ALL SJ 2017 MODELS OWNERS CHAT, REVIEWS AND BEST PICTURE SETTINGS ECT ....

marcd5123

TV updated to 5.80.35 this morning.

Realy!!! Blimmy I throught that the last update back in May was looking like the very last update we were going to get for our models considering the SJ Models are now 3 years old... So tbis is very decent and great news from LG.

However I noticed a few weeks ago they seemed to pull all the surport for my model 49SJ810V off the LG Surport page. Well being 3 years old now I presume they must need room on their servers...

So will have to wait for OTA Update or maybe they will post the update back on their page.:clap::thumbsup:

marcd5123

Hi buddy, I tryed doing a manual update on the TV and pressed update and nothing happened.

I was going to ask which SJ model you had so basically you have the same as mine.

This is annoying why has LG taken surport of the website this does not make sense .

I am going to drop LG Tech an email and see what they say.

So you definitely had that update yesterday morning via OTA any changes you noticed... But then again without a "change log" no one knows...:eek::thumbsdow

marcd5123

Hi @Kanger I had emailed LG tech direct and I am awaiting a reply when I get one and if I get one ..lol I will post it .

I have checked on a regular basis and no update has been issued .Its either a mistake or they are testing out a new Firmware update ..their have been other forum members whom have reported in the past they have had updates without anyone else getting it ..however it is unusual.

Your TV defiantly got the new update 5.80.35 you noticed any changes at all you could report ?? ..:blush::thumbsdow

marcd5123

Hi , Well I have done some home work and it seems we are not alone thier has been an update to 5.80.35 according to the sister website AVS Forums https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...g-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk-1195.html

But this shows it for OLED 2017 owners ...but as far as I know all 2017 OLED and SJ models used both the same software and hardware only the Panels were different , LG changed this from the 2018 models onwards .

Reading from what our US partners are saying it looks like a major update including DV !!! . @Kanger are you able to varify any of this for is what are your throughts ..:love:

So I am somewhat scratching my head as with the US as some have said their does not seem to be any information what so ever even on the Canadian and US LG sites .

Only Via the LG Korean download site is their mention and link to download firmware 5.80.35.

Anyone else has any more info would like to share ???

oliver86

Standard Member
SW File (Version 05.80.35) Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
Reference
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information

1. Improvement
1) Security Update.

2. Applicable model list
86SJ957V-ZA
75SJ955V-ZA
55SJ950V-ZA
65SJ950V-ZA
65SJ9509-ZA
55SJ850V-ZA
60SJ850V-ZA
65SJ850V-ZA
55SJ930V-ZA
65SJ930V-ZA
55SJ8509-ZA
60SJ8509-ZA
65SJ8509-ZA
49SJ810V-ZA
55SJ810V-ZA
60SJ810V-ZA
65SJ810V-ZA
49SJ8109-ZA
55SJ8109-ZA
65SJ8109-ZA
49SJ800V-ZB
55SJ800V-ZB
65SJ800V-ZB
43UJ750V-ZB
49UJ750V-ZB
55UJ750V-ZB
60UJ750V-ZB
65UJ750V-ZB
49UJ7509-ZB
55UJ7509-ZB
65UJ7509-ZB
43UJ7507-ZB
49UJ7507-ZB
55UJ7507-ZB
60UJ7507-ZB
65UJ7507-ZB
43UJ740V-ZA
49UJ740V-ZA
55UJ740V-ZA
49SK7900PLA
55SK7900PLA
65SK7900PLA

3. Release History
[03.51.20]
1. Improved shaking video periodically when connecting VideoCon STB.
2. Improved blinking screen when changing channel after close livezoom.
3. Improved UI moving slowly when playing store demo.
4. Improved lipsync issue on DTV in OLED model.
5. Improved ATV noise on bottom of screen.

[03.60.09]
1. Improvements in HDR (HDR 10/ HLG)
2. Bugs fix in Dolby vision
3. Improvements in shortcut key for apps on remote controller.
4. Improvements in Dolby Atmos

marcd5123

Hi @oliver86 snap!

Yesterday afternoon I had a notification pop up on my TV for the update. I quickly checked to see that the firmware up was available via the LG Surport page as it had been taken down a few weeks back.

The reason is because I do not trust OTA updates as sevral forum members have complained in the past they have had issues and even one member has his TV bricked by having a OTA update so scence last year I always and only ever do a firmware update using a USB Flash Drive and plug it in directly into the TV.

Not only is it much safer is quicker to and should be no chance of a file corruption or any corruption. I do have a pretty decent router but you just never know with OTA updates.

