ALL TOSHIBA 36 & 32 ZP18 OWNERS PART 2 ( 2002 Remix )

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dts borg, Feb 16, 2002.

1. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My Old Toshiba Thread is Maxed out, no more room for post's.
    ( Bet this is a first on the AV Forums )

Found another Problem with this model, not sure if it happens on the 32" .

36ZP18 (B)

Total sound loss when I switch over after watching any AV channel..............:eek:
    Only way for the sound to come back is switch Off & On or go into the sound modes and make a change....:(
    I know someone else who is having problems with his sound modes. His keeps switching into HALL no matter what he selects.

I called chris at Toshiba last week with this problem. He e mailed me back a few days later with this reply.

There is no need for you to call out an engineer at the moment as our factory belive new microcomputer firmware will resolve the problem, They will be releasing a service replacement I.C (micro) in the near future.

10/10 here for Toshiba Customer Care.

So how did you all get on with your sets?
    I will live with the brighter sides, as I belive this is by far the best 36" set on the market, and the best looking:cool:

Keith

2. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I will be interested in what this new firmware fixes.

I haven't seen (or heard) the sound problem you refer to although I don't use the internal tuner so maybe thats why.

What I am curious to find is if the new firmware will sort out the ITV1 jerky screen problem (I think you mentioned you have seen this as well).

Please keep us all posted as to what the new firmware will fix and also if it will be something that can be applied without the TV being taken off site.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The adjustments will no doubt form another service pack (which many televisions get).

I can't help on the audio front as i haven't used the TV for audio.

I am now able to see the ITV1 "dropped frame" effect now on the 32ZP18P.

4. tosh

tosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if covered before…

Will using the component inputs improve the ‘pale bands at the edges’ syndrome?
    ‘The Unforgiven’ DVD is practically unwatchable via S Video / SCART?

Cheers

5. Steveb

Steveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I too have the problem on ITV1 with what looks like dropped frames. I am on my second set so I guess all are equal with this feature.

Has anyone spoken to someone at Toshiba who has heard of this? Everyone I have spoken to there has not heard of this.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks
    Steve

6. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I suspect that the reason it has not been widely spoken about is:

a: ITV has only been on Sky for a short time
    b: Not many people watch ITV
    c: Not many people watch ITV via Sky

7. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh
    re your question:

>Will using the component inputs improve the ‘pale bands at the edges’ syndrome?
    ‘The Unforgiven’ DVD is practically unwatchable via S Video / SCART?

Unfortunately the answer is no. I had mine connected via component to get the best picture quality but the problem is the same, no worse no better.

good luck

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I cant say I have noticed a problem with ITV, will watch heartbeat a bit more closely tomorrow, as I think that is about all we ever watch on that channel.

I am generally happy with my 36zp set and ignore the lighter sides issue. However am I the only one with a problem on analogue? My first set was replaced as whites were too bright, and sunlit areas went white, such as white grass throught the tuner! Current replacement set is much better in this regard but still effectively unwatcheable for the same reason, but to a lesser extent. I haven't had the set changed again as geometry is near perfect and this fault is not evident on any external input. Indeed as a work around I get a good picture from the video tuner.

9. ssharkey63

ssharkey63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't get a response last time ... so ....

Anyone out there suffering from green "trails" or "smearing" on fast moving objects. I only see it when viewing dark scenes (with a bright object moving) in subdued lighting.

I don't know if it's a new "feature" or if I've just noticed it - but it's a pain in neck now I can see it.

:mad:

10. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It doesn't seem to be common but it has been noted by some owners although I understand this to be a fault and not a feature.

11. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got my 32 Tosh delivered on Wed. afternoon set it up and within the hour was watching magnificent picture and sound quality, there is a bit of a noise from the set when I switch on but it is really great:).Sorry for all you guys out there with problem sets but this is a great piece of home cinema kit.

12. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Currently waiting on an official Toshiba Engineer coming out. Spoke to Chris Harding (technical manager) a few times and he is actually going to the bother of sending out one of his engineers from England to see the flickering problem first hand. Great customer service indeed but as soon as I get confirmation of the problems, whether they be faults or features, I'll be one step closer to my refund. There is no way on earth I will be accepting a replacement of the same model.

13. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris Harding - what a top top guy. It would appear most people have telephoned him.
    I have to say he was superb, and provided a lot of detailed information. I was on the phone with him for just under and hour he had plenty of time to provide all the answers, excellent service.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should be getting a 36ZP18Q from JL next week... its been brought round by their TV expert... which will be nice :)

I've only just started noticing the frame loss problems, and I've noted it only seems to happen with Natural Scan on... seems to be OK if you switch to 100hz... and infact if you flick to 100hx, then back to natural, it seems OK... powering off and on again makes it go away too...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

15. Steveb

Steveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you get this problem just with ITV1?
    I don't use Natural scan, only 100hz but I do get your point. Normally when watching in 100hz mode if you go to the menu you see slight shimerring of the text, wheras with natural scan the menu is always stable. When the problem happens the menu says the tv is in 100hz mode but the shimmering is gone and it looks like natural scan. It looks to me as though the tv flips out of 100hz to natural when the problem happens. Sometimes rather than a power cycle I can choose natural scan and then go back to 100 and the picture is fixed. Other times the menu refuses to shimmer on 100hz until I power off / on the set. Then the shimmering is back and so is the good picture.

So in summary I think the problem only happens on natural scan as even though the set says 100hz all menus are stable when the fault happens. When the fault is not there the menus are shimmering. Can anyone else see this? ie. set your tv to ITV1 and 100hz, when the problem starts, bring up the menu and see if the shimmering is gone, thus natural scan even though it says 100.

Cheers,
    Steve

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Official Toshiba Engineer arriving tomorrow.

I know all the faults and "features" that have been posted inside out as I seem to be unlucky in having them all.

I will be demonstrating them at great length and discussing the limits of what can and can't be remedied.

Is there anything specific people would like me to ask the engineer? Do you have particular scenes in certain DVD's that highlight the issues you want answered? If so email or PM me instead of posting here.

Thanks.

17. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you find out from the engineer what differences there are regarding the new model 36zp18.
    I think it has a new Teletext Chip, what extra features does this give? More memory for storage of pages?
    New remoat ?
    New firmware?
    Does this new model solve any of the known problems?
    Paul

18. Steveb

Steveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

A bit of further info on the ZP18 ITV issue.
    It is definately caused by the adverts. If you switch over the set to a different channel before the adverts start and then back to sky itv after they have finished you will never see the nasty judder/frame loss again....

(Sad I know but I watched a lot of programs yesterday and spent ages watching whaty happened during ad breaks). I'm going to try an Svideo lead as a test as this should not send any WSS from my SKY+ box.

It must be something to do with WSS or the like during ad breaks. I am a little worried we will see this problem on other channels soon. I don't think any other channels show as much ws content as ITV and have adverts.

Does anyone know who I can contact at Toshiba to explain this issue as the guys on the helpdesk seem to not be very technical.

DTS Borg can you help?

Thanks
    Steve

19. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why not just turn off widescreen switching in the tv menus, and select the mode you want for the program manually. Saves the cost of a new lead and allows the best quality connection. I think it can also be turned off in the skybox menu.

I still can't see the "fault" myself on my set, could it also depend on the digibox used?

20. Steveb

Steveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Even if I turn off WSS on the set it still does! The SKY box seems to force it even if WSS is off.
    I have tried turning it off on the digibox also but still I get the strange effect. So all though I think WSS is somehow involved I can't seem to get rid of the effect.

Like I say, it only starts to happen during adverts on ITV1. I've tried two sky boxes. One normal and one +.

Still the same. Are you using a 32 or 36, what make is the digibox?

Cheers,
    Steve

21. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about the adverts Steve. I turned on ITV1 the other day during the Premiership and it was immediatly showing the "dropped frames" effect. I had moved over from BBC1 which was in anamorphic widescreen at the time so no widescreen switching was involved. I turned the sky off and back on again, and the dropped frames effect had gone.

22. Steveb

Steveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I give up :-(((

Damn telly. I just hope that someone at Toshiba answers my mails. Big shame otherwise the tv is great.

Steve

23. Richard Boyce

Richard Boyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a 32ZP18P from Value Direct on 7th November and it arrived on the 11th February.

After waiting 3 months, I now have a telly which has the digital audio input connectors missing; just two holes in the case. :(

I've finally managed to get Value Direct (aka Home Electrical Direct) to talk to me on the phone. They're sending a Toshiba engineer round to examine the telly. Perhaps the connectors are floating around inside the case, which I imagine could've resulted in a fire.

