1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All TOSHIBA 36 & 32 ZP18 OWNERS

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dts borg, Nov 7, 2001.

1. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would like every one who owns a Toshiba 36 or 32 ZP18 model to add there fault findings here. If you all help I will contact TOSH with all our posts..........They can mug one punter at a time but not when you hit them as a group.

Don't get me wrong I love this set but, im on my second & await my third 36 model.

FOR £ 2000 I want it Right.

FAULTS WITH MY TOSH 36zp18

1. The sides a far brighter than the middle ( a pain when watching in the dark )

2. vertical staining, a dirty looking screen ( I really hate this big time )

3. Brightness flickering ( mine is slight )

4. horizontal lines that open up and close on sceen changes ( if you sit close you can really see this fault. Really shows up in the face of the person your watching)

5. Horizontal tilt starting in the middle going left ( I can't see all the sky news logo & when using the menu it all bends up at the top ) engineer rejected my fist set for this as it would need a work shop repair.

Second set came same fault but also had a scrached screen
    :mad:

Hope you can all add because im fed up with TOSHIBA telling me there are no problems with these models & what AV forum (WHO,WHAT & WHERE)

Will keep all that reply up to date with instant messages

.......................MAKE IT SO

KEITH

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry dude but got my 32ZP18B on monday (after the biggest amount of hassle ever from QED, they delivered the 36ZP and charged me for it:( and then took a month to sort out refunds delivery etc.) After all the problems i had been reading about on the forum i was really worried, but not a single one of the faults present. Geometry spot on, no tiliting, no bleeding of colours, no brightness flares, no dodgy blacks no humming etc. God what a gorgeous tele!!:D

Keep on at them until you get a good one. One other thing mine is from the latest batch (maybe the problems with QED weren't such a problem after all!)

Hope they sort yours soon,

Mike Ede

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the 36" and have noticed the vertical bars, but only very faint on solid screens of colour (unused AV inputs), the 'dirty screen' effect, but again only when looking for it and the graduated black (end credits of tv programs, no where near as bad from DVD).

Not even all of these added together would make me change the set, I LOVE this TV.:D

Serial number 39170248

4. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problems with my 32":
    1. Occasionally get vertical bands of varying brightness near the centre of the screen - I think I'm the only person to get this.
    2. Constant buzzing from the power supply
    3. Another, deeper buzzing which gets proportionally louder when bright images are displayed.

John

5. rudgej

rudgej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for a month or so - no problems at all. :)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith,
    I can only agree with everything you've said. I'm on my second one now and awaiting my third! I rang Toshiba today and surprise surprise, this is the first they've heard of this, "it's our best selling tv ever" that may be so, but it doesn't stop it from being faulty. Too many people have put up with thiese various faults and maybe Tosh have got complacent. Let us know how you get on Keith, you can count on me for any support you need.

Cheers,

7. steve35

steve35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to send my third one back, and have given up on the tv, am going to get a JVC 32WFT1 with seperate amp and speakers instead.
    The faults Ive encountered have been:-
    Clockwise rotated screen
    Largely differing sized black bars on 4:3, 16:9
    Brightness fluctuation
    Green bars top and bottom on dark scenes
    Warped screen
    Bad bleeding down right side of screen
    Vertical staining

I think thats it but Ive lost count so there could be others. I must say QED have been very good throughout though.
    Strangely I noticed this tv is no longer on QED's website...too many faulty ones?
    Keep me posted.
    Steve.

8. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your input so far. keep them coming ( pros and cons )
    Come on you lot that ain't posting I know you have had problems with your sets. Need all the help I can get to hit Toshiba.

This could help us all..................... ;)

Will message all when there are enough posts.

Thanks again

Keith.

9. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My picture is normally excellent, except under certain circumstances (eg very light sky/ snad backgrounds) I can see:

- faint vertical bars down sides of screen
    - slight blue/greenish tinge in the top left corner
    - 'dirty' screen

On a plain black screen, I also get grey at the edges becoming darker towards the centre of the screen.

I also have a slightly rotated picture.

I've had an engineer out, who's seen these problems, and improved the tilt (although it's still not perfect). He wasn't able to make any improvements in the other areas though, and put them down to common widescreen problems.