Anyway as per ussal and I think other company's do the same LG has given no real changelog.

Well LG has noted its a "security update" but we all know that when ever their is any firmware updates they never just do the one thing stated it always fix one bug then it effects something else to go wrong... Or their are lots of other fixes in that firmware update and they just never bother putting up a full changelog for us to see.

Its the same with my Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium mobile each month I get a software update security patch update from Sony which is fantastic Sony has been fantastic on that front for ages now but do they provide a changelog nope so none of us know what been fixed or broken.. Lol.

So as with this update it's Down to is all to notice all the changes.

A member on the US site stated that Dolby Vision revision had been updated with this update. I also noticed this update was for both 2017 SJ & 2018 SK models interesting.

Its just great to see LG still providing us 2017 SJ owners with updates in 2019 thank you LG and May long it continue :clap::thumbsup:

numskull1980

Morning all, updated my tv to 05.80.35, at the weekend..... OTA coz i live life on the edge lol

Anyway just wanted to say that although the changelog doesn't say anything, i think they may have somehow improved the contrast...... Can't really say fro tv programmes as i don't watch them ha ha, but i am a gamer and maybe its placebo effect as i know it's had an update, but blacks and whites seem to have improved

marcd5123

Morning all, updated my tv to 05.80.35, at the weekend..... OTA coz i live life on the edge lol

Anyway just wanted to say that although the changelog doesn't say anything, i think they may have somehow improved the contrast...... Can't really say fro tv programmes as i don't watch them ha ha, but i am a gamer and maybe its placebo effect as i know it's had an update, but blacks and whites seem to have improved

Hi @numskull1980... I was hoping someone would stick some feedback..:lesson:

Yes I to noticed that! I mainly watch Netlfix most of the time but I do watch some Amazon Prime and been watching Man In a High Castle on Season 3 now.. And I definitely noticed an improvement to HDR preformance. I to thought it was my eye or rather Placibo effect but it seemed to notche up that much more.

I also watched Alien 40th Anniversary Edition on my ext HDD in 4K Ultra-HD HDR and it also looked that much brighter.

I also checked some Netlfix Content DV and standard 1080p also looked better.

This is sooo typical of LG and most brands they never give a full "change log". It just stated Security update but its never just the one item they fix.

Early days but I'm still monitoring. Iv got to watch some more Stranger Things Season 3 which I have to mention absolutely looks stunning realy quite awesome in DV!!! To be fair I thinks it's by far the best DV content quality wise on Netlfix. :thumbsup:

Freewheelin

Standard Member
I still get the annoying auto-dimming effect when watching DV content on 4K UHD Blu-rays or Netflix :(

Don’t think this can ever be fixed with an update

marcd5123

I still get the annoying auto-dimming effect when watching DV content on 4K UHD Blu-rays or Netflix :(

Don’t think this can ever be fixed with an update

Snap ! I agree that part still happens the thing it happens to HDR10 as well :lesson: . I get it while watching Man In a High Castle (Prime Video) or any HDR10 content via my Ext HDD .

Did LG try to combat this issue a while ago I belive they did an update for their OLED Models but for some reason left out the update for the LG S-UHD Models ???.. Unless this is something they cant fix on the Super Range ..mmm I think they can and they need to still address this issue . :thumbsdow:nono:

Freewheelin

Standard Member
Snap ! I agree that part still happens the thing it happens to HDR10 as well :lesson: . I get it while watching Man In a High Castle (Prime Video) or any HDR10 content via my Ext HDD .

Did LG try to combat this issue a while ago I belive they did an update for their OLED Models but for some reason left out the update for the LG S-UHD Models ???.. Unless this is something they cant fix on the Super Range ..mmm I think they can and they need to still address this issue . :thumbsdow:nono:
I never get it on HDR10 content, just DV content strangely. Maybe this is a backlighting thing/poor panel design.

marcd5123

I never get it on HDR10 content, just DV content strangely. Maybe this is a backlighting thing/poor panel design.

Hi @Freewheelin I check agian tonight.. However it definitely does not happen on normal 1080p or 4K content its perfectly fine... Dolby Vision for sure.. But I'll check it on Amazon Prime again Man In a High Castle that's in HDR10.

Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me...mmm I post my findings once more. :thumbsup:

Kanger

I get it with DV too but not all programs. Altered States, Lost in Space are fine.But Ozark... jeez its like somebody turning a light switch on and off between scenes. Very distracting to the point of being unwatchable.

numskull1980

I get it with DV too but not all programs. Altered States, Lost in Space are fine.But Ozark... jeez its like somebody turning a light switch on and off between scenes. Very distracting to the point of being unwatchable.

