1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All those Formats.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by muzza1uk, Nov 15, 2004.

1. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm trying to hold off buying a DVD/HDD recorder until the Tosh X34 comes out next year but until then and basis a posting in another thread by our friendly Rasczak I want to know whether my old Sony DVD 7700 should play DVD-+RW's. It seems to play -R with no problems, I've not tried +R's, but it refuses to play -RW's which is a pain. I wondered whether +RW's may have better chance of success due to Rasczak statement that these enjoy more marketshare. When I last posted a similar question someone kindly posted a link to a compatability site which I tried with little success. Can anyone help ?

Muzza1 :thumbsup:

2. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 7700 is fine with -R but won't play +RWs or -RWs. Rewriteable discs use phase change materials which tend to have a lower reflectivity than the organic dye used in write-once discs. Many older machines won't recognise them. Still love my 'old' machine by the way :smashin:

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Marketshare has nothing to do with compatibility - the only thing it affects is who gets the royalty payments.

Compatibility wise re-writeable media is significantly less compatible than write-once disks - the compatibility difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW is generally accepted to be negligable although some machines may favour one over another. Generally though if it rejects one it will reject all (with some noteable exceptions). Have a look at www.dvdrhelp.com (now www.videohelp.com ) to conduct a compatibility search on your specific machine.

For compatibility the only real choice is DVD-R. This is almost universally compatible, very cheap and is the best selling DVDR format (not that it really matters).

4. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks to the pair of you don't think I'll bother trying +RW in this case and in the meantime will try to use my PS2 which may play -RW. OARDVD do you still use you 7700 for playback, I want a new machine as I've mentioned before but it's heart wrenching to ditch a machine that cost £800 when new !

Muzza1 :thumbsup:

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO it still outperforms many modern players and ALL recorders in terms of picture quality. The amazing build construction and the slide-down front is too cool to replace with a modern plastic job. If I were you I would use it until it spins its last disc.