All Yamaha 650 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F G Evans, Feb 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of questions which i would be grateful could be answered.

1. I have found a level button on the front of the amp which has a bass, treble, bypass setting. Can movie users tell me what setting if any they have these levels on for bass and treble. As i use the amp only for movies does it make any difference in any event what these settings are set too. Am i right in thinking that this level button is there simply for enjoying stereo music ie in pure direct mode etc.

2. When using auto set up my cross over is set to 160 hz. I am using small satelites (Tannoy 5.1fx) and the range of these satelites starts at 140 HZ. Should i therefore leave the settings at 160 hz or change the cross over to 120hz the next level down. I have the cross over at 120 hz but on occasions the rear speakers have a tendancy to vibrate and make an audible noise. However the front and centre speakers do not vibrate. I do not know whether this is because of using the wrong cross-over or whether it is simply the speaker stands themselves. The rear speakers arefixed to the wall with the brackets that come with the speakers whilst the front and centre ones are simply placed on a flat surface.

3. If i leave the cross over at 160hz will i be losing any sound quality. My thinking is that because the satelites ony operate at 140hz and the subwoover range is from 45hz to 140 hz i will be missing those sounds that are in the 140 to 160 hz range. Am i right in thinking that when set at 160 hz the satelites will not pick up sounds in the range of 140hz to 160 hz because the cross over will be sending that sound to the subwoover which can not pick up those frequencies. I had set the cross over to 120 thinking that altough i am missing out on the sub woofer picking up sounds over 120 hz the satelites will be picking up the sounds that are over 140 hz. Is it better therefore to set the cross over to 120 or 160 hz.

4. What DSP setting do most people find the best with movies.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also one further question will setting the cross over to the wrong frequency damage the speakers. ie if is keep the cross over at 120hz will i damage the rear speakers as they will be receieving frequencies over 120hz when they areonly meant to deal with those over 140 hz.

3. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't damage anything, with so little "wrong-doing". The amp works how you set it up, the speakers try to produce the sound, but if it's too low for them, you can't hear it. There is a significant gap though, between the sub and speakers, from 100Hz-140Hz. That you can fix only by getting better speakers and sub.. Don't try to overload them with too much volume, it won't sound nice.

P.S. 140Hz Xover is better I guess. That way speakers are handled easier, but the sub will be heard = localized.

4. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the amp is that it does not have a 140hz cross over setting - only 120 and 160

5. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please give me an answer to my first post above.

6. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to questions 2 and 3 I would have your speakers set to 'large' and the bass output set to 'both' with a crossover of 160hz. That way bass below 160hz will be sent to both speakers and subwoofer and naturally the speakers will cut off at 140hz and the sub will kick in at 140hz.

If you set your crossover to 120hz then you would be losing the frequency between 120hz and 140hz.

A good test of gaps in the bass is to use a DVD with a THX optimiser on it (such as Pirates of The Caribbean or Finding Nemo) and go through the sound setup. Somewhere in there there's a bass sweep thing will identify gaps in the bass (if the sound you hear isn't continuous).

Might be worth emailing Tannoy and see what they suggest as well.

In answer to question 4, don't use the DSP settings! Leave it as Dolby Digital or DTS so that you hear it like the movie makers intended. Apart from DD or DTS the only one i use is Pro Logic 2 for 2 channel sources.

7. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i set the satelites to large won't i damage the speakers though.

8. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but whats the difference between 'Straight' and 'Dolby Digital' or 'DTS' on the Yamaha amps?

9. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see how you could . The only difference it would be making is that the amp is giving them the full frequency range, and any speakers (stand mount for example) connected to a normal amp will receive frequencies that they are incapable of reproducing but they don't get damaged (or at least I hope they don't!)

10. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    "Straight" means that the input signals bypass the sound field processing and are reproduced 'as is' through the respective channels, with only YPAO and bass management applied. It's no different from "Sur. Standard" mode, except in the latter the selected matrix decoder (Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6) will kick in whenever a 2-channel signal is received.

The "Sur. Enhanced" processing is fairly decent too even though it can be a bit lively, since it primarily attempts to simulate the multi-speaker surround arrays of a movie theater rather than arbitrary acoustics as in the "Movie Theater" modes. The "Enhanced" mode may be inappropriate for discrete multichannel signals, but for matrix decoded surround it can improve the spaciousness of the surround a bit.

11. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Satellites should always be set to small. Xover could be 100-140Hz. 160Hz is too much for any sub.. If set to 120, the speakers go maybe 130, and the sub also. There isn't too big of a gap then. I'd have it at 120Hz. But you should try it yourself.