All in One with dts decoder for optical in ?

SGH42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got a HD-E1 & have connected this to my Panasonic SCht855 via optical & found that the panny does not decode to play 5.1 via optical ! Is there any good systems that will enable me to have 5.1 via optical ?

Thanks
Steve

Really ? Neither the Super Sound feature or any of the Dolby settings give you 5.1 from optical in?

The manual makes it look like it should.

I would be really interested if this was the case because i was an inch away from buying this set!!!

Rob

The Dolby Pro Logic II does convert the input from optical to 5.1 but the this is a 'simulation' because only 2 channels of sound are going in.

Steve

Well if your right thats a rip

I downloaded the manual and it says

"Optical-In for 5.1 ch surround
This unit can decode the surround
signal from the set top box."

So if it doesnt thats very misleading.

Rob

Well if your right thats a rip

I downloaded the manual and it says

"Optical-In for 5.1 ch surround
This unit can decode the surround
signal from the set top box."

So if it doesnt thats very misleading.

Rob

Anyone else shed any light on this one? Just bought the 855 myself- a cracking piece of kit with DVD but unlike the sony DAVS550 i have just replaced it doesn't offer DPL through the TV, only stereo through the two front speakers or enhanced effect through 4 speakers which is a poor substitute. It will do DPL through DV- in but this requires an optical link through the satellite box. As i only have ordinary sky box i upgraded today to sky+ in the hope that i will get DPL from normal tv stations but also was led to believe that I will be able to get 5.1 ch surround from programmes which are transmitted in this format.So will the upgrade to sky + not give me the anticipated benefits?:confused:

Just got a HD-E1 & have connected this to my Panasonic SCht855 via optical & found that the panny does not decode to play 5.1 via optical ! Is there any good systems that will enable me to have 5.1 via optical ?

Thanks
Steve

Bump

It will decode DD not DTS using the optical input, and no I didn't realise that when I bought it, it's got a DTS decoder in it after all!

Hi,

Just to be clear here (as I've just recommended this set to my mum):

A Dolby Digital 5.1 signal inputted via optical lead from Sky+ / Sky HD will output in true Dolby Digital 5.1?

Many thanks!

Yes that's correct. Apart from the lack of DTS decoding over optical it's a bloody fantastic system so if external DTS decoding isn't an issue then it's highly recommended

Hi,

Just to be clear here (as I've just recommended this set to my mum):

A Dolby Digital 5.1 signal inputted via optical lead from Sky+ / Sky HD will output in true Dolby Digital 5.1?

Many thanks!

zAndy1 is correct on all counts !

Steve

I'm waiting for Empire Direct to call me back as I'm going to try and swap mine for a different one that does DTS. What's in my favour is that there also seems to be a problem with the component output on mine whereby the picture keeps disappearing so I could return it as faulty, no point swapping it for another one though if it doesn't do DTS. Might be a cheap one on the classified forum soon, if you can use the HDMI output and aren't bothered about DTS it might be worth considering (would probably sell for £170 odd)

Cheers
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom