All in one unit.

Reaction score
Hi all,

This may not be the best forum for this question but....here it goes :thumbsup:.

I currently have an XBox 360, PS3, wii and ps2 connected to my TV which does the audio output thru inbuilt speaker. My TV doesnt have a Headphone socket, which i really need. What i was hoping to find is a really cheap unit that can take audio via Optical and Phono and has a headphone socket.

Any recommendations welcome :):lease:

I use logitech z5450 review on trustedreviews

It has 2 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 x 5.1 analog / 3 stereo analog inputs.
I have in past used it with sky plus and xbox 360, currently only using it with xbox 360. The rear speakers are wireless (still need to be powered though)

you can buy wired ones cheaper though.:thumbsup:

there is also a pioneer speaker kit for similar purpose.. more on it here or you can do a google search

I use logitech z5450 review on trustedreviews

It has 2 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 x 5.1 analog / 3 stereo analog inputs.
I have in past used it with sky plus and xbox 360, currently only using it with xbox 360. The rear speakers are wireless (still need to be powered though)

you can buy wired ones cheaper though.:thumbsup:

there is also a pioneer speaker kit for similar purpose.. more on it here or you can do a google search

thanks for the quick response,

the Pioneer one doesnt look like it has a Headphone socket on it?

*edit - on closer inspection, i can see a headphone socket on the logitech z5450 either :)

thanks for the quick response,

the Pioneer one doesnt look like it has a Headphone socket on it?

*edit - on closer inspection, i can see a headphone socket on the logitech z5450 either :)

My logitech z5300 does have a headphone jack, so it would surprise me a lot if the z5450 doesn't.

just looked on Richer Sounds website, would a Yamaha RXV361 do what i need?

My logitech z5300 does have a headphone jack, so it would surprise me a lot if the z5450 doesn't.

ah ok,

was just looking at images on THIS page and they dont show any headphone sockets, apart from what apear to be some kind of PC input?

well it shows 3 stereo input which is for analog 5,1

the 5.1 is option and can be used as 3 x Stereo input so your headphone input is fine

from trusted reviews site - Page 2 (below sub woofer pic)
There are also three analogue 3.5mm inputs. A switch on the rear enables this to be configured as three separate stereo inputs or as a single 6-channel direct input from a PC sound card.

ah ok,

was just looking at images on THIS page and they dont show any headphone sockets, apart from what apear to be some kind of PC input?

Apparently it is located on the side. At least that's what I gathered from skimming google :)

well it shows 3 stereo input which is for analog 5,1

the 5.1 is option and can be used as 3 x Stereo input so your headphone input is fine

from trusted reviews site - Page 2 (below sub woofer pic)
There are also three analogue 3.5mm inputs. A switch on the rear enables this to be configured as three separate stereo inputs or as a single 6-channel direct input from a PC sound card.

many thanks for all your help

not to worry mate... i have this speakers and they are good for the purpose... i am not a massive audiophile and do not like to spend hundreds and hundreds on kit :) i would rather have a nice value for money kit which logitech definitely is

also from the review:
Thanks to rear speakers that only require power and receive their signal wirelessly Logitech has produced a set of surround sound speakers that have a vastly increased chance of gaining the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

This was a deal maker in my case.. wife would have veto'd the plans if there were too many wires going around

not to worry mate... i have this speakers and they are good for the purpose... i am not a massive audiophile and do not like to spend hundreds and hundreds on kit :) i would rather have a nice value for money kit which logitech definitely is

also from the review:
Thanks to rear speakers that only require power and receive their signal wirelessly Logitech has produced a set of surround sound speakers that have a vastly increased chance of gaining the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

This was a deal maker in my case.. wife would have veto'd the plans if there were too many wires going around

excellent :)
just got to convince the g/f now :suicide:

The Z5400/5450 (- the latter being exactly the same apart from the wireless rear surround speakers) both have headphone sockets - it's on the left hand side (a 3.5mm output socket). Otherwise perhaps you could consider second hand as a way of keeping the cost down. Connections on the back are the two optical digital inputs, one coaxial plus a multi option connection that can either be used for separate stereo sources or grouped together for multi-channel analogue input (from a PC sound card for example).

