• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

All this technology is ganging up on me

matabhaine

Novice Member
I have a Yamaha RX-V765 AMP seperate and a Sony Minidisc Recorder separate, both connected via high quality RCA cables. I also have a Yamaha CD Player connected via RCA.
Minidisc connected via AV port 5:
CD Player connected via AV-Port 3:
The CD player volume is set at -32db and the MiniDisc player is at +3db:
This seems strange to me to start with and I don't think I fully understand what it is I am doing.
My problem is this.
The minidisc is really quiet, turning up the volume, you can hear the music, but there is a lot of hiss, it also sounds like it is louder in the left ear than in the right.
I have tried other headphones with the same problem. I have also looked through the manual and searched the net all morning. The AMP is nearly new and hardly used. Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the site. I have been reading AVForums most of the morning.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Do you have a model number for the minidisc recorder. Is there an output or recording level knob (and maybe a balance knob as well) on the minidisc recorder it maybe that this need to be increased if it has one. Also worth looking in the setup menus of the Yamaha as you will probably be able to set these levels separately for each input port. Just a couple of things to look out for.

matabhaine

Novice Member
MiniDisc Player model number is MDS JE-480. I have been reading through the Manual for the amp all the morning, playing with all the settings, nothing has helped. The MiniDisc player/recorder doesn't have many functions, has a level button for recording. You can set levels for each item on the Yamaha AMP but I cannot get the volume to play properly on the MiniDisc to utilise this option.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Looking at the manuals have you tried to connect the "Analogue Out" rca plugs on the minidisc to the "Audio 1 (or 2)" input on the Yamaha. This would be more logical than using the AV inputs.

Also does the volume change at all if you change the record level on the minidisc player (pg 12 of the manual).

Last edited:

dannnielll

Ok . You must be doing something wrong. The MD max output is 2 volts into 10 kohm load and any input into a Yamaha is 200 mV into 47k . So there is no problem there. The CD player is typically 2 volts also.
I have an older model of the Yamaha series. My first suggestion is set the CD playing and set the MD playing,then while the amplifier is producing sounds from the CD, simply swop the rca leads. ..change nothing on the front panel or the remote, just swop cables. If the sound disappears then the fault is with the output of the MD. At that stage try different recordings on the MD ,just in case the first was defective.
Is there any possibility that instead of using the output terminals on the MD you are using the input terminals instead?.

matabhaine

Novice Member
Give that man a Cigar! Works like a dream now, many many thanks. Ran the Minidisc through the Audio 2 instead of the AV.
Just one last thing, if I may.
When I ran my Minidisc originally through a Sony Graphic Equaliser SEQ-310 into the AMP, via the same AV channel, it was making a popping sound. Could this have been caused by running the EQ through the AV instead of the Audio 2 or maybe somthing more sinister? I'd really like to keep using my EQ, I'm rather attached to it. :)
Thanx once again Ugg10.

Last edited:

matabhaine

Novice Member
Sorry Dannnielll, never got your reply till my last post, thank goodness I was doing something wrong as the AMP cost quite a bit and I have had hardly any use out of it thus far. Thanx for taking the time to reply.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Glad you are all sorted. As for the Graphic Equiliser, only way to find out is to use it on the Audio input and see if it is OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom