All new AVForums Games Reviews now live

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Bookmark www.avforums.com/gaming for our new gaming reviews site.
We've known for years that gaming is a hugely important element of home entertainment. A significant number of people buy AV equipment (TVs, projectors, amplifiers, speaker systems) for gaming as well as for movies and TV. Many people spend more time playing games than watching TV and revenue wise, the gaming industry can be considered on a par with the movie industry.
Our movie review database has been growing for years, and our relatively new gaming reviews have needed their own dedicated area on AVforums for some time.

So today I'm delighted to announce the launch of AVForums Gaming Reviews.
Sculpted by our fine gaming review team, designed by Critical Media (chosen by us to redesign the rest of AVForums) and coded by Sugar Coding Ltd., I hope you'll be a regular visitor.

As with all our other editorial content, we will put every effort into making our reviews the most informative and entertaining on the 'net.

Our gaming reviews site features
  • Searching for game reviews by keyword in the title, score, platform and genre
  • Quick lists of reviews coming soon, top rated, out now and most popular
  • Plenty of images
  • User scores (available to members only) showing the average of the user scores
  • Your comments from the forums
We are finalising the details of a new arrangement with a gaming retailer to sponsor reviews, with the immediate goal of several new game reviews each week. This should keep our review team busy and we'll make an announcement about that soon.

If any of our members would like to submit reviews to be part of the database, then send us a message telling us the game you want to review and we'll reply telling you where to email it. You'll need to write a review in the same format as those in our reviews database in a Word document, with accompanying high resolution packshot and screenshots.

I'm pleased with the new gaming site and I aim to apply the same new design and functionality to our movies and hardware review sites in the near future.

Simba

Distinguished Member
sounds great!

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Link works for me. Its basically the games review forum given a nice front end. Hopefully more frequent reviews in future as promised. I'd like to see some PS Vita game reviews quickly as there isnt any as yet.

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Link works for me. Its basically the games review forum given a nice front end. Hopefully more frequent reviews in future as promised. I'd like to see some PS Vita game reviews quickly as there isnt any as yet.
There's an invitation above if you're interested in writing reviews. How about submitting your own PS Vita game reviews?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Might that now mean someone proof reads them or at least presses the spell check button in their favourite word-processing application?

Also, how are the stars worked out? Ben's Doom review gave the graphics 2 stars and Stephen gave Test Drive Unlimited 2 the same score for graphics, does that mean they're comparable or what? Then how is the overall one done as it doesn't appear to be an average? E.g. the average for the TDU2 review is 2.8 but it gets a 2, the average for the Smash 'n' Survive review is 1.6 yet it gets a 1. Just as it looks like we've got a pattern of always rounding down, we end up with a total of 4/5 for the Stealth Bastard review when the average is 3.8.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
There's an invitation above if you're interested in writing reviews. How about submitting your own PS Vita game reviews?
I did notice that but thank you for highlighting. I love writing film reviews from preview screenings but I am not so quick on the ball getting the latest games. I'm playing Golden Abyss presently so I shall press on with completing it and submit a review for the team's consideration. One gripe, your current team of game reviewers set an annoyingly very high standard in quality for us aim for, sheesh ;)

kevcampbell

Banned
i am a gaming addict so i am all for gaming, but is game reviews by AudioVisualForums a bit like having printer reviews? haha

with that said, i am not against it and hope it turns out well and hope it can become a good place to visit for 360 game reviews

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
i am a gaming addict so i am all for gaming, but is game reviews by AudioVisualForums a bit like having printer reviews? haha
Our recent research has shown that AV fans are also big gaming fans and of course it is an AV subject. See the results of our research here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/avfo...-gaming-stats-january-2012-press-release.html

We hope you do find it a useful resource that builds on the other content that has proven to be popular like the Blu-ray and Hardware reviews, videos and podcasts. Feel free to leave us feedback at any time with what you would like to see.