All in One with progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by FredFox, Jan 4, 2004.

1. FredFox

FredFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at getting an all-in-one prog scan system and have pretty much decided on the Jamo DVR50 with either 305 or 325 speakers?

Ive seen plenty of reviews of the box with 305 speakers but none with the 325 set-up. Has anyone heared any reviews or even better, have 325's and can advise if they are as good, better or worse thans the 305's? Size and looks aside I think my room would support either. I will be using the system for CD Audio and DVD movies.

Cheers

2. cucumber

cucumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really answer your question but I am definately interested in the answer since I've been having the same dilema.

Out of interest why have you decided to go for the Jamo all in one system instead of separates (may help me make my decision) and where do you plan buying the Jamo unit from (best price and all that?)

Thanks (and good luck with the post)

3. FredFox

FredFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main reason for an all-in-one is that I'm trying to declutter the living room and the 2 ft high tower of black boxes is being relegated to upstairs. Also I now have a flat panel which I will wall mount so don't need or want a large ugly AV unit sitting below it. I do have a seperate HiFi at the other end of the room for serious music but the Jamo looks good enough for general listening and radio 5!

4. FredFox

FredFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS AV-Sales seem to be selling DVR50 and 235 speakers for£ 579 inc delivery. None of the shops in my area seem to stock Jamo so the internet seems the best option. Unbeatable offer the 305 package for £480.

5. ebarbour

ebarbour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered the DVR50 and 325 speakers - should arrive next week.

I went to the shop for a demo - original plan was to go for the 305s but noticed the 325s outside the demo room so asked for a demo of them also. When I heard the difference between the 305s and the 325s - both myself and - more importantly - the wife changed our minds instantly.

The depth in sound quality - was incredible (course this could have been the salesman setting up the more expensive speakers better - but I doubt it) - it was really noticable when playing a CD via the player. The Matrix Reloaded fight scene decided it for us (during the 305 demo - the wife turned and said - what so good about this - during the 325 demo - she just turned and smiled).

Ain't the sort of person to give you facts and figures - but if yer interested in the opinion of Joe Normal - go for the 325s - hope this helps!

6. FredFox

FredFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it happens i went for the 325 eventually and for the most part am very happy with it.

One niggle is that after playing certain mp3 files it will then play CD's at half speed until I reboot the thing. Other than that, not problems at all amd much better then the old kenwood prologic kit that it replaced.

The only other little niggle is if you use progressive scan and component cables you need to change the scan options if you play US region disks as it doesn't do the PAL/NTSC switch for you. I don't have any R1 disks but borrowed one to check the multiregion stuff works..it does.

7. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are the 325 speakers (satelites) much bigger than the 305's which are tiny.