Quantcast

ALL SJ 2017 MODELS OWNERS CHAT, REVIEWS AND BEST PICTURE SETTINGS ECT ....

marcd5123

Hey guys ...

I got in contact with LG technical support and not standard customer service surport and I had an actual LG engineer send this important information over to me today .

It was to clear matter up that their seemed to be confusion with ''SJ'' model 800V and 810V !!!!

I own the 49SJ800V model and it is in fact a native 10bit pannel and not 8bit + FRC .

Also another matter cleared up and I'm going to email /speak to Sachin Rai and proper LG engineer to double check as it clearly shows

This pannel is RGB and not what some people and articles other forums members were quoted and claiming from sources and blogs on the Web that it's a RGBW pannel .Even better !

As I said I'm going to double conform it's a RGB pannel as well here is what he kindly sent to me remember this is the
49SJ800V model and not 810V were they are using a different pannel as that model was or is Currys exclusive.
!cid_image001_jpg%4001D34BEC.jpg

marcd5123

Hi folks I must add this information as well to my post above ...

LG seems to be using RGBW formation on the larger screen in the SJ series !!!!

According to some well known websites I k know of this is what I found

From hdguru.com website

''The 2017 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV series using RGBW panels include: the UJ6300, UJ6500, UJ7700 and SJ8000. The SJ8000 is part of LG’s premium Super UHD LED LCD assortment offering its advanced new Nano Cell LED LCD technology.''

Then I also found this from great guys at

Techradar.com

The SJ9500 will be available in two screen sizes, 86 and 65, while the SJ8500 and SJ8000 will come in all the normal sizes 65-inch, 60-inch and 55-inch. That said, the SJ8500 will also offer a 75-inch screen for anyone who wants something larger than a 65 but not as big as the 86-inch behemoth.

So this does in fact prove and I'm goona get another verification from Sachin at LG tech department just to reafirm that the 49'' is unaffected and does use a proper RGB strip !!! I will post what I get back from LG

Von Smittle

So is this a good TV for gaming?

I see input lag is around 38MS but on the but I see in gaming mode this is lowered to around 18MS.

Seems an incredible TV for the price (10bit HDR, Dolby Vision) but no reviews anywhere which makes me nervous.

hi there

Standard Member
marcd, if you have a decent camera on your smartphone, ipad etc. put the camera at maximum zoom and hold it close to a static white image on your tv screen.
You might have to gently move the camera back and forth to get it to focus, but when it does, you should easily be able to tell whether yours is a RGBW screen or not.
As for whether it is 10 bit or not, I couldn’t say. Some reviewers have described even the 850v model as being 8 bit + FRC, so there seems to be some contradicton even there.

Last edited:

marcd5123

Displayspec website notes down 800V model 10bit but also notes down the 810V apprently is 8bit +FRC.

I'm pretty confident my 800V is native 10bit it's shows a dam good DV picture in Netflix I'm impressed and the screen does not dim any were near as much as standard HDR image in Amazon prime . In fact the DV image only just a tad dimmer than standard 4K image well that's how I see mine anyhow

marcd5123

The picture texture in DV does show a lot more than standard HDR image in Amazon. Watching Star Trek Discovery as I'm a massive Treky fan anyhow and also Stranger Things is pretty dam impressive visuals.

marcd5123

Hey guys well I found this test page on you tube here are the results based on my

LG 49SJ800V

Looks like it is a proper RGB pannel to me .

It has to be how as you can clearly see from the pictures I took below clearly shows Red Green Blue and white pixels being shown at the same time while above just Red green and blue only ..

Any other thoughts or opinions

20171102_005854.jpg
20171102_005757.jpg
20171102_005751.jpg
20171102_005737.jpg
20171102_005708.jpg
20171102_005506.jpg

Here is the link to the youtube channel

marcd5123

marcd, if you have a decent camera on your smartphone, ipad etc. put the camera at maximum zoom and hold it close to a static white image on your tv screen.
You might have to gently move the camera back and forth to get it to focus, but when it does, you should easily be able to tell whether yours is a RGBW screen or not.
As for whether it is 10 bit or not, I couldn’t say. Some reviewers have described even the 850v model as being 8 bit + FRC, so there seems to be some contradicton even there.
Hi any thoughts on my results below ???