The Yamaha RXV361 ought to work, although without surround speakers connected it's going to give you errors - it might be necessary to set it up in two channel mode within the basic amp setup with a budget pair of stereo speakers.

Robert

The Z5400/5450 (- the latter being exactly the same apart from the wireless rear surround speakers) both have headphone sockets - it's on the left hand side (a 3.5mm output socket). Otherwise perhaps you could consider second hand as a way of keeping the cost down. Connections on the back are the two optical digital inputs, one coaxial plus a multi option connection that can either be used for separate stereo sources or grouped together for multi-channel analogue input (from a PC sound card for example).

The Yamaha RXV361 ought to work, although without surround speakers connected it's going to give you errors - it might be necessary to set it up in two channel mode within the basic amp setup with a budget pair of stereo speakers.

Robert

Excellent, thanks, i'd seen the Yamaha and a Sony STR-DE400 at Richer sounds, both quiet cheap, only issue then i could see with the Logitech one could be that it needs to have an xbox, wii, ps2 and ps3 connected and it doesnt look like it'd hae enough connections

Excellent, thanks, i'd seen the Yamaha and a Sony STR-DE400 at Richer sounds, both quiet cheap, only issue then i could see with the Logitech one could be that it needs to have an xbox, wii, ps2 and ps3 connected and it doesnt look like it'd hae enough connections

Yeah with that many inputs you may be better off geting a budget seperates system as Robert said. Second hand is a good option. Have a look in the classifieds and auction sites, see if you can get a good deal on an amp and speakers. You'll more than likely get better sound per pound that way :smashin:

just looked on Richer Sounds website, would a Yamaha RXV361 do what i need?

Yes it would do the job just fine. The RXV361 as 2 optical inputs, 1 co-axial input and analogue/component inputs for just about everything, plus an headphone socket.

I've got my TV, 360 and BDP-S300 hooked up to mine and i'm perfectly happy with it because for the price it's a great buy.

Pixmania have some decent 'speaker and amp packages' that are similar to a seperates system but sold together. The Sony HH-DDW890 would suit your needs and provides a HDMI switcher, useful if you have limited inputs on your T.V.

A budget would help me and others to give a better opinion :rolleyes:

There are ways around the lack of connections though - for example, if you need extra optical digital connections you can add an optical switch like this (- the link just there to give you an example as it can probably be found cheaper on e-bay or on other sites). Unless I've miscounted, it sounds like you'd need 3 optical plus a 'stereo' input for the Wii (- Dolby Prologic for surround sound) with the latter via an adapter to take you from twin phono to 3.5mm if necessary (as in the case of the Logitech Z5400/5450). So rather than going with a switcher, you could also convert the coaxial input which would otherwise remain unused I think. Again, these can be found at the likes of Maplin.

Robert

big thanks to all, i have more than enough here to go off for what i need, and with my budget, i've limited myself at £200 so will plan it out and chose accordingly

thanks again :rotfl:

big thanks to all, i have more than enough here to go off for what i need, and with my budget, i've limited myself at £200 so will plan it out and chose accordingly

thanks again :rotfl:

Your welcome. Let us know what you go for and if you manage to stick to your budget :smashin:

OK, done already (i hope)

i settled on this amp and these speakers. hope it all works together :-D

it should be ok, and to be honest i really only got it all for headphone socket :eek:

was going to try to just get a headphone amp, but couldnt find one for home users

OK, done already (i hope)

i settled on this amp and these speakers. hope it all works together :-D

it should be ok, and to be honest i really only got it all for headphone socket :eek:

was going to try to just get a headphone amp, but couldnt find one for home users

I wish I'd been as decisive when I was chosing my set-up! I've been looking since xmas and got my amp yesterday :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom