1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All things related to AV-Inputs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ben.leil, Feb 21, 2003.

1. ben.leil

ben.leil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to use a bullet camera and apparantly I need a camcorder with av-in to record with one. What is the cheapest camcorder I can buy in the UK with av-in? Is there a definitive list of which camcorders have this feature?

Thanks,

Ben.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the cheapest way to record AV is on a VCR, you can get these for less than £100, if you have a camera why do you need to record on a camcorder ?

3. skimbo

skimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all hope you can help!

I have sourced somewhere where I can get a decent bullet helmet cam (for those of you hunting it is www.rfconcepts.co.uk) however it says you need a camera with AV in.

I would be grateful if somone could recommend a DV camera that supports AV in, the reason being I need to record sports footage on the fly (literally!!) from a motorcross bike.

Also will recording through AV in via the bullet cam degrade the quality of reproduction compared to what you would normally get recording through the DV lens?

I'm looking to spend about £450-500 on the camera and I need to be able to edit the footage through a PC. I am a Complete newbie git as you've proabably guessed.

Thanking you in advance for any help!!

P.S. If it's of any incentive to reply you'll get to see me fall off the bike and injure myself. Surely thats worth the info alone ;)

4. ben.leil

ben.leil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bullet camera is effectively a remote lens for the camcorder - I do a lot of mountain biking and want to record what I am seeing. You can buy the bullet camera (which can be attached to a helmet) for about £80 but need a camcorder with av-in to record the pictures.

Any ideas?

5. Antwerpman

Antwerpman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a sony DCRPC101 camcorder (or alternatively the DCR-IP5) and I have a question regarding existing video footage.

Will I be able to play a VCR tape in to the Sony camcorder (via the S-video link or alternative setup) and either record it on to the digital tapes for download on to the PC later, or run it straight through the camcorder and on to the PC via the firewire connection?

I read that the 101 has a 'signal convert' function which I am assuming is what I am looking for but I have not seen the same on the IP5.

Comments on the relative merits/downfalls of each camcorder or any better and cheaper alternatives to consider would also be welcome.

Cheers

Antwerpman

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've merged all 3 threads which cover basically the same topic together into this one.

In answer to the question of a camcorder with AV in - I use a Panasonic GS-5 for this, but it's not the cheapest cam around (£500 being the best price I've seen it for.) Anyone else got any suggestions?

7. skimbo

skimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help evil mudge. It seems that not many people want to help out a newbie loser like myself.

By default do all DV cameras come with AV IN or is it a specific feature on a select few camcorders?

Thanks again

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Select few I'm afraid :mad:
    Due to EU rules on a camcorder with AV inputs being classed as a VCR and therefore more tax is payable :rolleyes: :mad: and are therefore often the more expensive units.

:lesson: If looking for a DV camcorder with DV in enabled then a cheaper way might be to get one that is DV out only, but can be mod'ed via a software patch (some Panasonics, but NOT all, and others probably!). Check carefully before purchase.

Mark.

9. ben.leil

ben.leil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skimbo,

There used to be a list of av-in camcorders at www.revlimiterracing.com/helmetcamera/ helmetcamera.html,

but it seems to have been removed - maybe they could help. I managed to print off a list but it's not emailable. I could fax it to you next week if required - it might be a case of trawling through the list and seeing if you can find a deal.

Cheers,

Ben.

10. skimbo

skimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply mate.

Would be great if you could fax me the list of camcorders.

My work fax number is 01202 471847. If you mark it for the attention of Ian Simmonds I would very much appreciate it! :D

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. Just before I go have you decided on a camera Ben? If so which one? And if you've already bought one whats it like?

All the best

Ian

11. DVDTAN

DVDTAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The following are AV in enabled Camcorders
    Canon mv 500
    Canon mv 630
    Panasonic G S 5