Having said all that, I'm still pleased with the TV, and don't notice these issues very often. However, if these are all common faults, then I agree that they should be bought to Toshiba's attention, and they should endeavour to provide a repair.

Nigel.

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 32zp18P

I had the dirty screen effect. Quite noticeable at first, although it does seem to be reducing as time goes on. Still very noticeable on white backgrounds.

There is a slight discolouration at the sides. The back becomes slightly blueish.

The set requires to be turned off and back on again after a couple of hours use to clear up the colour staining. Again, this appears to be on happen less. There are no speakers or other things which could cause interference nearby.

11. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just returned a 32" Problems were all minor but added together were enough for the engineer to recommend a swap. (For 36":D )

1. Slight drop of picture from centre to bottom right 2mm.
    2. Clockwise rotation 5mm (limit of 'within spec' apparently!)
    3. Blacks were a little bight around the edge of the screen. Very minor.
    4. Buzzing from the 'CRO coils'. Worst with Super Live. Couldn't live with this. Particularly bad according to engineer.

Its encouraging to see that some people have this set with no problems. Ignoring the above (if you know what I mean) the picture was truly stunning. Get rid of these and I'll be a very happy man. Here's hoping! 36" should arrive Tue or Thr next week. I'll let you know!

12. Splimcity

Splimcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone!

Good to see all the replies.

I've had my set for nearly six months, and have been awaiting an engineer for the last 6 weeks (although I have not chased as hard as I could, but why should I have to!).

My problems are:-

1. Green trails on bright moving objects if against a darker background (I have posted this twice before!) which are disturbingly noticeable, and can ruin a darker scene! (I do sit only 6-8 ft from the tv due to the room limitations - whether this amplifies the problem or not - but I cringe when the inevitable nightime scenes occur)

2. Text on the natural scan setting can go blocky, to the extent that if credits or words move across the screen at anything close to the speed american credits appear, you can not read them!

3. I too have the lightening effect towards the left and right margins of the screen but not normally that noticeable (my contrast and brightness settings stay below 50)

4. I am also starting to notice the 'overbright' backgrounds some people have been complaining about (loss of detail)

5. The grainy effect is also present but only really noticeable on low contrast scenes (actually, BBC 1 seems to show off the worst of this problem for some reason, but it is still visible on other channels and formats).

6. Quite noticeable distortion at bottom left of screen,

7. Picture (4:3) off centre, although this may be easily rectified (I'm sure you can tell me!)

I feel like I am being very picky, especially as I have never had a large telly before and therefore do not know what to expect and have nothing I can reference with, however I do find the first fault I listed very hard to live with (and this may be inherent in tube technology) so would appreciate an engineers view (if he ever arrives!).

PERHAPS PLASMA TECHNOLOGY IS FOR ME (but not the PRICE!)

Thanks for listening (................again!)

13. stewboss

stewboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I've got probs on 1,2,& 3 and buzzing also.

Am awating a replacement (2 weeks and counting)

Tosh can't say they're not aware of the problem as it was highlighted in one of the monthleys.

14. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Serial No. 31170660

I've owned my 36ZP18P for almost 2 months. In this time I've noticed many of the problems already mentioned but just for the record will list below:

1. Screen geometry problem on the right hand side pulls the top and bottom of the picture towards the centre.

2. Screen warped about 2-3 inches down right hand side.

3. Ghosting on bold flat overlapping shapes.

4. Brightness fluctuates when majority of the screen is one shade of colour. Notice mostly when Gray. Not so bad in Natural Scan mode.

5. Both left/right sides lighter than centre of display.

6. Shadow vertical bars down left/right of display.

Anyone reading the above list may well be put off buying one of the tv sets but I still have to say the overall picture is amazing but for £2000 I want the thing right.
    I've been badgering the dealer for an engineer visit for 3 weeks. They did offer to replace the set with another but after reading the same problems by many other owners I had zero faith in the new set being any different. So I opted for an engineer visit but unfortunately it turns out that the service centre recommended will only look at Geometry problems in their workshop. So the tv is being picked up tomorrow.
    If the top 3 problems aren't sorted upon it's return I think I'm going to ask for my money back and choose a different manufacturer.