Cheers

holiver

I don't think whether a TV is 10bit or 8bit plus dithering is a big deal any more. They both seem to give good results in objective reviews.

I think you will need to take a very close up picture of visible pixels to see whether it is RGBW or not. That being said I am glad you are happy with the picture in any case; it is a TV I am considering.

marcd5123

I don't think whether a TV is 10bit or 8bit plus dithering is a big deal any more. They both seem to give good results in objective reviews.

I think you will need to take a very close up picture of visible pixels to see whether it is RGBW or not. That being said I am glad you are happy with the picture in any case; it is a TV I am considering.
Hi Holiver yes you have a valid and fair point .

For me it kinda matters I wanted a Native 10bit pannel rather than 8+frc dithering.

I wanted to make sure that I get the absolute best possible HDR10 and Dolby Vison picture and you realy can only get that by having a reall native 10bit pannel.

After all at the end of the day that's what ''HDR10'' means High dynamic Range 10bit if I'm correct .

I don't get it if you buy an HDR TV based and watch HDR content I expect to get a proper and just HDR10 image .

I don't expect to get this so called software+hardware trickery to get a so called HDR10 image what's the point ???.

In my opinion you either pay that extra £150-200 for a proper 10bit pannel or you don't .

It all marketing from all the manufacturers Sony LG Panasonic they all do it so you buy this so called HDR pannel that does not give you the correct HDR image instead you get an upto HDR image .

All retailers should explain this to people when they are going to buy and spend these sorts of money's but they don't .

LG spokesman told me they in fact used to do this year's back but people found it complicated .

Personally I think it very wrong .

I work in the IT industry for many years and this same very thing has happens with Intel CPUs back in the old days of the 1990's if any of you remember their was a special device called an ''overdrive''.

The idea was to give you that particular speed of CPU when in fact it was not a true clock speed of that CPU .

You had your CPU in your PC and you stuck the overdrive on top of it .

This is a very similar case giving you a ''so called'' HDR10 picture no matter how great the results are .

Just food for thought for the discussion folks ..I also had to learn the hard way over the past few years with this technology [emoji6] [emoji3]

marcd5123

So folks I also must add that this pannel shows to me it's a proper RGB pannel by the looks of it .

I'm going to get some extra clarification from an LG technician when he emails me back at some point soon.

I conducted some tests as some of you suggested above to show if it's a RGB or RGBW formation and it does show to me RGB formation pictures that I took above in this thread [emoji2]

marcd5123

Don't need to I ran the above test clearly shows what the pannel can do see my earlier pictures in the thread .

GazandMatt

I have brought this Tv for Christmas, it is upstairs in box ready! Need to sell my 49UF850 after Christmas. Anyway, I can't find any picture setting online? What setting have you guys used? Thanks.

marcd5123

Yep I use standard settings for freeview and switch of all motion processing. I use technicolour mode for Netflix and Amazon and cinema home mode for dolby vision with a few tweeks

hi there

Standard Member
<redacted> (blurry image of pixels). Managed to spot an LG 49SJ810V in Currys, which clearly shows the RGBW pixel structure in close up (photo taken with an ipad).
I haven’t seen any LG 49SJ800V anywhere in my area so far though (they seem to be for delivery only).

Last edited:

marcd5123

Yep John Lewis and Richer sounds sold 800V pannel 810V was exclusive to Currys only and I was told that the 810V uses a diffrence pannel to the 800V

marcd5123

To note both had different RRP dispite have almost the same spec
I have a feeling we have just found out the reason why it looks like the 810V uses RGBW and 8bit + FRC ad reported by ''displayspec'' website as well

While the 800V uses a native 10bit pannel as I habe concrete proof of that direct from an LG technician not their customer sales staff and I pretty confident 800V uses proper RGB pannel formation . Also displayspec and LG conform .

