All round Laptop for £400ish (Help me choose - PLEASE!!!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Glenn Wood, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What is your budget?

£400 - maybe slightly more.

What size laptop do you want?
    (In terms of screen size)

15" is fine - although 13" would also be good.

Do you have resolution requirements?

Not particularly - would like some HD capability, but 720p would be fine - not expecting anything more at my budget.

Do you want a matte or glossy (reflective) screen?

No particular preference - it is mainly used at home.

What will you be using the laptop for?
    For example, Browsing, Gaming, Word Processing, Video Editing, Web/Graphic Design

Some Office documents, a little gaming, web browsing, minor video editing. (More converting video to fit my phone than anything else.)

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?

Football Manager is as intensive as it is likely to get

How long does the battery need to last?

Anything is better than current laptop which has just fried it's second battery - a good few hours would be nice.

Does it need to be portable?

Mainly used at home, but wouldn't want anything too bulky.

Do you require Blu-Ray?

Not necessary, but a pleasant addition (don't expect it at this price.)

Do you require HDMI output?

Preferably, yes.

Do you have a preferred brand?

No particular feeling on brands, but have read positive feedback on Lenovo, Asus and others. Are there any others I should avoid?

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?

I guess this is aimed at Dell Outlet or similar - I'd consider refurbs, but would prefer new. (As the dell thing seems to depend on being online at right time each day.)

Any other details you feel necessary... Colour; Webcam; Good quality speakers; general spec: CPU, RAM, HDD space, SSD; Operating System or anything else you can think of.

I've seen many 2nd gen i3 processors, and even some 2nd gen i5 processors at my budget.

But I have no idea how other intel processors or amd processors match up - so I'm happy for any pointers.

I'll post some links to what I've seen in a minute - happy to take any other recommendations and any views on retailers.

2. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Rainman Andy

Rainman Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have very similar requirements to you and have been looking for a while for a bargain 15 inch laptop capable of running FM2012 as quickly as possible for no more than £400. For this price you should be looking for a i5 2nd gen processor with minimum 4Gb RAM. If this is as far as your gaming needs go then you don't need a separate graphics card as the onboard 3000HD graphics should run the 3D engine fine.

The Asus you linked to looks good value with a better processor than the other 2.

If you are prepared to go the Dell Outlet route then you should be able to pick the same spec up for around £350 (this is what I went for at a price of £351 delivered - hasn't arrived yet but the comments on this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/lapt...63681-dell-outlet-laptop-thread-part-2-a.html persuaded me that this was the way to go).

Dell outlet are doing free delivery at the moment and the i5 2nd gens come up pretty regularly and don't always get snapped up immediately at that price - if you can be around at 2.30pm ish then you may get an even better spec for your money.

4. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
  5. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Question about the Asus laptops - is the x54 a progression from the x53? The x53 seems to be available with better level processors/ram.

In all fairness, think I'm edging towards the Asus. But I will try the Dell route too - just have work/children issues towards ever being in at the right time for them. :)

I see on another thread the x53 was available with 6GB Ram, 750GB HDD, and i5 processor for £399 at Comet before xmas, but then went up to £449, and now seems to be sold out in that version.

Buy ASUS X53E-SX1194V | 15.6" LAPTOP - Laptops | Comet

If that came back - even at £449 - I would have to be tempted, but it would seem unbeatable at £399.

And, are the Dell refurbs updated every day, or just week days?

6. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    The Dell Outlet website updates every 15 minutes.
    Thats why I say to people if you see something you like but want to continue looking stick it in your basket that way you have 15 minutes before it goes back on list(If you haven't bought it) for someone else to snap up.
    As to how often the site is stocked I don't know.(It could be weekly)

7. Rainman Andy

Rainman Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It's certainly daily (2.30pm ish) during the week - not sure about weekends though.

8. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  9. brookheather

brookheather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928