Im assuming its on.... go n switch local dimming off. That sounds more like a limitation of the tv, as opposed to an issue, its less noticible on sets with full array local dimming, we only have i think its 12 zones for local dimming on these sets, whereas a FALD set has around 50 zones minimum

marcd5123

Im assuming its on.... go n switch local dimming off. That sounds more like a limitation of the tv, as opposed to an issue, its less noticible on sets with full array local dimming, we only have i think its 12 zones for local dimming on these sets, whereas a FALD set has around 50 zones minimum

Hi @numskull1980 very true.. To be honest I set my local dimming to medium and I find that gives the best results as per using "technicolor expert" mode.

I'm used to it anyway I don't it let the local dimming get on my nerves. I used to have a Sony 1st Generation 2015 Andriod TV and that had no local dimming, I can say for a fact hands down for my experience even Local Dimming make quite a difference and a decent enough and amount of improvement to the picture so for me I'm greatful for that.

One tip for anyone wanting to try... I lowered my brightness leval from default 50% down 5% to 45% and that seemed to make quite a noticeable difference to the blacks and shadows detials and much more pop to the colours naturally!.

I would not drop the brightness down any more than 45% as that will most definitely crush your finer detials and also make the picture far to dark.

I felt with 45% gave the picture far more edge to whites as well and resly for me gave better dynamics to the picture.

Also resly strengthens up the blacks as well.

Definitely work giving it ago just drop it between 50% to 45% and just see how much difference it makes. Also I found for me it helped bring out the finner detials of the picture or it helped show them up far more and getting the brightness balance just spot on. If you look carefully and make small adjustments you will fine tune to get you the very best out your SJ model.:smashin::clap:

From Freeview HD to Netlfix DV to HDR10 changing the brightness that few steps did make a positive difference.

Arnie440

Novice Member
Hello,

Recently my 49 SJ800V has been frustratingly slow to operate, it's like the batteries in the remote are dead (they aren't) the menu and cursor just don't respond sometimes and the whole thing is so clunky, I'm reluctant to try resetting to factory because then I'd have to tune the picture again and that's a lot of hassle. Are there any other suggestions?

Nessie1812

Standard Member
Hi,

I’ve got the SJ810V and my tv updated automatically. I’m using a blend of settings posted here mostly from marcd5123 (thanks Marc) and then tweaked to suit my own preferences.

I’m not sure if it’s placebo also but my kids watch a lot of cartoons on the tv (peppa pig and How to train your dragon,etc) and the colours since update seem to pop a lot more to my eyes, much brighter, sharper and more defined.

I’ve yet to try true 4K content on Panasonic DMP-UB900 but intend on giving black panther a whirl at the weekend as i know this to be a title which my panel has had difficulty coping with. Will post comments again once done if anyone’s interested.

Also if anyone has any updated settings since the update please share as I’d be keen to try these out.

Ta!

marcd5123

Hi,

I’ve got the SJ810V and my tv updated automatically. I’m using a blend of settings posted here mostly from marcd5123 (thanks Marc) and then tweaked to suit my own preferences.

I’m not sure if it’s placebo also but my kids watch a lot of cartoons on the tv (peppa pig and How to train your dragon,etc) and the colours since update seem to pop a lot more to my eyes, much brighter, sharper and more defined.

I’ve yet to try true 4K content on Panasonic DMP-UB900 but intend on giving black panther a whirl at the weekend as i know this to be a title which my panel has had difficulty coping with. Will post comments again once done if anyone’s interested.

Also if anyone has any updated settings since the update please share as I’d be keen to try these out.

Ta!

@Nessie1812 Sorry to here of your problems.

Okay.. First thing first what I would say and even LG would say is do a factory reset but like you it does take quite a fair amount of time to get it back up!.

However a second trick which I was told by LG and it has worked for me on sevral occasions is to unplug the TV from the mains completely take the plug out and leave it unplugged for a day or a whole afternoon or morning sevral hours worth this completely wipes the internal memory without effecting any settings. Then switch the TV back on again. See if that works.

Make sure you have not used up all the avaliable memory on the TV close all background apps not in use from the recents bar...

Try all those buddy :smashin:

Nessie1812

Standard Member
So....
Watching Black Panther in 4K.

Within seconds I had to turn off the local area dimming. My default setting is low but yet again it seems to go crazy to compensate the dark scenes, needlessly throwing curtains of white light on screen ruining the uniformity of the colour and picture.

Switched it to off and wow!
I’ll probably have another go watching this but tweak the colour a little and brightness but the black reproduction was outstanding. The deepest black I’ve seen without pixelation for a while (OLED excluded). I’d possibly go as far as to say that it’s better than my Panasonic cx802b.

