1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Sony DVP-NS955v owners please read

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Dolbyz, May 20, 2005.

1. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Sony DVP-NS955v and noticed you had the same error. I've posted this on a forum for other owners, but am curious as to whether you've come across the same error as me.

To make a long story short, I ordered a Celine Dion - A Decade Of Song SACD brand new from Amazon. The disc stops playing dead on multichannel at Track 6 01:06 minutes. I assumed the disc was defective, and ordered a SECOND Celine Dion SACD. This stops in the EXACT same place as well.

I then assumed it was my player, and went to various shops to test their demo Sony DVP-NS955v. I tested three different units in total, and all three stopped in the EXACT same place! Obviously something wrong with these players, considering that I then tested my SACD on a Yamaha, Marantz, and other model Sonys - and they all worked!

I've approached Sony SA, but they do not not know of a problem with that model, nor do they have a firmware upgrade or a fix for the problem. I therefore can not exchange the unit (the new will exhibit the same problem) and I cannot afford the more expensive Sony machines. This means I have to downgrade to a LS785v player - which doesn't seem to be at all in the same league as the 955v!

With other models, I'm worried about the converting of DSD to PCM which degrades the signal (ala most budget players). I don't SACD is for me anymore ;)

Has anyone ever used this SACD, or had a similar problem with others?

Thanks

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If the deck does not play your CD and it plays on other models, then it is clearly not fit for its purpose and therefore you are entitled to an exchange or a refund. Never mind dealing with Sony, they'll do nothing - see your dealer.

You'll find that most hybrid players -budget or not- will convert DSD to PCM or vice-versa. However you'll find that the SACD sound quality on your deck is already compromised by it being primarily a DVD player and not a dedicated SACD deck, so the difference between that and buying another hybrid that converts DSD to PCM will be minimal. Any such differences would be also be negligible through most "real world" equipment.

But if you are worried about this, do some homework and find which hybrids don't do a DSD to PCM conversion and go for one of those. However, bear in mind, almost any universal / hybrid player in -and indeed above- the price range of your present deck will be a marked sonic compromise on SACD compared to a dedicated deck. There are very few that cut the mustard equally well with video and audio replay. Those that do tend to be in the four-figure price bracket.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    PS - You'd be better posting this in the hardware forums where you'll get a greater response.