1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All speakers hissing

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IanB, Jan 7, 2002.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the normal cause of 'hiss' in a speaker?

I have recently bought Eltax fronts, rears and centre speakers and connected them to my SA-AX730 Technics Amp and now I'm getting quite bad hiss from all speakers.

My fronts are connected to the same terminals as my previous speakers and I never had hiss from them.

I'm using the screw down method of connecting the speaker to the cable - (though the speaker will allow me to use banana's) and the spring clip method at the back of the amp for the rear and centre, the fronts are using banana's.

My cable and interconnectors aren't great - just the usual that come with the kit - but I've not had the problem before.

Any ideas?

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have acoustic solutions speakers . they are suposed to be much alike in design ( when i wanted a center i was told to get an eltax by the company as they do not make one)

when i first set up my new speakers i noticed a rather distracting hiss in all the speakers .i thought at first it was my amp as i had got it at the same time and it was rather cheep . anyway after a few weeks of normal use the hiss just whent away . my conclusion was that they just needed to be run in

i'm not saying your situation is the same but it may be they use the same drive units and just need to be left on for a bit to run em in

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My recollections of electronic engineering are very faded but from what I recall, hiss is "white noise" - random noise generated by electronic components (and the universe in general). Sounds like perhaps your new spkrs are more sensitive and pick up noise in the amp.
    Ah it's faintly coming back...power spectral density, Fourier analysis - cant remember it all means but I'm sure there are people out there who do...
    Anyway, my suggestions is that it's either an itinerant snake or amplifier noise...

Cheers
    Dave

4. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *grin*

I've been trying to think of something smart to say about having a copy of a Monty Python film to close to the amp... but couldn't.

I need to do a load of tidying up in my cabinet and to get some better cables, I think I might do a test and plug my old speakers back in - stuff like that.

Thanks for all the help, but I hope squid is right.

I'll update the thread when I have done.