All new setup. No punch.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rokarion, Dec 14, 2016.

1. rokarion

rokarion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello. Brand new to the forum. Yesterday I replaced my old hk htib with a brand new Yamaha 7810 and a set of used psb speakers . Image t55 tower fronts. Alpha b1 surrounds and a matching large center channel. (Can't remember the model at work). Currently using the hk 200 watt 10 inch sub from the htib.
    I did the setup and the ypao equalization and everything sounds very clear and dialogue is (finally) discernible at low volume. Just missing the punch. I may have overestimated the strength of my speaker setup but I was expecting more low end.
    I have the front and center speakers set to large and I have the towers biamped. I realize that a decent sub would be the best way to get better low end but I also thought that the towers would do a little. They are rated to 36 hz. Sounds like doors slamming, gun shots, and even the male voice are all a little underwhelming.
    I tried manually eq'ing it but that made everything muddy. My question is, is this setup capable of decent, crisp mid bass in a small/medium 14x13 room? I only started setting it up last night and haven't even tried music yet. I am not experienced with av but I am a musician and can hear when things are out of balance. Is there anything simple I may be overlooking? I was expecting to be a little more blown away based on the reviews of all the equipment I'm using. Also my current receiver is 110W perchannel (plus fronts biamped) compared to the hk's 30W per channel not biamped and it doesn't sound much bigger. Ty for reading/tips.

2. aim-n-shoot

aim-n-shoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi mate u might want to set the speakers to small. As far as I know large is mainly used for speakers with built in sub. Most speaks including floorstanders need to be set to small. I know ur set go down to 36hz. But in reality you may want to move it to 60 or 50. For example my speakers can produce sound dwn to 40 hz but I have them set to 70hz.

So you may want to check the cross over settings to ensure LF frequency are being handled by the sub not the speakers. Typically is the general 80 preferred but you may want to play with it. Finally you may want to increase the gain on the subject.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,253
    Follow the above advice.

You can then try music on stereo plus sub, ie, 2.1, or go for pure direct 2.0, which will by-pass the bass management, taking the towers back to large and see which you prefer. I'm not a lover of deep bass (old fart) so I run my KEF R300s in pure direct for CD music, they have enough bass for me. For films and TV I use 5.1.2 with all speakers at small and the front three crossed at 80.

4. rokarion

rokarion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips. I didn't have much time today but I turned the extra bass on and it sounds great. I tried some music before adjusting the bass and it was fantastic. Reggae, combo jazz, and electric music were so crisp and detailed I grinned the whole time. Heavy rock guitars and orchestral strings left something to be desired. Maybe with the extra bass on the guitars will feel more powerful. I will try the above suggestions tomorrow and see if the sound can be improved anymore.

5. aim-n-shoot

aim-n-shoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Gr8 let's us know how it goes. It's always a case that we have to tweak our systems to get the best out of them.