1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"all mp3" downloads

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tonycb6, Aug 2, 2005.

1. tonycb6

tonycb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi, does anyone have any idea why ,then i download from "all mp3" and try to burn on to a cd ,the playback is very distorted playing on my arcam alpha plus cd player? playback on any other player ie the car and van players are ok.
    i assume the player is not exaclly at fault but perhaps its missing the abillity to reconise the format of music.also if i was to "back up"an original cd it plays fine!
    any ideas anyone?

btw i am using windows media player 10 and download in wma format
    cheers tony

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    What bitrate? Remember, a CD backup is 1:1 on the bits that comprises each song. WMA recompiled back into proper 16-bit/44.1 kHz is going to sound worse than the original CD, for obvious reasons. What's missing has to be added, and it's added at a best guess rate - so it's not exactly guessing correctly, by comparison to the original.

The lower quality of the car/van playback chain is masking the distortions more than likely. The Arcam is showing it as warts and all, unless the signal level is overloading the DACs on it.
    Try converting a CD you have into WMA, then re-converting it to CD format, and see if the same issue appears.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Agreed, a lot of the better CD players play the CD exactly as it is and that would show up the low bitrate of the original recording.