Allardyce bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Sport' started by andytabor, Jan 9, 2008.

1. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sam Allardyce has just left Newcastle by "mutual consent"

rumours of Alan Shearer taking the hotseat.

2. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    Allardyce was in charge at St James' Park for 24 games
    Newcastle have ended Sam Allardyce's managerial reign after eight months. The club, currently 11th in the Premier League, said the decision had been reached by "mutual agreement". Allardyce, who was in charge for 24 games, said: "I am disappointed to be leaving Newcastle but I wish the club all the best for the future." Former captain Alan Shearer has been strongly linked with the post but chairman Chris Mort said: "A new manager has not yet been appointed." First team coach Nigel Pearson will take charge of the team for Saturday's Premier League meeting with Manchester United. Earlier on Wednesday, Allardyce had attended a news conference ahead of that game but gave no hint that his time at the club might be coming to an end. Indeed, the 53-year-old had spoken at length about his plans for the January transfer window. However, shortly afterwards, Newcastle announced news of his departure with a statement on their official website. Allardyce took over in May following Glenn Roeder's resignation but he has come under increasing pressure this season, culminating in a run of three straight league defeats over the festive period. His last game in charge was a 0-0 draw at Championship Stoke in the FA Cup third round on Sunday. He becomes the eighth Premier League managerial casualty this season.

3. BlackCountryBob

BlackCountryBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    How on earth do Newcastle expect to win anything if they keep sacking managers, a manager needs time to build a team he wants that can be successful and while they weren't gonna win any trophies this year they also weren't gonna get relegated so the fans should have just given Big Sam a until the end of next season.

Good luck finding a new job Sam, i'm sure there is a team somewhere who would appreciate your ability to wheel and deal to build a competitive team.

4. gosties

gosties

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I used to have a soft spot for Newcastle but the club is repeatedly descending into farce. It seems to be a revolving door at the club. I have had the impression for the last few months that Shearer's shadow at the club, has more or less meant Allardyce was doomed.

I believe that Shearer or whoever replaces Allardyce will last 18 months tops and the process will start again. The club are big in regards to fanbase but in trophies and titles are an irrelevance. Supposedly around 40 years without a major trophy. They have delusions of grandeur. The club needs long term stability in regards management, but I believe the circus of the last few years will continue.

I don't know who will take the job but it won't be anyone of the calibre of Mourinho etc.

5. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    I really can't see why Shearer would want to take the job at this stage anyway! :confused: ... He is rightly idolised by the fans, but it's only ultimately gonna end one way ... in tears... with the "faithful" turning on him, beit next year or 3 years time! :rolleyes: He would be far better off to learn his trade elsewhere and then take the Newcastle job, say in 10 years time...

6. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    exactly, they need stability, they're looking for quick fixes, sam allardyce needed time, at least a season i think, fair enough there has been some duff results but mid table is hardly disasterous.

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    My money's on Martin Jol 4/1.

8. alaniho

alaniho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    absolutely crazy, 24 games, what do they expect!!, he really needed 2 years to show a significant improvement with this lot!! :rolleyes:

I can see them appointing Shearer, getting a few good results, before sinking back to the usual mediocre merry-go-round that is Newcastle United !!:confused:

9. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +418
    Alex Ferguson - given time and now look

David Moeys - given time and now look

Its all down to the fans IMO, they want instant success, thing is with Newcastle is i dont think i was alive the last time they won anything, they are just small fry with a big following, and if they keep changing their boss they will happily stay that way.

I think Sam could have done a job there.

10. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Good point. Seems rarer and rarer these days for managers to be given a reasonable crack of the whip.

11. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    The worst 'lets all slag off newcastle' thread ever. :thumbsdow

He played terrible, negative football, played players out of position, and were it not for a few fortunate results, we would be in the bottom three. Our 11th position flatters us, but of course, we all expect too much for wanting more than being among the worst premier league teams in the league. Handing Derby County 4 out of their 7 points. Losing to Wigan. Should have lost to Stoke. And those are just the recent results.

:rolleyes:

Bad timing perhaps, but they've probably got someone lined up. He was never the present regimes choice anyway.

