ALL SJ 2017 MODELS OWNERS CHAT, REVIEWS AND BEST PICTURE SETTINGS ECT ....

marcd5123

I bought the tv purely on the reviews here and the first thing I did was buy the bias lighting.
Didn’t think it would make any difference but it really did.

I know the dimming is a personal taste but for me I have to have it off. My eyes cannot stand it, and it seems to be worse when I’m playing direct 4K material off of my panny player.

I have just been offered a good deal on an OLED though and I’m seriously tempted to sell the set. Tough decision to be made...

@Nessie1812 Well I can only wish you good luck if you do decide to opt and jump on the LG OLED wagon it's a whole new ball game!

Is this going to be a new OLED or second hand all I say is make sure you do your home work.

AVForums is absolutely littered with the amount of issues folks are suffering with OLEDs still in 2019.

It seems to me that if you get a "good OLED Pannal" it's absolutely perfect but otherwise you may be lumbered with problem after problems burn in seems to be the biggest issues. Their seems to be folks stating that they have had their new OLEDs for 6 months and suddenly they suffer burn in or banding issues.

In some respects having a LG Nano IPS panal have far less issues than OLEDs still in 2019.

Okay they are not perfect IPS Panals have their own fair share of issues but generally you know where you are with Nano Panals apart from my slight banding issues at the far right hand side of the TV its coming up to 2 years old soon September and nothing else has gone wrong in fact I would say with the last 3 firmware updates from LG HDR10 and DV preformance has improved quite considerably so the TV is actually preforming better now than it did when I brought it. So for me to claim on John Lewis warranty it could be so called "panal lottery" I could get the very slight banding issue fixed to find out I'm getting worse clouding or DSE effects so I'm not going to take that chance as the pretty much the TV is working flawlessly. I only notice like most folks the banding on the far right hand side with certain colours or pictures and unless you actually point it out most folks won't even know its tbeir.

So yes if you get a good deal just make sure warranty covers the issues you are most definitely likely to get on an OLED.

Otherwise all the best if you do it. I'm holding out for another year or so with the arraval if eARC now and OLED Panals coming down in price I may opt my self for a LG 49' OLED and prices will start to come Down a bit more possibly around sub-£1K maybe. :thumbsup::clap:

Nessie1812

Standard Member
@Nessie1812 Well I can only wish you good luck if you do decide to opt and jump on the LG OLED wagon it's a whole new ball game!

Is this going to be a new OLED or second hand all I say is make sure you do your home work.

AVForums is absolutely littered with the amount of issues folks are suffering with OLEDs still in 2019.

It seems to me that if you get a "good OLED Pannal" it's absolutely perfect but otherwise you may be lumbered with problem after problems burn in seems to be the biggest issues. Their seems to be folks stating that they have had their new OLEDs for 6 months and suddenly they suffer burn in or banding issues.

In some respects having a LG Nano IPS panal have far less issues than OLEDs still in 2019.

Okay they are not perfect IPS Panals have their own fair share of issues but generally you know where you are with Nano Panals apart from my slight banding issues at the far right hand side of the TV its coming up to 2 years old soon September and nothing else has gone wrong in fact I would say with the last 3 firmware updates from LG HDR10 and DV preformance has improved quite considerably so the TV is actually preforming better now than it did when I brought it. So for me to claim on John Lewis warranty it could be so called "panal lottery" I could get the very slight banding issue fixed to find out I'm getting worse clouding or DSE effects so I'm not going to take that chance as the pretty much the TV is working flawlessly. I only notice like most folks the banding on the far right hand side with certain colours or pictures and unless you actually point it out most folks won't even know its tbeir.

So yes if you get a good deal just make sure warranty covers the issues you are most definitely likely to get on an OLED.

Otherwise all the best if you do it. I'm holding out for another year or so with the arraval if eARC now and OLED Panals coming down in price I may opt my self for a LG 49' OLED and prices will start to come Down a bit more possibly around sub-£1K maybe. :thumbsup::clap:

Thank Marc.

I am concerned and would certainly test for any marks and burn in on the screen. It’s used but still in curry’s warranty which I know can be transferred.

May not happen as I need to see it tonight by the looks of things and I may not be able to sneak out the house to do that. Also tempted to keep mine a bit longer as it’s only a year old.

If I can get time to see it then I will but if i don’t and it sells to someone else I am more than happy to keep the cash and hold on for a while longer as this tv really is a cracker.

marcd5123

@Nessie1812 If its a used panal I would definitely make sure you see it working and check out all the issues.

Now Im not a fan of Currys my self at all and personally I would never by from them. Including my self they have a very bad reputation for after sales service so be careful.