P.S. Thanks to groundy for redirecting me to this overflow thread.

24. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is it only effects ITV1 so how can it be the telly?
    I have Sky Digital and NTL Digital so I can do comparisons and it only seems to effect ITV1 on Sky Digital, but not when using NTL Digital??
    Can anyone else with NTL digital confirm this?
    Could it be something Sky is doing to the transmissions?
    Paul

25. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I haven't got NTL digital but I do have NTL analogue and it certainly doesn't do it via that.

It also doesn't do it via the aerial.

If I feed the signal via the video, it doesn't do that either.

In fact the only way it does it is when I have ITV1 via Sky digital via a scart cable.

I am convinced it is something to do with the ITV signal but what?

26. hb100

hb100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32zd09b and just recently noticed the smaering you mentioned. Yes I find it annoying along with various other problems - blue patches, faint vertical lines.

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem with NTL Digital!

28. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, this is my final update on the ZP18 problems (Long Post Ahead).

Official Toshiba Engineer arrived last week to see the horizontal flicker problem first-hand. Sure enough, he picked up upon it straight away and tried to fix it as best he could. After trying various parameters in the Designer Menu, he called a few other engineer's at Toshiba who had apparently encountered the problem before in an RP set. The technical details of this particular problem are as follows:

The flickering is a constant variation between two colour levels due to the oversampling upconverter being used. The television's 8-bit processing can only reproduce colours or black levels down to a certain minimum/maximum, i.e., if a level is in between a certain higher or lower value, the processing does not know which value to reproduce and subsequently jumps between both. This problem cannot be remedied as the set's upconverter simply cannot reach the levels that present problems. All current Toshiba sets use the same phase 2 upconverter so this problem will present itself in all of them. This is obviously not an issue for most people and my advice is if you haven't already noticed it, don't look for it and you probably never will.

The other issues such as the lighter sides/darker centre have all been discussed in detail in previous threads. In fact Toshiba are so well aware of this forum and a few of us members (by name) that the engineer knew I already had explanations for them and so there was no purpose in discussing them further. Again, all Toshiba sets will exhibit these issues. There is no magic fix on the horizon and the much aticipated "Q" model will be no different in the above areas.

Toshiba like to refer to them as "features" or "design limitations" which is fair enough but think of them more as the hidden feature list that is not advertised along with the good points.

I guess it comes down to a question of personal thresholds and what you are prepared to accept. For me, I could not live with the flicker problem and the lighter sides became more annoying with every set I viewed from other manufacturers that seemed free from it. That is not to say other manufactures's sets were better, just different, with a different set of problems that may be either less or more annoying to each individual.

I cannot stress enough how professional Toshiba have been in discussing and addressing these issues. Their customer service is second to none and I doubt other manufacturer's could even come close. For many, this will outweigh the alternatives.

Recent posts have concentrated on a frame-drop problem on ITV1 digital broadcasts. I cannot comment on this but can only say it does not happen on analogue. This sounds more like a digital transmission side-effect on the part of ITV1 or a digibox issue.

Anyway, that's all from me on the ZP18 issue suffice to say I will still keep an eye on this thread and others.

ps. Thanks to Keith and Alex for your committment throughout.

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So groundy, what's the final diagnosis... are you going to keep the TV, or go for something else... ???

and on to my posting....

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

John Lewis came around with a "B" model tv yesterday, as I asked, because I had found "issues" with the european model... so I'm sat there hoping for the best... try Phantom Menace on DVD... aha... the "normal" flickering is still there... ah well... to be expected... but hmm... OK, I'll try sky... hmm, looking at the menus on my sky box.... there's a strange green convergence issue on the RGB scart... and green trails.... ARGH... another problem... OK, no worries, lets go back to the DVD... try planet of the apes... nice dark start... OH MY GOD... the grey edges are MUCH worse on this set.... and hang on, what's this, ***, now, when there's high contrast areas on screen, I'm now getting a purple banding across the rest of the screen!!!

On the upside, I've got a new digital camera, and I've found it shows some of the issues nicely, so its going on a web page that I'll post here soon... but I am VERY VERY close to just starting over with another manufacturer... they may have faults but will I come across another every couple of weeks... (including the ITV issue)... so, if anybody wants to tell me which TV will make me happy, and will look nice in my front room, please email me :) [email protected]

So, I'm back off to JL/toshiba with m new faults... better write it all down so I dont forget any!

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0