These blokes are no mugs, they know they either support the manager, meaning give them money to spend, or sack them.

With the players they have got, they should be doing at least a little better than being a team which almost certainly IS going to be dragged into a relegation battle, and would have been with or without Allardyce's help.

12. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    Robson stunned by Allardyce departure

Wed 09 Jan, 07:45 PM

Former Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson admits he was "stunned" to hear of Sam Allardyce's departure as manager of the club.Robson, who lifted the club away from relegation after taking charge in 1999 and led them to Champions League qualification, was himself sacked by Newcastle in 2004. Allardyce has left his post by "mutual agreement" after a poor start to the job, having taken over in May. Robson told BBC Radio Five Live: "Like most people I was very surprised and stunned by the news. "I was in his company on Tuesday night, I went to see Newcastle reserves play Sunderland reserves and Sam was there. "So hearing the news was without doubt a surprise, and I am stunned. That's the eighth Premiership manager we've lost this season already. The pressure is too much now in the Premiership. "The dismissals of manager are coming fast and frequent and it's rather sad for the game in many respects."

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    What is more of a poison chalace? The England job or the Newcastle job?

14. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I find this all a bit sad

one minute the man is touted as the next England manager to bring the passion, grit and pride back to Englands national team.

The next he is sent packing after being in charge for only 24 games.
    Why would any manager take the job after they way they have treated sam.
    Geordies seem to have this illusion that Alan Shearer will be the saviour, He is a football pundit who talks a good game could he transpose that onto the pitch with the players Newcastle have got I very much doubt it.

Money rules again

15. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Does this mean Barton will be F/S now.;)

16. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am a Newcastle fan and am getting sick and tired of the impatience of the fans and the pressure this is putting on the manager.

6 managers since Keegan in 10 years - Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness, Roeder and of course Allardyce. Did Newcastle United invent the revolving door? It would certainly appear so!

Poison chalice is an apt term I have to admit!

Any big name manager would have to be completely crazy to take over. I can see it now.....new manager.....new dawn.......this is the one.......10 games later, he'll be getting booed off.

Look at Arsene Wenger, how close was Ferguson to getting sacked back in the day?

Yes, I'm aware football has changed beyond belief since the late 1980's but whoever we take on next must have time to see the job through.
    On paper, when everyone is fit we have a very good side, bar defence -which has always been our weak point.

As for who it will be..................

Please not Steve Mclaren!!

Martin Jol, Mourihno, Hiddink??

My money would be on a foreigner with some serious European experience.

If they give the post to Shearer (something I do not agree with at this time) they're asking for trouble. That said to be fair to Shearer, Keegan had no managerial experience at all when he turned up in 1992. I know he did not win anything but he certainly turned round the club from nearly going down to Division 2 in 1992 to being 3rd in the Premiership in 1993/94.

Who knows?????

One fed up and dispondent Newcastle United fan.

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Bring back Souness :rotfl:

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Big Sam proved his pedigree at Bolton who went from European hopefuls to relegation candidates the moment he left, yet he can't even be given a season to reshape the Newcastle team? 24 games is no time at all especially with all the dead weight in the club. I thought with a new board/owner at Newcastle things might be different but they still refuse to believe they are nothing more than a mid table team with a big stadium just because they oh so nearly won the title 10 or so years ago. If they ever want to be more than that, they need to ride out a few 'bad' seasons with the same manager until he's got the player's trust and respect and their play starts to improve. Slating Allardyce for being a 'long ball merchant' is stupid. When Man Utd do it, it's direct football, when Newcastle do it, it's 'hit n hope'

19. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    Shearer rules out Newcastle job

Shearer scored 206 goals in his time with Newcastle
    Sources close to Alan Shearer have confirmed to the BBC this evening that he is extremely unlikely to be the next manager of Newcastle.
    Shearer says he is currently very happy with his job on Match of the Day. The former England captain, who played for the Magpies for nearly 10 years and ended his career at St James' Park, had been strongly linked with the post.

20. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Spot on Marc, i would just add that Fat Sam took us from being relegation favourites to semi regular European participants (twice in 3 seasons) to relegation favourites after he did the dirty on us. Im sure that given 2 or 3 seasons to work his magic, Fat Sam would have turned things around. While theres no way Newcastle could challenge the elite 4 teams in the Prem, a regular Uefa cup place and the occasional CL spot could have been achievable or even a domestic cup win. Its just a pity that money now totally dominates the game, and instant success is required by both the fans and the club.

21. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +793
    Sorry I believe that the club made the right choice.

Big Sam was ruining Newcastle. They were awful to watch and getting worse.

The club is rotten to the core and there are just too many players that are picking up the wages and cruising on 'easy street'.

The club pays massive wages to the likes of Owen, Viduka, Butt, Martins, etc but they aren't producing.

Perhaps its time that the fans accepted that they aren't in the same league as the Arsenal and Utds of this world.

But I think they are better shot of Big Sam. He appears to be one of those managers better suited to a small club with little ambitions.

I just hope that he isn't in the running for the Rep Ireland job now.

22. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i thought you said he'd be better suited to a job like that :rotfl:

23. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    I don't know, but for £3 million a year I'd have a good swig of that chalice.

24. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +793
    I must remember to cheer on the mighty England in next years Euro Champio....oh wait, thats right.:hiya:

25. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I heard a bloke on the radio saying that McLaren has been tipped for the job...no joke!:eek:

Personally I'd like to see Keegan back - although has time moved on too much from his last spell? Premiership is a different animal from his glory days in early/mid-'90s.

As a "neutral" it would be a bloody good laugh to see Souness back there again... :laugh:

26. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    Gerard Houllier perhaps?

27. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Yes please! I miss his post match talks! Talk about talking crap for fun! :D There must be something about the French, you know, 'trawlers' etc, 'I didn't see it myself'...........

Mind you he hasn't got a bad record and he might actually (really!) turn Newcastle around.

Not sure about the sacking tbh. On the one hand I agree with RMCF, in that Newcastle have played some shamefully poor stuff this year that would have resulted in rotten tomatoes being bunged at the team in days of yore, but on the other, how much of it is down to the players and the lack of thought coming down from the, quite shocking, board?

Big Sam is a proven talent, and he might well have turned around a team with less ego's on display and more willing to graft. As it is he's just the latest in a string of failed managers on Tyneside.

28. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Sorry its been said a million times before but i think its a joke.

24 games??? Its simply not enough for any manager. Newcastle were mid table and with 14 games to go could of quite easily finished in a UEFA cup place with big sam in charge.

IMO any self respecting manager would be mad to take that job and risk tarnishing there career.

As mentioned before Moyes is the best example. Its taken him a few years but now look at Everton. They are a force to be reckoned with in the prem now and for the forseeable future are a top 6/8 side.

29. Simon_143

Simon_143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I am not surprised to see him go. He was never going to produce the kind of football Newcastle fans were going to be happy with.

I know he didn't get much time but even if he was there for years I still can't see him producing a team that play attractive attacking football, Bolton although effective under him were never pretty to watch.

I do think Newcastle have to be careful with the next choice of Manager, the job is becoming a poison challice, they simply cannot continue to hire and fire Manager's in the same manner as they are currently, eventually they will run out of candicates to take over. They also have to give them time, it takes years to turn a team around not months (well unless your Sven :D). They face Manchester United on Staurday, Newcastle have seen 10 managers come and go in the time that Sir Alex has been at Old Trafford.

30. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    As much as I really don't , like the man, Allardyce really wasn't given enough time.

Their fans have a lot to answer for. The booing of the team was really disgraceful. They are mid table won't get relegated and have some half decent players.

At City we've been that position, but never turned on a manager like that. Their Chairman sits in with the fans, he would have heard every bit of abuse thrown at Allardyce. The fans effectively got him sacked.

The Shearer thing has not helped, must have been like a noose around his neck, with the fans wanting the return of the "Prodigal Son". Shearer can not manage Newcastle at the moment:rolleyes:

Given time, Sam would have turned it round, but the fans thought differently. Well you've got your wish. They do say you reap what you sow. Good luck Newcastle, you're going to need it.........