Edited on 21/11/01

Thought I'd add this to my original post before DTS produces the letter to send to Toshiba.

My TV was picked up on the 9th November and taken to a service center in Slough called ServiceSpeed. They were supposed to pick it up several days before but no one turned up after I booked the time off work. I was never given an explaination for this and was simply told they can't contact their engineer at the moment. Well I'm not too sure how these guys came up with that title as the service is non-existent and they certainly aren't fast. I phoned them today (21/11/01) as my tv has still not returned. I was told it was being looked at as I spoke (sure it is). I also phoned last week and was told they were about to start work so I think I can assume it's all bull****. I'm totally ****ed off at the moment as I've spent a lot of money on a product that I don't even have and have no idea when it will be returned or if it will get fixed. From reading all the other posts I doubt Toshiba could supply me with a problem free tv.
    I'm waiting for a phone call back from the shop I purchased it from (RGB) at the moment. I'll be surprised if anyone rings though.

Update: 02/12/01

Still haven't got my tv back. Spoke to the service center and their technician says he can't see anything wrong with the tv. I knew this would happen as they refused to come to my home so I couldn't show them what was wrong. Apparantly they're waiting for a Toshiba technician to have a look as a second opinion. If they'd just sent someone round to mine I could have shown them examples:

1. The Bloomberg News channel on SKY with how the scrolling letters from the right gracefully curve their way upward as they appear on screen and the top and bottom horizontal lines both pull toward the centre.

2. Fight Club aiport scene - How the contrast/brigtness completely loses control and appears more like a nightclub scene as it fluctuates between bright and dark.

3. Charlies Angels end music credits - Crazy ghosting to the right hand side of black/red divide bars.

I notices these problems on many things but had noted the above points to show the technician.

When I phoned Toshiba support I was told I couldn't trust the signals from SKY or my DVD player as it was multi-region and I quote, "Had been tampered with after manufacture".
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD was faulty as that's Toshiba too ;) (SD-900E)
    Fortunately for me this argument doesn't hold cause the DVD's give the same effects from my PS2 so it's gotta be the TV.

The saga contines...

15. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just found my sixth fault with my 36 the buzz has arrived.
    Thought it was my sub then found it was coming from the set :mad:

Hope my Third set comes soon..............

What really gets me with this TV is when watching SHREK R1 dvd
    via component RGB cable This set just comes alive, the picture is
    So crisp " n " sweet.

Why can't she be this way always......:eek:

16. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the buzzing on my set also. It tends to only become lound enough to annoy when in "CINEMA" mode. As I don't use the mode much I didn't think it was worth mentioning. To combat it I usually just turn the volume up.

I haven't got Shrek yet but for me Toy Story 1/2 look amazing. Compared to my old tv the whole image just comes to life. If it wasn't for these niggling problems the set would be perfect.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the brightness flicker, black shade variation, and the color staining on mine... :( No buzz or geometry problems though.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just got the following reply from Toshiba regarding my Tosh 36".

Dear Mr Lyons,

Thank you for your reply and serial number.

Sorry for the delay but I was out of the office yesterday.

I have informed our Technical Manager ( Mr Chris Harding )of the serial
    number of your set and he informs me that this has had the picture
    brightness alteration carried out in production so your television is set
    to our latest production specifications and so would appear to be operating
    correctly.

B@ll0cks!

19. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Like the letter Placebo see that helped........:mad:

I called Tosh Again on Friday RE: Brightness flicker. There reply ...No known faults with the 36 or 32 Tosh................ I hate being TREATED like a fool.

CALL

Toshiba Tec support 0800 281 126

If you like a good laugh.................:p

Still waiting for a few more post's before I contact Toshiba head office on our behalfs.

