1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All those who have NTL broadband read this!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mandlebrot, Feb 8, 2003.

1. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First let me apologise for posting here but we don't have an internet section and I thought this section would reach more NTL customers.

NTL have just imposed a 1 Gig per day limit, so all you people who are on the 1Mbit or 600Kbit service and do a bit of downloading will be effected by this and could actually be disconnected. You better head over to the link below to find out more, I for one am very :mad: :mad: :mad:

Link to a thread discussing this issue at "www.nthellworld.com"

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,896
    I've never actually checked how much I download. Some days it's nothing though - so does that mean I can carry over the 1GB for that day to another ?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If the AUP is enforced then I might as well be on the 128k service so that means NTL get £240 a year less from me and while I am at it I would also ditch the digital TV as well and that's another £60 a year saving.
    What's next?
    Capping digital TV after all that runs at around 4meg/second 24 hours a day for £5 a month while my CM only manages 120k a second for £35 a month :)

4. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Read all about this as well

bloody fumming over this :mad: :mad:

I've been looking to justfiy swapping to SKY so I can get a Sky+ box but couldn't before now

Cable TV Family - £25
    600k broadband - £25
    Phone - free
    Total - £50

Sky Family £18
    BT Phone - £10
    ADSL - £27
    Total - £55
    + buying the sky+ box and £10 rental

BUT now - after this - may be just enough to tip me over

5. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the NTL 600K service.

Testing the speed using testmyspeed.com sites I've found the actual is usually low to mid 200K.

I know that internet conditions can slow up a theoretical speed so I never got round to looking any further into this.

So, am I getting the average speed for the real world or should NTL be installing some more switches in my area?

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been monitoring the discussions on this too. I think people are angry because of the way it's been handled by NTL. I don't think very many would actually use anything like that.

1GB on a 600kb line would take about 5 hours at full speed, but how often will most of us do that? I might want to download some Linux CDs or a game, but that's not often. NTL say they would only be interested in persistent offenders. There's something about exceeding the limit 3 times in a fortnight.

Obviously, if you are into downloading every new film and CD you can lay your hands on then this is a problem, but with the money you save from not buying them you can pay for a business broadband link which should not be capped.

I suppose that if you streamed radio at 128kb for 20 hours a day you would hit the limit, but there are other things to do with your time.

I live in a rural area which probably has a fairly low density of broadband users, but I can imagine it gets bad in towns with lots of students/teenagers.

I don't work for NTL and I don't have any of their shares.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Are you connecting via STB or standalone CM?
    Either way you are paying for a 600k connection and if that's not what you are getting then complain.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The people that download a lot (I am one of them) pay £35 a month for the privilage/abilty, that is £20 more a month than the basic 128k service which is great just for browsing and email.
    I object that my £35 does not buy me right to download 1kb of data more than a £15 a month subscriber, no matter how you spin it NTL want more the money and to reduce the service.

NTL have already shown their hand by mentioning an account for "Power Users" which will probably be 1mbit with no cap charged at a much higher rate and using exactly the same network as the existing services so any network issues will still be there but NTL will be getting more CASH to line their pockets.

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are spot on Starburst has usual its not about helping customers its about company greed.

10. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Starburst - about my speed.

Have got a Surfboard SB4100 if that means anything.

Just checked again this PM and its running low 200K.

I didn't think that anyone got the full quoted speed, although I was a bit cheesed that I'm buying a 600K. Wonder what the lower speed BB actually manages?

BTW, I checked using Numion.com

Have a go and let me know what you get.

11. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drew

You should be getting better than 200Kb. I'm sure I see 50KB/s or more on most downloads. I've checked it on some site before and was getting the right sort of numbers. Even before NTL renamed it from 512 to 600 I was getting nearer to 600. I didn't complain ;)

I'd be interested to know how many people could regularly exceed the NTL 1GB cap with legitimate downloads.

There's a story here

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030211/152/dsz8b.html

saying that other ISPs may do something similar.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Right, I wondered if you were accessing through the STB which would default to around the equivalent of a 256k connection but you are on a standalone CM so you should be downloading around 74k per second.
    This is a much better speed test for broadband....BB Speed Test

I have always got the full speed, when I was on the 512(600) connection I was getting 74k and now on the 1mbit I get around 121k per second.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's a bit bizarre, in most business an increased demand for a service results in more capacity and either a stable price point or a lowering of the price.
    The future is broadband (The networks will carry all TV, Radio, telecoms along with VOD and other services) alas due to the greed and short sighted decisions that future is even further away then it was a week ago.

14. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose the bottleneck must be in the networking equipment at NTL, which is probably relatively expensive. The connection to the house must be capable of gigabits as it's carrying a lot of video data.

Are NTL making any money yet? They spent a fortune buying up all the small companies who laid cable. I expect they are loath to invest in more hardware than they really have to.

Interesting times. The honeymoon may be over.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

From the bits I have read the cost of purchasing external capacity due to p2p and news access is probably at the bottom of the cash generating exercise NTL are hot for.
    If there was a fundemental problem with the network then they should not have offered the 1mbit in the first place or stopped taking on new CM users altogether. Unfortunatley for NTL the broadband side of the company is the only one that is showing rapid expansion and the last results showed a drop in TV subscribers.

Looks at this though...NTL Wireless , right after capping the CM connections they introduce a dedicated home networking system for multipule connection to a single CM. Do you think one part of NTL are unware of what the other parts are doing?
    :)

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,896
    I saw that also about the wireless multi computer connections - there were links to it a couple of weeks ago from the Linksys web site. I assumed that NTL were going to charge more for this service - maybe on the basis of having multiple IP addresses or something like that.

17. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    come on guys, ntl dont have network problems. there running on all-fibre optics. thoses fibre-optic cables dont just caryy gigabytes you know, were talking terabytes and more. theres no way on earth they've got bandwidth issues. as other people have said, they are only interested in lining their pockets.

well, i for one will no longer be paying £35/month to have my broadband capped

18. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James you are right in one sense about them not having probs because of the fibre optics etc, but they have got problems with amount of green cabs to people ratio (can't afford more because only just got out of chapter 11) and they also have bandwidth issues i.e. paying to access outside there own network. All ISP's have to pay for this bandwidth.

I am in no way trying to defend ntl on this, after all I was the original poster of this thread. My point is that yes they have got bandwidth problems but that's not our fault its there's and we signed up to an "unlimited" 24/7 always-on service at a certain bandwidth level (600 Kbit in my case) and we dam well should be able to use it and not have to monitor or worry about our net usage. I for instance could if I pushed it 24/7 and got perfect speed etc could use about 6 GB of bandwidth in any 24hr period, now I don't or very rarely do this (I did for the first month of my contract) because after 18 months of usage I can't be bothered most of the time. The point is I should if I so wish be able to do it or at least something in that region and should not be capped to 1 GB per day which is about an 80% reduction in the service I agreed/signed to.

Here's just a little thought for people, what would your response be if you bought say a jar of coffee at your local supermarket but then they told you that you can only use 20% of the jar or instead of the jar saying something like 10% extra for free, what if it said 80% less coffee but same price. I think your reply might be something like **** ***. I don't really like using analogies, sometimes they only confuse the situation but couldn't resist that one:)

19. Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Far from it. NTL are one of the most insolvent companies in the world