For me it's always been John Lewis for their impeccable service Iv had with them over the years my current LG is from JL. Also I rate Richer Sounds very highly as well!.

Also make sure that Currys warranty is transferable to you in your name do not just rely on the seller you could be caught out and that's going to hurt like hell if you buy the OLED then 6 months later it suffers burn in or banding and currys turn around and say nope your not Mr. Blogs.

Some companies are quite happy with transferable warrantys and some are not so be very mindfull.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you know all this. It's just reading so many of the posts on AVForums in the E7, E8, E6 threads and some of the horror stories you read that folks have had with their OLEDs and thats from just 6 months old.

Anyway if you do see it all the very best of luck and I hope you get a decent price for it of you do decide to grab it. :thumbsup:

Nessie1812

Standard Member
@Nessie1812 If its a used panal I would definitely make sure you see it working and check out all the issues.

Now Im not a fan of Currys my self at all and personally I would never by from them. Including my self they have a very bad reputation for after sales service so be careful.

For me it's always been John Lewis for their impeccable service Iv had with them over the years my current LG is from JL. Also I rate Richer Sounds very highly as well!.

Also make sure that Currys warranty is transferable to you in your name do not just rely on the seller you could be caught out and that's going to hurt like hell if you buy the OLED then 6 months later it suffers burn in or banding and currys turn around and say nope your not Mr. Blogs.

Some companies are quite happy with transferable warrantys and some are not so be very mindfull.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you know all this. It's just reading so many of the posts on AVForums in the E7, E8, E6 threads and some of the horror stories you read that folks have had with their OLEDs and thats from just 6 months old.

Anyway if you do see it all the very best of luck and I hope you get a decent price for it of you do decide to grab it. :thumbsup:

Well I tested it out this morning, Panasonic tx55fz802, and it looked good to my. Picture from sky q looked crisp and colourful. Viewed some solid colour screens in a variety of colour ranges, red, white, blue, purple, etc. And could detect zero screen burn.

There was no warranty as it’s just expired but the screen and coverings were without a so gel blemish.

I offered £550, which could turn out to be a mistake in a few months like you say Marc but it was accepted and I’ve unpacked it.

I’ll test her out tonight properly with some 4K discs but I was quite impressed. Need to order some bias lighting tonight too. I have detected some image blur since getting home but I’m hoping that’s a reflection of the poor tv recording on sky as opposed to the tv itself.

marcd5123

Well @Nessie1812 it could either go 2 ways.. Your either made a very bad and slight costly mistake and you will only know in the next 3-6 months or you could have possibly brought your self a absolute bargain Panny OLED for £550!!! Well you seem to know what to look for regarding the ussal issues. Well no warranty.. Hopefully you have made a fantastic purchase and Pannys are a fantastic make. Vincent Teo is always making fantastic reviews of either LG or Panasonic. :smashin::thumbsup:

Nessie1812

Standard Member
Well @Nessie1812 it could either go 2 ways.. Your either made a very bad and slight costly mistake and you will only know in the next 3-6 months or you could have possibly brought your self a absolute bargain Panny OLED for £550!!! Well you seem to know what to look for regarding the ussal issues. Well no warranty.. Hopefully you have made a fantastic purchase and Pannys are a fantastic make. Vincent Teo is always making fantastic reviews of either LG or Panasonic. :smashin::thumbsup:

I know Marc I am very apprehensive but for £550 I just couldn’t really say no.
Watched black panther last night on the 4K player - a title I know the LG it’s replacing has had difficulty with and it was absolutely perfect. Hopefully it stays that way otherwise it may just be the victim on the kids and require a house insurance claim! Lol

Now all that remains I think is to watch some sport to assess the motion blurring and then put the LG up for sale.

Kanger

I would have liked an Oled too but i just know with the amount of sport and Sky sports news chs i watch i would get burn in.My 9 year old panny plasma suffered burn in from SSN so it would only be a matter of time before the burn in appeared.

Pashrrr

Standard Member
Hi guys, I have a lg sj800v. And I beleive after the latest update my TV has just been absolutely broke pretty much. The whole guide is really slow and is lagging so much. The control isnt working properly . My TV also wont connect to the internet anymore . I've tried resetting my TV and things like that but nothing seems to help . I'm not too sure what else I can do . Can anybody help?

marcd5123

Hi @Pashrrr ...To be honest freeview guide has always been a bit sluggish and how with all the updates over the years.

The very last update was this year back in July 2019 I think so far my SJ810v works perfectly fine Iv had no real issues it works 100%. Remote control works perfectly fine as well.

