1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All in ones..Any good??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy76, Oct 3, 2001.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is the right 'section'!
    Having originally been considering a full blown 'seperates' system (see post under general hardware) I am now getting very tempted by some of the All in One 'lifestyle' systems ie SOny DAV series and the recently reviewed JVC TH-A9R.
    Mainly due to aesthetic reasons.
    A couple of questions then:
    How do they really fair against a 'budget' seperates system (say £800 MAX for amp and centre/rears)
    Are they more a matter of form over function?

And where can I buy them!! Looked in the obvious Currys etc but they seem to only have the previous generation models. My local Hi Fi shop won't touch this sort of thing.
    I only intend using the system with 1 DVD player and I have a 24inch widescreen (unlikely to change for a while!).

Any thoughts/ comments would be appreciated.

Andrew

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Some all-in-ones can are good. Most notably Linn's new AV Classik (£2k, without speakers), and Denon's AVD(?)-700, which comes with the Mission NXT speakers for £1.2k.

Not really worth looking at the rest when you compare them to these 2.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The all in one solutions under £500 all seem to suffer poor connectivity options, lack of an upgrade path and you run the risk of loosing the whole lot if one part goes faulty.

You can get cheap seperates which would do all the same as an all-in-one with more connection options and no important features left out.

There are a couple of threads on this subject running already which you may wish to read

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Check out the Yamaha Home Cinema In A Box system which is a standard Yamaha amp with the NSP-210 speakers and perhaps match with the Yammy DVD player.

Not as aesthetically pleasing (and only available in black) but much better performance and upgradeable.

You can buy the whole package for under £650 on the net.

Regards

Ian

5. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    I think your comments summed up my own thoughts.
    That either:
    a)'Lifestyle' systems are horrendously expensive (Linn £2k!!) OR
    b) not very good!

Think I will stick with my original idea of a full seperates system. It's only me that needs to look at it anyway :)

Andrew