Colours themselves and detail were sharp and excellent reproduced, not that it wasn’t good before but it just seems a bit tighter and flows more.

Now if only they could resolve the local area dimming, suspect I’ll just need to leave it off though.

marcd5123

So....
Watching Black Panther in 4K.

Within seconds I had to turn off the local area dimming. My default setting is low but yet again it seems to go crazy to compensate the dark scenes, needlessly throwing curtains of white light on screen ruining the uniformity of the colour and picture.

Switched it to off and wow!
I’ll probably have another go watching this but tweak the colour a little and brightness but the black reproduction was outstanding. The deepest black I’ve seen without pixelation for a while (OLED excluded). I’d possibly go as far as to say that it’s better than my Panasonic cx802b.

Colours themselves and detail were sharp and excellent reproduced, not that it wasn’t good before but it just seems a bit tighter and flows more.

Now if only they could resolve the local area dimming, suspect I’ll just need to leave it off though.

@Nessie1812 to be honest local dimming is or can be hit and miss.. Or each to their own.

Some members on here have it set to medium and like it very much some hate it and set it to Off or low. The thing is we all have different eyes some more sensertive than others.

Iv always said that the 2017 SJ models were absolutely fantastic for money value and picture quality!!!. LG realy made some quality products here so I'm a very Happy LG customer. We are now 2019 so effectively SJ models are 3 years old and still LG are surporting these models so thats very good customer service in my book.

Last night watching Another Life on Netlfix in DV looked and sounded awesome with Dolby Atmos no complaints from me.

Im also a massive Star Trek fan so watching let's say Star Trek Original series the remastered Blu-Ray editions on Netflix the quality is outstanding from my point of view the backs are very deep colours very punchy and the picture is very sharp and crisp. I have tended to find ever scene I originally purchased my 49SJ810V back in August of 2017 all the LG firmware updates have generally pushed the TV more and more with improvements.

Okay their has been the occasional issues or bug but for me and my 49SJ810V the recent last few updates have been excellent and I have found both HDR10 and DV has improved quite a bit.

Yes I totally agree you do need to spend some time it can take weeks months to get it just spot on it took me months tweeking ect,but if you make small adjustments you can get a seriously excellent picture.

I mainly watch Netlfix most of the time however I do watch some things on Amazon Prime like some of the old Horror movies or old Si-Fi movies that are in 1080p and even those come out bloody good in these sets.

Yes we all know that IPS Pannals have their issues and some tend to prefer VA.. But as they say "it is what it is"..

For me I made the correct decision to ditch Sony Andriod TV and head over to LG!!.

My TV does however suffer from some very light banding thankfully it's on the right hand side of the screen to 2 narrow bands going down the TV.

Now I have a 5 Year warranty with John Lewis and could get them to sort that out.. But as we all know if I get this done I will end up with a refurbished panal which may end up suffering more DSE effect, bad clouding issues and or light bleed.

These narrow bands as they are on the far right hand corner and been like that for over a year now I am no way going to get the panal changed its far to risky "panal lottery".

The screen tends to give an almost perfect uniformity around the corners DSE effect is fairly low and I can't realy see much clouding or light bleeding. As our eyes tend to focus mostly on the central part of the screen this has given me no issues what so ever and the 2 narrows bands at the far right hand side of the screen are only more noticeable on certain pictures or colours and unless you pointed it out to someone they would not even notice.

I never had any banding issues untill around 3 months into haveing the TV. Now unless anything else goes wrong or the banding suddenly gets far worse it just not worth taking that risk as the rest of the TV works flawlessly :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention I can 100% can't highly recommed getting "Bias Lighting " for the TV!!!! This seriously make a huge difference.

I used to get bad eye strain and headaches then folks at work and on this thread suggested to get or grab some Bias Lighting from Amazon if never looked back.

I put a load of Bias LED lighting at the back of the TV and wow what a difference to the picture quality..:smashin: Eye strains and headaches slowly disappeared.. Both Blacks and Contrast levals went right up!!

Last edited:

4K UHD Fan

Not sure I want to chance the 05.80.35 update after the last one bricking my HDTV so LG had to replace the entire mainboard :(

I now have it plugged into my router via a CAT6 lan cable never ever taking a chance with the wifi again (I disabled it forever in the menu!).