If you have reset your TV and still no luck then maybe it's a hardware issue that's developed if you purchased your TV from either RS or JL or even the dredded Curry's then to my belief they all carry a 5 Year warranty.

Pashrrr

Standard Member
Hi @Pashrrr ...To be honest freeview guide has always been a bit sluggish and how with all the updates over the years.

The very last update was this year back in July 2019 I think so far my SJ810v works perfectly fine Iv had no real issues it works 100%. Remote control works perfectly fine as well.

If you have reset your TV and still no luck then maybe it's a hardware issue that's developed if you purchased your TV from either RS or JL or even the dredded Curry's then to my belief they all carry a 5 Year warranty.
Hi , thanks for the reply . I've never actually had any issues with the hardware at all. Its actually always been super fast . It's been absolutely amazing the time I had and I've never had any issues with it at all. I've had it for about 2 years now . Is there not anyway to re install a previous update on these TV's?

marcd5123

Hi , thanks for the reply . I've never actually had any issues with the hardware at all. Its actually always been super fast . It's been absolutely amazing the time I had and I've never had any issues with it at all. I've had it for about 2 years now . Is there not anyway to re install a previous update on these TV's?
[/QUOTE

Hi @Pashrrr Snap same here. I believe many have asked that question and I think the answer is no. You would have to find a copy of the previous firmware for a start and that would be somewhat difficult. Even if you did I think the TV won't let you go back... One to try anyhow thr worst happends it just sits their and ignore the firmware file.

BTW I I was going to post this on this thread but I took the plunge from Rtings website and took the time 3 weeks ago and uploaded all their calibration settings yes it's for SJ8500 which was the US equivalent to our UK/EU SJ810/810/850 series and yes they stated not to as panal tolerance can slightly differ even with the same size and models. They also stated you can copy them over and at the worse of it looks horrible just reset it so no harm done.

Well I did just that 3 weeks ago and for my SJ810V of either perfect 👌 or bloody close to 100% to my eyes the picture is amazing so much more lifelike than before. Here's the link it's not a 5min job can take a while but it's bloody worth a shoot in my book.

Upto you but I thinks its worth the while. If it looks bad or horrendous just click reset picture mode.

On the internal LG white Test pattern it's super bright and very white and all the others individuall colours just stand out much more.

Rtings also give you settings for the 6 Primary and Secondary colours as well.

Have fun :thumbsup:

marcd5123

Hi All.. Here's the link again if you all wish to try.

For me this seemed to have worked practically 100% I can just see the change with my own eyes over the last few weeks.

Well it will either look fantastic! Awesome or just plain horrendous as Rtings have stated.

marcd5123

Hi @Pashrrr , Yes. The US equivalent of the SJ800/810/950 to my knowledge is SJ8500. In fact someone actually asked that very question on Q&A on Rtings website and they said they had not calibrated a SJ800/810 ect but they had a SJ8500 in their workshop. All 2017 SJ modals from my knowledge used the same Mainboards CPUs hardware ect and Webos 3.5.. :clap:

Heres that very question...

If you do try these settings definitely let us know of the outcome good or bad if they work resly well or rubbish and makes the picture worse.

Pashrrr

Standard Member
Hi @Pashrrr , Yes. The US equivalent of the SJ800/810/950 to my knowledge is SJ8500. In fact someone actually asked that very question on Q&A on Rtings website and they said they had not calibrated a SJ800/810 ect but they had a SJ8500 in their workshop. All 2017 SJ modals from my knowledge used the same Mainboards CPUs hardware ect and Webos 3.5.. :clap:

Heres that very question...

If you do try these settings definitely let us know of the outcome good or bad if they work resly well or rubbish and makes the picture worse.

Thankyou very much for these settings I haven't tried them yet but I will give them ago one time as my settings are already very good. I found out which was actually causing my menu's to be so laggy. Its because it wont connect wirelessly to the internet anymore. Its really strange as it works if you connect it via ethernet. It continuously tries to connect wirelessly and fails over and over again. Its really strange and I really dont know how to fix it. I've tried the basics . Leaving it unplugged for a day etc. Its really a shame cos I basically can't use it wirelessly unless plugged in with a ethernet cable. I was wondering if you had any ideas in how to fix it ?

marcd5123

Thankyou very much for these settings I haven't tried them yet but I will give them ago one time as my settings are already very good. I found out which was actually causing my menu's to be so laggy. Its because it wont connect wirelessly to the internet anymore. Its really strange as it works if you connect it via ethernet. It continuously tries to connect wirelessly and fails over and over again. Its really strange and I really dont know how to fix it. I've tried the basics . Leaving it unplugged for a day etc. Its really a shame cos I basically can't use it wirelessly unless plugged in with a ethernet cable. I was wondering if you had any ideas in how to fix it ?

