1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Quiet on the Western Front...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am renaming this thread as nobody read it under its previous title when I posted it last week (amazing the importance of a name!)

Hi all,

It all seems a little quiet around here. Not much in the way of discussion going on, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for new threads?

What about a 'best DVD ever' discussion/debate/poll?

What does the perfect DVD need/not need?

Will DVD ever be replaced? If so, by what and when?

Anybody interested?

Any other ideas?

Lex :)

Apparently I cannot change the title!! :rolleyes:

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lex

Have a look at my thread on film trivia on the Film & TV section. Can you contribute?.

By the way Lex, Re: what I look like without my helmet off (fnarr,fnarr). I'm a handsome guy in a demonic kind of way!.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Movie trivia is not my strong point Darth - for now I will just read it until I can think of something to contribute! ;)

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is hard to say what the best DVD is...

Do you talk about quality of transfer?

Extra features?
    - Too many?
    - Not enough?
    - The wrong kind?

Packaging?

The actual film?

For me the DVD which feels most satisfying to own is the Criterion version of Brazil. It is a fantastic film, fabulously packaged, enlightening and informative extras, and a good enough transfer.

Another I really love is the (region 1) New Line Platinum release of SE7EN - surely the best transfer of any film to DVD yet? Also got great packaging and extras too.

Some DVDs for me have too many 'unnecessary' extras. e.g. I do not really want to re-edit the trailer!

For me a DVD needs:

1) A director's audio commentary
    2) A making of documentary (preferably specially made and including making of the DVD as well as the film)
    3) Trailers/Promotional material
    4) Cut scenes (with commentary)

I also feel that a DVD should have a large contribution from the director (if still alive!!) within the extra features.

What do others think?

Lex.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For me, i think that the most important thing is that the film is good! Second to that, i like it to haveall the trimmings picture an sound wise......i couldnt care less about extras, so long as the disc has anamorphic picture and dd and dts sound tracks...

for me thats what constaitutes a quality disc!

ad

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It surprises me how many people feel this way about extra features. I think extra features are extremely important. I love the idea of a director talking you through his film...
    To my mind the extra features often make the difference between a DVD being worth buying or not - if it is an average film, but has good extra features then I will buy it, whereas if it is an average film with no extra features I wont bother.

I think extra features are particularly important with older and 'classic' films. A lot of people will already own a copy of say Die Hard, or The Godfather on VHS. It is extra features like making ofs and documentaries which make it more worth while upgrading to DVD.

I own many of the Kubrick DVDs. To me they are only temporarily in my collection until ones with extra features are released (Come on WB!:rolleyes: )

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The major thing that attracted me to DVD was the extras and especially the commentaries. I won't even buy a film without a commentary or a load of other extras if to compensate for the absence of one. If a film doesn't have extras, I'll usually wait to find it cheap in some sort of sale at Play or HMV. Only the inclusion of a DTS sounstrack will change this, but this doesn't happen because a DTS soundtrack sadly seems to be regarded as an 'extra' by most studios.

I'm happy to see that such extras are fast becoming the norm in DVD now.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anytime i actually go to look at the extras, i inevitably end up just watching the film! The extras require you to think about what yoiu are doing, i like cinema to be relaxing!

ad