All in proporition

B

BLUE-DUSK

Situation -

You`re watchin a 4x3 movie or series on your 16x9 screen.

Which format do you select?

4x3 and use a small portion of your screen?

16x9 and watch fattys?

or smart with distorted top and bottom?

other?

:rolleyes:

I usually leave my tv on 'autoswitch' and watch everything in its correct aspect ratio. ;)

i have watched entire films and never noticed that they are all strangely broad.....

i guess im not observanbt like that!

ad

Smart.... does that make me a bad person?

actually I think it's a brilliant feature, most of the picture appears to be in the correct aspect ratio (almost) and you only lose the edges of the picture, which for TV is fine by me. DVDs are another matter altogether... always in the correct aspect.

I actually leave it in 16:9 mode as I have simply got used to it even if it's not the "proper thing to do". I don't have to wear my glasses then ;)

'Smart' is OK until there's some horizontal panning and then it looks horrible. I usually go for the 14:9 compromise (AR maintained & picture cropped).

Originally posted by Lex
I usually leave my tv on 'autoswitch' and watch everything in its correct aspect ratio. ;)
I do the same with my 4X3 TV - the SCART from my dvd/digibox switches everything to the correct aspect ratio for me. I imagine I'd do the same if I had a 16X9 TV.

Cheers,
Liam

I leave the TV on auto select and let it choose what aspect I watch it in.

But I have been known to change it to 16x9 if it is something that I deem worth watching in 16x9

Originally posted by BLUE-DUSK
smart
You have a Sony don't you ;) I use Smart for 4:3 material (what little of it I have).

Originally posted by Shoka
I leave the TV on auto select and let it choose what aspect I watch it in.

But I have been known to change it to 16x9 if it is something that I deem worth watching in 16x9
How can you deem something worth watching in 16:9?? :confused: Only anamorphic material is to be watched in 16:9 and is not to be watched in any other aspect ratio (and your TV would autoswitch to it anyway).

What about using "Zoom" for 4:3 stuff.

This way you get to miss who the person is on the news because the caption bit has fallen off the bottom of the TV.

(This is the thing the missus does all the time as she insists on using all the screen, but won't have it on "fat" setting :rolleyes:)

Cheers

Ian

4:3 everytime.

I'm surprised at the number of replies who watch it the 'incorrect modes', Smart, wide & zoom.

I've grew up with 4:3 TV over the past 30 odd years and got used to it, so I don't feel the sudden urge to watch it distorted or cropped!

I also can't believe the number of people who are apparantly passionate about home cinema, and yet are happy watching their tellys in anything other than pure 4:3.... bizarre. Not really an issue for me as I don't come into contact with widescreen tellys on a day to day basis, but when i do its gotta be 4:3... makes you appreciate widescreen material all the more ;)

For me, 4:3 material is always watched in.....4:3:eek:

I didn't spend £**** on a screen with 100% perfect geometry so I could then fudge it up with just mode/smart, whatever...

I hope no-one who uses these nasty stretch modes has ever complained about poor picture quality on a dvd. No matter how badly a dvd is authored, I've yet to see one so bad that things/people change shape (get fatter) as they move off-screen:confused:

Originally posted by lechacal
'Smart' is OK until there's some horizontal panning and then it looks horrible. I usually go for the 14:9 compromise (AR maintained & picture cropped).
Ditto. Some programs are made in this format so in-fact can be the correct format at times.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
You have a Sony don't you ;) I use Smart for 4:3 material (what little of it I have)

Hey, you got me! ;) Yeah I got a 32FS20 :clown:

Calm down you bunch of hi-fi zealots!:D Yes the correct aspect ratio is important for DVD (pretty much the sole reason I have spent nearly £3,000 on a set-up this year) but I really couldn't give a monkey's if I watch Jamie's Kitchen or Alan Partridge or Celebrity Big Brother in the correct aspect ratio...
TV programming really isn't that important neither are films on TV for that matter... TV is not a decent enough source to care about, if it's not channel logos screwing things up it's ad breaks or interruptions for the news at bloody ten.

someone said that they haven't spent thousands on a screen with perfect geometry (do they exist?) to distort the picture, well I didn't buy a widescreen telly to watch a tiny square picture in the middle. As I have got more and more in to this home cinema thing this is one oppinion that no-one has been able to change. I really don't think TV is important enough to worry whether its in the correct aspect ratio or not.

Originally posted by James45

someone said that they haven't spent thousands on a screen with perfect geometry (do they exist?) to distort the picture

Er, that was me; they're called plasma display panels.

I actually agree with you with regard to TV (only have analogue terrestrial & watch about 2 programmes a week at most so coldn't care less), but this post starts off "you're watching a 4:3 movie..."

If I am watching a 4:3 programme, I still don't find the need to 'fill the screen' for the sake of it though.

Originally posted by Nike
Er, that was me; they're called plasma display panels.
I watch quite a few 4:3 DVDs on my computer's LCD display. As you say, perfect geometry and at 17" it's big enough when placed fairly close :)

i got a widescreen tv so i could watch everything properly, that means 16x9 in 16x9 and 4x3 in 4x3. it's still bigger than my old square telly, and anamorphic dvds give their full benefit. what i hate is non-anamorphic widescreen. grrrrrr...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom