All of equipment worked around the amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gadjet, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Someone mentioned that it would be good to send all signals from sat,dvd,tv and vcr to the amp(AX10) and have it has the "heart" of the system. That you control what you have on from their. Would this weaken the picture quality from not going for example dvd-scart to tv or make no difference?.
    Hope you can understand what I mean.
    Phill

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the amp, the TV, etc etc.
    I would say in most cases you probably wouldn't notice any slight degradtion in picture quality, but you'll never really know until you try it.

However, someone posted on here recently that they were having all sorts of funny interference from their AX10 when doing this - may be a faulty unit, or it may be an inherent design issue - I really don't know. Do a search on AX10 and have a read.

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wanted to use my AX10 as a hub for video switching, however for some strange reason, when I connect my speakers they introduce interference into the amplifier that manifests itself as diagonal 'herring-bone' pattern on any pciture being sent through.

I now find myself unable to find the source of the interference and considering my direct connection options (when the amp should be able to do my switching!!)

I don't think the AX10 is faulty, as I've tried some other amplifiers and speakers and they all act the same ... must be the room!!!

You'll also find that the AX10 can 'upgrade' video signals from composite and svideo to component.... which is nice.

Wonder how many other people here use their av amp as a switching hub or is the favoured technique to go direct?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Presumably you are using the RGB outputs of the DVD player and Digibox. Amps can't handle an RGB signal which is one reason why I always go direct from source to TV.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there no amps that take rgb sources then? I'm looking at buying an amp at the mo and I find this ridiculous as it's the signal format most of us use.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Amps are primarily designed for the much bigger American market which doesn't use RGB.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were made modular like a PC and you could buy the parts that you needed / wanted.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's plain silly, I mean why include so many composite connections, who's going to hook up their dvd player using a composite connection? Compo kills my Gamecube picture.

Tag are modular aren't they? Not that their products are in my price bracket.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It's an economic fact of life. They are built for the American market who connect up with S-video and Component.

The Americans have greater need of video switching as they don't have scart with it's inbuilt switching and therefore have greater need to use the video switching capabilities of the AV amp.

We will always be the poor cousins economically and as I don't use video switching at all on my amp I would prefer to buy one without these facilities.

As to why they include so many composite connections - who knows