All this talk of expensive cables.

bigmondy

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent the best part of £200 on all my THOR scarts for my old set up. I think it was worth it.

With a TOSH 42"LCD - will it really improve the PQ by spending extra sheckles on the interconnects?

Do you experts agree that I wont notice a difference between:

THIS

and

THIS

:eek:

OK -I'll get my jacket!:rolleyes:

Dont go mad there is a point were u wont get anymore noticable improvment. The best thing to spend money on is the source.

bigmondy said:
I spent the best part of £200 on all my THOR scarts for my old set up. I think it was worth it.

With a TOSH 42"LCD - will it really improve the PQ by spending extra sheckles on the interconnects?

Do you experts agree that I wont notice a difference between:

THIS

and

THIS

:eek:

OK -I'll get my jacket!:rolleyes:

Given that you're pointing at HDMI cables then probably not, but I'd just go for the molex as they're a) reasonably cheap and b) pretty much proven by other people around here.

John.

Thanks guys.

So it is worth pushing the boat out for:

THESE then.

PS - does anyone know what the RS 232 outlet at the rear of SKY+ is for?

Cheers!

I'd like to know this too. have been reading the magazines and was about to go and spend 2 x £55 on 3m QED HDMI-P cables - am i crazy?:rolleyes:

Me...bit out of date I think.. HDMI:confused: Hi Density something I guess..

But still, I ended up with a Chord Signature Coax for my sound, the others just pailed into insignificance, so just thought I'd confuse things more and chuck in another cable for yous to check out:

http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/index2.htm
Go to 'Home Cinema Cables' and then 'HDMI'

Hello both

As others will point out HDMI cables are a tricky subject to get your head around once you start to read the marketing hype.

On short runs (under 5m) many folk find they get perfectly good results with any HDMI cable that's 'on spec' - no matter if you spend £10.00 or £100.00.

At the lower end of the cable market you can and do find variances between one example of a cable and another - so best to go with a low cost cable that adheres to the HDMI standards; Molex are ideal and a 3m cable can be had for approx 20.00 GBP.

The Molex cables are rated to 720p and 1080i and whilst they may do 1080p without a problem you may want to consider a cable that is rated for 1080p if that's part of your longer term plans - see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351641

Best regards

Joe

BigJJ said:
I'd like to know this too. have been reading the magazines and was about to go and spend 2 x £55 on 3m QED HDMI-P cables - am i crazy?:rolleyes:

In a word, yes. ;)

why don't you try russ andrews HDMI lead, you can always send it back if it is no better than a cheap one, that should prove something

How about over a 30' (9 meters for you youngsters) run to a projector though. Is it essential that you go for top-dollar spec? :lease:

forrestgump said:
why don't you try russ andrews HDMI lead, you can always send it back if it is no better than a cheap one, that should prove something
gump do you have a link?

I read somewhere that you should spend around 10% of your outlay on AV on cables. I spent £2000 on my set up and just over £200 on the various cables.

I did have some plank in Comet trying to get me to spen £100 on a Monster HDMI cable when my Tosh 360E upscaler only cost £75. You do the math.....

bigmondy said:
How about over a 30' (9 meters for you youngsters) run to a projector though. Is it essential that you go for top-dollar spec? :lease:

For longer distance you typically want heavier gage wire to reduce loss. You could try a cheaper cable particularily if you're not feeding 1080p, but if you want a future proof solution maybe go for one of the BetterCables HDMI leads through JoeF.

John.

bigmondy said:
Well I tested a £50 15m Molex HDMI-HDMI from a pioneer 868 DVD to an SP7210 last night (720p).
I contacted the retailer this morning asking for a refund - the picture was awful.

Not sure how much better the same cable would be at 10m length but at 15m it's not up to the job.

Its quite possible that the cable would be fine at 9m, due to the 'cliff edge' effect you have with this type of signal, probably depends if you can be bothered with messing around a bit as well if it doesn't work...

John.

Thanks for the advice guys - appreciate it!

It either works or it doesnt! - Love it!

Why cant all A/V products be the same?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom