All owners of Tosh RDXS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by F G Evans, Oct 5, 2004.

1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just sent off for this fine machine (on the basis of the helpful reviews on this site) and have a few questions relating to its set up.

I have a Tosh 42PW23 rear projection set which currently is home to my Tosh 330DVD player running through component inputs.

I also have a humax 800t and an x-box to factor into the occasion.

My TV has a number of scarts only one of which accepts RGB, the others s-video only.

I wish to connect the DVD recorder by component and understand that a sky box can be connected to the recorder and output through component.

Will i be able to connect the HUmax in the same way to the recorder (ie through its RGB scart input).

Also will i need to connect a scart from the humax to the TV or will the component output through the recorder do the trick to see the freeview picture.

What about the sound of the humax however. Currently i own a creative 5700 DTS system which has my current DVD player connected to it through its digital input (sound only).

Therefore the only way i get sound from my DVD player is through the Creative system when it it switched on.

With the new set up however can i get the sound of the humax routed through the recorder out of the TV speakers - if so, how - ie. do i connect the humax by scart or do i use the recorder with a scart. If i do need to connect by scart to the TV does it matter which scart input i use as i really want to keep the RGB input available for the X -box.

I hope this makes some sense.

one other question which DVD media (ie make and product) should i purchase and where is the cheapest place to get the media. i want to but a few ram disks togther with some RW disks and write only disks.

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The Tosh 32 has RGB in on one scart and RGB out on the other, however if u enable RGB output on the Tosh, it turns off component.

is your humax passing thru 5.1 sound via sky?
    if not just use the stereo speakers on the TV via scart

I use datawrite 8x greys from SVP

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do you still want to connect your old Tosh 330 via component

the xs32 is a better dvd player than the 330.

You can burn -r overnight or whilst you are at work. Personally I would either sell the 330 or locate to another room

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok this is what I would do

Xbox -> Sky VCR scart

Sky TV scart to Humax RGB in (?)

Humax RGB out to XS32 AV2 (RGB In)

XS32 AV1 (RGB out) to AV1 (RGB) Scart on RPTV

XS32 Component out to Component in on RPTV

You may be wondering why you need two connections to the RPTV. The reason is that the RGB pass through will not pass through via the component leads.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Agree with Bobbles setup - although I would be tempted to have the RDXS32 on all the time hence avoiding the need for the AV1 > TV Scart connection - but that is your choice. If your Creative setup only has one digital input then the benefit of this is you can then hook the Digital Audio out of the RDXS32 to your Creative Amp and have Sky/Humax and DVD piped to your Amp (although only the Tosh would have digital audio). I suppose it depends on how many Sky movies or DVDs you watch (or if your Creative has other connections).

I'd hold off on buying DVD-RAMs at present - you'll only use them for extra HDD storage or a temporary medium for storage whilst you format your HDD (or fro transferring to the PC). If you foresee yourself using DVD-RW (i.e. if you want to watch a few recordings on an upstairs DVD player) then look at the TDK Scratchproof disks. For DVD-R media I suggest sticking to branded media: Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, TDK, Verbatim, Maxell, HP, Packard Bell etc

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my xs32 is on all the time too

I could be wrong and I can not be arsed to check but I thought the RGB loop through only works on the AV1 RGB scart connection, hence the need for the AV1 scart.

As I say I could be wrong.

I only ever use that connection if I am burning a disc and do not want to watch a minute of the menus.

SAT Moni only works on the AV1 scart too

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    No your right - but if your unit is on it is converting it's input into Component and outputting it through that - hence no need for Scart loopthrough. But I suppose it depends how and in what circumstances you will be using your machines.

9. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, however i think i may have caused some confusion regarding my set up. I don't actually have a sky box simply a humax freeview box (8000T).

I want to know whether i can connect my x-box in this new set up with a connection better than the current s-video connection.

ie if i have to connect the recorder to the TV through the TV's RGB connection togther with component that does not leave me with a spare RGB input on the TV.

If the recorder is left on does that mean i do not have to connect the recorder through RGB to the TV- however if the signal will pass through component that takes care of the pictre but what about the audio, will that pass through the audio output directly to my Creative 5700 system as curently the audio of my DVD player does.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    As per Bobbles but omitting Sky, seeing as you don't have it.

You should set the scart output of the XS32 to either Composite or S-Video. Selecting RGB will cancel the Component output so you don't want ot be doing that.

Assuming your Humax allows RGB passthrough, then you can leave the XS32 switched off. When you switch on your X-box, select Sat-Mon on your XS32 remote. This will allow RGB passthrough on your Toshiba whilst in standy state. However, if you switch on the Toshiba then all you will get is the output you had selected ie Composite or S-Vid and NOT RGB.

You have to do it this way or you will forgoe Component and PS capabilities otherwise.

11. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the assistance everyone

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point about setting it to S-VHS or Composite I had forgot about that

except it doesn't matter if it is switched on or off when in SAT Moni it will output the RGB signal.