perfection as a TV can get!! I feel the problem is compacted by the general lack of expertise available in showrooms...most sets look lousy due to poor reception, very few have DVD's plugged up as standard and sales assistants generally don't have a clue....Was in RGB last Saturday and the guy swore blind the Tosh was capable of switching to 50hz (the menu appeared to contradict him).Anyone know for sure? Only Sevenoaks S & V seem to know there stuff and they only sell Plasma & LCD in the branches I've been to.... Sorry about the rant, but it's made me feel better...Anyone know of a good, helpful "nothings too much trouble" showroom. I live in SE London but would be happy to travel. Cheers

15. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cerat - used allders price match patch at http://www.allders.com/PriceMatch.go?new=true

Anyway, the plot has now got another twist (a rather good one, infact)
    Comet.co.uk have the 32PD30 for £1028.19 - so should have no problems getting allders to price match that (and hopefully give me 5 years warranty.)
    I am feeling rather happy!!!

16. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Pedros8,

If you fancy a PD30, then don't give up so easily!

As you'll see if you look through this Forum, get a good'n and you'll be laughing.

You'll also see how many Forum members recommend John Lewis.

Good luck.

17. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for one am willing to stick it out for a good PD30.

However my attempts to get allders.com to price match comet.co.uk hae failed again.
    "Price matching applies to merchandise in stock at competitors within 14 days
    of purchase, and will only be undertaken where a competitor provides the
    same TV or product guarantee offer. Unfortunately on this occasion we cannot
    proceed with your request."

Doesn't even give me an exact reason why they will not match. Grrrrrrr