@marcd5123
Alien 4K UHD does look very dark on this set I watched that back in April so that is slightly tempting me that you say 05.80.35 looks brighter now :hiya:

marcd5123

Not sure I want to chance the 05.80.35 update after the last one bricking my HDTV so LG had to replace the entire mainboard :(

I now have it plugged into my router via a CAT6 lan cable never ever taking a chance with the wifi again (I disabled it forever in the menu!).

@marcd5123
Alien 4K UHD does look very dark on this set I watched that back in April so that is slightly tempting me that you say 05.80.35 looks brighter now :hiya:

Hi @4K UHD Fan.. Yes.. It would not say its jump out your chair brighter like DV is.. But to me it's definitely that much noticeably brighter. I watched Warterworld last night also in 4K Ultra-HD HDR and to me that looked fantastic and pretty decent brightness.

I only ever did a OTA update once and herd their can be problems or members have had some issues.

The last few updates I canceled the OTA updates when prompted and instead just downloaded the firmware update directly to a USB Flash drive formatted to NTFS and Iv never had a single problem it's faster that way and also virtually no way their can be any file corruption what so ever unless the fire became corrupted upon downloading it from LG Surport website if that was the case everyone would have bricked TV.

Nope last few updates my TV has been running pretty dam well and HDR10 and DV seemed to gained some real improvements!!.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Nessie1812

Standard Member
@Nessie1812 to be honest local dimming is or can be hit and miss.. Or each to their own.

Some members on here have it set to medium and like it very much some hate it and set it to Off or low. The thing is we all have different eyes some more sensertive than others.

Iv always said that the 2017 SJ models were absolutely fantastic for money value and picture quality!!!. LG realy made some quality products here so I'm a very Happy LG customer. We are now 2019 so effectively SJ models are 3 years old and still LG are surporting these models so thats very good customer service in my book.

Last night watching Another Life on Netlfix in DV looked and sounded awesome with Dolby Atmos no complaints from me.

Im also a massive Star Trek fan so watching let's say Star Trek Original series the remastered Blu-Ray editions on Netflix the quality is outstanding from my point of view the backs are very deep colours very punchy and the picture is very sharp and crisp. I have tended to find ever scene I originally purchased my 49SJ810V back in August of 2017 all the LG firmware updates have generally pushed the TV more and more with improvements.

Okay their has been the occasional issues or bug but for me and my 49SJ810V the recent last few updates have been excellent and I have found both HDR10 and DV has improved quite a bit.

Yes I totally agree you do need to spend some time it can take weeks months to get it just spot on it took me months tweeking ect,but if you make small adjustments you can get a seriously excellent picture.

I mainly watch Netlfix most of the time however I do watch some things on Amazon Prime like some of the old Horror movies or old Si-Fi movies that are in 1080p and even those come out bloody good in these sets.

Yes we all know that IPS Pannals have their issues and some tend to prefer VA.. But as they say "it is what it is"..

For me I made the correct decision to ditch Sony Andriod TV and head over to LG!!.

My TV does however suffer from some very light banding thankfully it's on the right hand side of the screen to 2 narrow bands going down the TV.

Now I have a 5 Year warranty with John Lewis and could get them to sort that out.. But as we all know if I get this done I will end up with a refurbished panal which may end up suffering more DSE effect, bad clouding issues and or light bleed.

These narrow bands as they are on the far right hand corner and been like that for over a year now I am no way going to get the panal changed its far to risky "panal lottery".

The screen tends to give an almost perfect uniformity around the corners DSE effect is fairly low and I can't realy see much clouding or light bleeding. As our eyes tend to focus mostly on the central part of the screen this has given me no issues what so ever and the 2 narrows bands at the far right hand side of the screen are only more noticeable on certain pictures or colours and unless you pointed it out to someone they would not even notice.

I never had any banding issues untill around 3 months into haveing the TV. Now unless anything else goes wrong or the banding suddenly gets far worse it just not worth taking that risk as the rest of the TV works flawlessly :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention I can 100% can't highly recommed getting "Bias Lighting " for the TV!!!! This seriously make a huge difference.

I used to get bad eye strain and headaches then folks at work and on this thread suggested to get or grab some Bias Lighting from Amazon if never looked back.

I put a load of Bias LED lighting at the back of the TV and wow what a difference to the picture quality..:smashin: Eye strains and headaches slowly disappeared.. Both Blacks and Contrast levals went right up!!

I bought the tv purely on the reviews here and the first thing I did was buy the bias lighting.
Didn’t think it would make any difference but it really did.

I know the dimming is a personal taste but for me I have to have it off. My eyes cannot stand it, and it seems to be worse when I’m playing direct 4K material off of my panny player.

I have just been offered a good deal on an OLED though and I’m seriously tempted to sell the set. Tough decision to be made...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021