.........They make em...they can put em right

20. naim

naim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    why dont you sort some of the problems out yourself, press mute
    on remote , press mute again and hold at same time press menu
    on the tv and hold now you should be in service mode press up or down on the channel rocker button that should give you settings they are set at if you press the a/v button each time you press the screen will change to R G B and a cross hatched screen so you can set
    the geometry,width,height ,corners where they are bowing ect
    PLEASE DON`T FORGET TO WRITE THE SETTING DOWN BEFORE YOU CHANGE THEM,to change the settings press up and down
    on the volume button ,i had no problems plus my eyes must have been better than the engineer`s,just dont take panic take and your time
    look at the abbrevations,cnr=corners, wid=width,trap=trapezoid
    h.pos ect there`s not many tv leave the factory`s set up right
    and that`s any make,after you are happy turn tv off then on then
    your back to watching a better aligned tv but BEWARE

21. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have Vertical Line problem also, engineer told me this was normal on all widescreen tv`s hmm :confused:

However he cured the brightness fluctuation for me, it now seems fine. :) I have listed the parameters that he changed & new value inputs in a previous post, for anyone who is having difficulty.

My serial no: 18171119

22. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    AHH.......... it gets better. Just got a call from the shop where I got my Tosh set ....mmm sorry Mr C but we can't get a delivery date from Toshiba, but I think it will be mid January......:mad:

23. smwood71

smwood71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record (and for your list to Toshiba), here are the problems that I am currently experiencing with my 36" set.

1) Darker in the centre fading to grey on the left and right which is very noticeable on dark screens such as the end credits of a film.

2) Slight geometry problem with text appearing near the top of screen dipping down towards the right hand side of the screen.

3) Occasionally notice vertical bars on the left and right side, mainly when the screen is displaying light colours.

I hope that Toshiba will offer is a solution to these problems since we have all paid a lot of money for what we feel is cutting edge technology. Fault (1) is really starting to anoy me as I am constaly looking out for it. :-(

On a further note, the set I currently have is my 4th. The previous 3 delivered all had a scratch on the screen in exactly the same spot!!!

Regards,
    Steve.

24. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Steve,

Where is the scratch on the screen...?

25. smwood71

smwood71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scratch was roughly in the middle of the bottom left quater of the screen. It was only about 1/2 cm in size and it made the pixels underneath a different colour when certain light was shown. The second set had the exact same scratch size in the exact position. Our third set had an even bigger scratch!

The delivery guys said that Toshiba use suckers to lift the TV's off the assembly line and said some dirt must have got under in order to cause these scratches.

I think it is pretty shoddy that it could get through quality control. But I guess with all the problems us Tosh owners have been having, quality is one things that is not on Toshibas mind.

I look forward to your response from them.

Regards,
    Steve.

26. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thats funny steve the scratch on my screen is in the same place !!

Also both the sets were very dusty around the screen !!

I would really like to know where all our faulty sets go ?

HEY whats the phone number for WATCH DOG ????????

Thanks Keep " EM " COMING................

Keith...............;)

27. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Could use some input from those who have not posted

28. Jonathan W

Jonathan W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm onto my 2nd set from QED. No complaints about them. They've been fine (unless it turns out these set's are rejects;) .

The first set had a prominent colour patch in the top left of the screen. I left it for four day's to see if it would deguass. I then got the engineer in. He couldn't get rid of it so the set was replaced. With this one, the colour patch is still there but very faint. However, now I've got the wonky geometry! Admittedly, this is only really noticable when the screen is in 4:3. I then see a slope on the vertical borders from top left to bottom right.

I also experience:

The light/dark/light effect on a black screen
    A 'dirty grain' effect floating over the picture

A previous post mentioned a set-up menu for correcting geometry (naim). I followed the instructions for getting into it but nothing happened. If there is any way I can adjust the geometry myself, I'd be very keen to know.

After all that, I still think this is a good set. However, after paying so much I think I deserve to be a little neurotic:)

29. smwood71

smwood71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something I forgot to mention in my previous post on problems about my 36" TV, was that it makes a hell of a sound when it is turned on. It's like a PC monitor being degaussed. only a lot louder. Its quite scary and unerving. I don't remember my 1st TV (which I subsequently had sent back) sounding as loud as my current one. Does anyone elses sound loud when first turned on or do I have something more to complain to the Tosh engineer about?

:confused:

Regards,
    Steve.

30. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They are meant to make this noise, my old 25" Sony did the same