Keep the posts coming the more proof we have its better for others I say .

Last edited:

SeeMoreDigital

I haven’t seen any LG 49SJ800V anywhere in my area so far though (they seem to be for delivery only).
Try Richer Sounds and John Lewis...

marcd5123

Okay folks ! I think I need to make a correction it does look like the 800V model is RGBW formation pannel. ..

Found this looking carefully at the displayspec website it showed this but a little confused even with this .

It won't let me copy and paste so I'll type it exactly ad it shows on the page .

RGBW Structure 2880 - (RGB) + 960W

Why has it put in brackets (RGB) does this mean it is a RGB pannel and RGBW is just a template for the website as LG uses different pannels in some of its models mmmm ...

Be great to here more info however I have these pictures to add that I managed to take with my 800V it looks like it is RGBW .

Last edited:

hi there

Standard Member
I'm going to Lichfield, Staffordshire this afternoon, so I might pop into Richer sounds and see if they have any 800V's on display (will take a photo if they let me).
The LG 55SJ850V is £799 at the moment, so that's a temptation.
I was thinking of the design of the 800V which seems a little more "basic" than the 810V (no offence intended to 800V owners). I wonder if that is made up for by it having a 10-bit panel (I would sooner take the better panel over a fancy central stand!)

marcd5123

I'm going to Lichfield, Staffordshire this afternoon, so I might pop into Richer sounds and see if they have any 800V's on display (will take a photo if they let me).
The LG 55SJ850V is £799 at the moment, so that's a temptation.
I was thinking of the design of the 800V which seems a little more "basic" than the 810V (no offence intended to 800V owners). I wonder if that is made up for by it having a 10-bit panel (I would sooner take the better panel over a fancy central stand!)
Hi Hi their ...lol ..

Sounds a great idea you may be correct .

But the 800V is a native 10bit pannel .I preferred the 810V because of the stand looked better but as you correctly stated I went for the quality hands Down and doing some research before hand .

Last night I watched on Netflix a film called Do-Over 2017 Adam Sandler filmed in Dolby Vison and wow the quality on the 800V was amazing even if it does use RGBW pannel don't realy care having the Native 10bit pannel totaly makes up for that !!!

And LG Webos and hardware to be honest is first rate after having such a bad time with A Sony Android TV the 800V totaly blows it out the Warter ..

Be great to here your feed back and am pretty sure what your answer is likely to be .

Von Smittle

So you like this TV then?

Still on the fence as there seems to be so little info out there about it.

marcd5123

So you like this TV then?

Still on the fence as there seems to be so little info out there about it.
Hi Von smittle well yes and no to being the fence about it .

Its more I totaly got screwed over by Sony and their dredful Android TV peformance for the same price range that everyone else is doing and it's LG just seems to be on the case all the time !

I wanted to make sure that what Sony screwed me and to be honest quote a lot of people over the past year with their 2015 and 2016 models their so called mediatek chip sets which are terribly underpowered CPUS for the platform I was not going to make the same mistakes again.

And to be honest it's been great .

I had a LG 43UJ750 for a week from John Lewis few months ago then noticed John Lewis Oxford Street dropped the price of the SJ model so I jumped at that chance .

So far yes I am totaly impressed not just at 10bit pannel but the whole experience as a while Webos is truly a fantastic freaking awesome platform it's streets ahead of Sony and most brands Wright now so I know I made the correct choice .

And not only LG seem to be in top of firmware updates for Dolby Vison Dolby Atmos and HLG !!! What more could you want .

Sony are by far the absolute worst for software updates for Android TV and herensious as implementation or development.

It took me months to sort things out and get a full refund credit only after owning 2015 Android model 8 months !.

John Lewis were absolutely fantastic throughout and they even gave me an extra £75 towards the cost of any TV I wanted plus my credit refund .

I say to all stay well clear of Sony Wright now LG Samsung are the best two brands top stick too as far as I can see .

Last edited:

Von Smittle

The hell is going on with this TV?

It’s sold out everywhere