Hi @Pashrrr oddy enough their is a very well known so called bug within Webos Os which effects both Nano Cell models and OLED's as it's. Been reported so.. So many times including my self a few years back on this forum.

For some strange reason if you leave an option called "quick start" feature to on it keeps the TV in standby mode and thus it starts up literally 2secs faster then when it's fully off.. Anyway this causes in my belief to keep the wifi signal open at all times linked to your router however it does not work for long and seems to cause unusual side effects which it keeps dropping the wifi signal!.

The TV may boot up most days perfectly fine and then after a few days Netlfix won't buffer correctly or Prime won't stream very well ect as it seems to drop the wifi signal between the TV and router.

I even spoke to LG tech about this a back in 2017 and they new this feature does cuase this issues so they said switch it off.

So I did and I hardly ever get any issues at all. It just means the TV boots up like 2 secs longer but the difference is the TV makes a fresh WiFi connection each time scene then Iv never had a problem scene and I stream 4K and 1080p content daily and both Netlfix and Prime Video buffer pretty quickly in a matter of moments most times.

Give that ago for sure if you have not done so otherwise may be a hardware issue with the internal WiFi card. :thumbsup:

No1male

Novice Member
Hi all, I have a the LG SJ800v which we use as a TV but I use a lot as a PC monitor for BFV. I currently use an HDMI cable from my pc which has a 1080ti running at 4k. Friend of mine said it cannot run at 4k with a HDMI cable so figured I would ask the experts on the best way to have my TV set up.

I have the TV on the game option when playing, even if it is a tad dark.

Thanks for the help :)

numskull1980

Hi No1male, sorry bud, but youre friend is talking sh*te lol. Just make sure you got decent cables, i dont mean expensive, just new enough that they certified for uhd, also mine is pretty much exclusively used for gaming, (gtx 1070, most games at 1080p over 60fps, few at 4k) just in case you didnt know, it runs at 120 hz in 1080p, so if you prefer you can drop res in battlefield and have higher fps...... would probably need to set windows display properties to 120hz, i need to do that for every game except rdr2 and gta

Edit: Also the 4k over hdmi thing would be down to what your 1080ti outputs, all the hdmi inputs on the tv are 4k/hdr compatible, so really your question is in the wrong thread, but i assure you it outputs 4k over hdmi, can only send 4k at 60hz though

Last edited:

SeeMoreDigital

Hi @No1male ,

And for other people not doing so.... It's highly recommended that you use nothing but Premium Certified HDMI leads between devices that support HDR (High Dynamic Range) video and pass HDMI ARC/eARC.

All genuine 'Premium Certified' HDMI leads display a hologram and QR code on their packaging (and advertising), which is there to prevent counterfeiting. The QR code can be scanned to confirm the HDMI lead is a genuine certified product.

And given that genuine Premium certified HDMI leads are not expensive, it's pointless taking a risk and buying anything else.

Cheers

No1male

Novice Member
Hi both, that's brilliant really appreciate the help. Ordering better HDMI cable now and also removing my friend lol

Pashrrr

Standard Member
Hi @Pashrrr oddy enough their is a very well known so called bug within Webos Os which effects both Nano Cell models and OLED's as it's. Been reported so.. So many times including my self a few years back on this forum.

For some strange reason if you leave an option called "quick start" feature to on it keeps the TV in standby mode and thus it starts up literally 2secs faster then when it's fully off.. Anyway this causes in my belief to keep the wifi signal open at all times linked to your router however it does not work for long and seems to cause unusual side effects which it keeps dropping the wifi signal!.

The TV may boot up most days perfectly fine and then after a few days Netlfix won't buffer correctly or Prime won't stream very well ect as it seems to drop the wifi signal between the TV and router.

I even spoke to LG tech about this a back in 2017 and they new this feature does cuase this issues so they said switch it off.

So I did and I hardly ever get any issues at all. It just means the TV boots up like 2 secs longer but the difference is the TV makes a fresh WiFi connection each time scene then Iv never had a problem scene and I stream 4K and 1080p content daily and both Netlfix and Prime Video buffer pretty quickly in a matter of moments most times.

Give that ago for sure if you have not done so otherwise may be a hardware issue with the internal WiFi card. :thumbsup:
Hi , yes I've tried everything you have stated but no luck . It's such a bummer I beleive I must have a problem somewhere internally then :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett