1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All MJ Acoustics Pro-50 owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mustang, May 9, 2002.

1. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my MJ Acoustics Pro-50 for a few weeks now and I'm still experimenting with the setup. Could anyone please explain what the phase dial does, at the moment it is at half-way, the manual doesn't explain this feature very well :confused:

Would be grateful for any advice :)

mustang.

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With the phase setting, you can set if the woofer goes outward with a positive signal from your amplifier (0 degrees) or inward (180 degrees) and any setting in between. With this setting, you can fine tune the sub to have it's woofer move outward at exactly the same time as the other speakers, bearing in mind that the time alignment of the sub and other speakers has to be set up correctly as well.

When this has not been set properly, the woofer of the sub might travel in the opposite direction in respect to the other woofers in your system, which may cause dips in the total bass response.

A good tip to set this phase dial at the correct setting, is by playing a frequency from a test disk at about the crossover frequency of the sub channel in your amplifier and reverse the + and - on your speaker (NOT your sub). Turn the dial until the test tone is at its lowest level. Now, plug in the + and - on your speakers again correctly and you will have the best setting.