1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

all in one system?? which is the best??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by daviedee, Oct 9, 2003.

1. daviedee

daviedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was considering gwttint the sony davs888, but after reading some of the posts i am in two minds. can anyone suggest a good system??
    im looking for stand up speakers like the davs 888 or panasonic 900.
    2 min of ur time would be grateful. last thing i want to do is spend the money on this to find its rubbish

cheers

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Most ppl here will advise you go the seperates route. You tend to be able to get better performance for your money for a similar priced seperates system. All in one systems do not offer any upgrade path either and you have to start from scratch if you wish to make improvements later down the line. With seperates you can upgrade as you go replacing bits as and when funds permit.
    All in one systems can do the job well and look good but it's been my experiance that once you get the hc bug you'll soon outgrow it and get frustrated with it's limitations.
    If you are dead set on getting a lifestyle system then I recommend you get a short list together and let your ears decide on what system to go for.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Whats your budget and what do you already own???
    And most importantly what do you hope to gain from buying the system???
    Do you have sky or cable or similar???
    Consoles????
    DVD player????
    TV,Plasma or PJ???
    How big is the room do want a good stereo sound e.g. CD or do have a Music system sorted?
    Does SACD or DVD-A interest you???
    Do you record TV???

4. daviedee

daviedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am getting the toshiba 32zd26p for £819 the budget for the rest is about 500 quid. i had thought about getting the seperates but when i had priced up what i wanted it was well out of my reach, so to that affect the all in one will do for 2 years or so untill i have the money for the upgrade to seperates.
    the room is moderate size about 8x8m the sound i am looking for is good all round surrond, i could go the proper way like my bro whose system cost around 8000 quid, but i work for the raf and constantly move around..... :(
    i have an x-box, cable vcr. not connecting the vcr as its never used, the cable and x-box to the tv and then tv sound out to the dvd player.
    sacd?
    the pc is going to be attached to the s-vid of the tv for all the downloaded movies and on-line games.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SACD Super audio CD
    Well an amp at £150ish sopeakers and Sub £300. XBOX for DVD Or £80 for DVD

see what you think of these

DVD http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301209

AMP http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301476

Speakers loads of choice but for a few ideas:
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205418

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206398 and one of these http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301540 or one of these http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205748 so loads of choice all good quality kit!

6. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For an all in one the Panasonic SC-HT900 can't be beaten at around £390 to £430

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the panny 900 is a good unit but I am not convinced you would get a sould as good as £400 seperates system and whole lot harder to upgrade.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'll admit I've not seen one at close up or any reviews but it looks like a system more about looks than sound quality. I know the Panasonic 310 system is great as it has damn fine front speakers and does a great job with DVD audio but this 900 model only plays back dvd audio with reduced bandwidth in fact I wonder if they mean its only playing the compatible track on dvd audio discs thats in a standard 5.1 compressed format. Does it have RGB on its scart socket?

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    bonzobanana,

It does have RGB on the scart, and talking about reviews, I agree that many of the British av mags are not good as they really don't spend much testing them, e.g. What hifi gives 1 paragraph for each product in a multi test, the same for some other mags.

But have a look at the very respectable US mag "The hometheatermagazine" http://www.hometheatermag.com/allinonehometheatersystems/181/

They also did lab tests (imagine if British mags could spend that kind of time!)
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/allinonehometheatersystems/181/index4.html

It couldn't reach 90db, but, it was still enough in a room 18x20feet, and the reviewer was happy with the dvd-a sound.

Wasabi

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Looks pretty good to me. I'm convinced.

11. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hornydragon I don't know if it is. I believe in separates in Hifi (I wouldn't replace my Musical Fidelity/Arcam/Monitor Audio/ Thorens Hi fi system with any lifestyle job (Bang and Olufsen included)) and I imagine the same rule of better performance is true for Home Cinema that is why I only said "all in one" I didn't want to make such claims against separates. However as an overall package with aesthetics (important to the wife), sound quality and flexibility taken into account I'm still not convinced I could have done better with a separates system for the £390 I paid for my multiregion'd 900

P.S DVD Audio sounds fine to me but I concentrate on the multi channel sound element as opposed to absolute fidelity I believe for the vast majority of owners there will be no complaints with the sound of the 900

12. daviedee

daviedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help lads, i was gonna buy at the end of the month :) but ive found out im on an exercise for a month so im gonna have to wait :(

13. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi DavieDee,
    Kind of feel obliged to reply to this thread as you're my brother!
    Listen to the above advice from other like minded enthusiasts. You could avoid an expensive mistake.
    As you know, I favour separates. Not dissing an 'all in one' system, just it's easier to upgrade your AV kit as and when you can afford it.
    What do you mean 'what is SACD'! I'm ashamed of you. Consider yourself disowned...

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    While well chosen seperates are better many people including myself prefer the convenience fo all in one systems. It eliminates a lot of hassle and is space saving and convenient. Not only that but it often looks better. Ultimately of course it may not sound as good but the question of what more money will equal in real performance is a big one. I was previously a hifi salesman and set up many systems for customers to audition. This is going back to the mid to late 80s. My conclusion was (not voiced to customers obviously) that basiclally while more money meant better performance quite humble systems could deliver very good sound and although they didn't match the best systems the difference in quality was minor or small enough that I personally didn't care.

Personally I think for most people an all in one is ideal.

15. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While I agree with most of what you say bonzobanana, I think it's fair to state that the major attraction of this forum is the info on how to improve your AV set-up. In this case - 'better sound for your pound'.
    Yes - an all in one system is space saving, but a separates system with better sound quality does not necessarily cost more. It also allows you to upgrade separate components as and when you can afford it (as per my original reply), as opposed to changing a complete all in one system.
    Lets face it. Most people on these forums are enthusiasts and visit this forum for AV improvement info. Makes it a lot easier with a separates system, doesn't it.
    Don't misunderstand me - All in one systems are fine and are great for entry-level surround. However, they are really aimed at the kind of people who maybe don't have as much of an understanding of AV as most people here on this forum.
    Just my opinion.
    Cam

16. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You can still upgrade speakers on a lot of all in ones. Also its my experience that people rarely match up 2 year old equipment with the latest gear. A typical upgrade would involve replacing the main components; amp, dvd player etc over a short period of time. You can be an av enthusiast without going down the seperates route when it comes to audio. I have a projector based av system but use an all in one for amplfication and consider myself an av enthusiast.

17. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that should I choose to I could quickly become obsessed with chasing the absolute definative system and gain the level of understanding that Cambo mentioned I know ten 13 years ago I started to do so with my hi fi and went through a couple of systems before arriving at my current set up one that I believe would still rate as a mid-range separates system of some ability but I also remember I got to the point where I was more both concerned about the hardware than than the music I which was my original passion.
    So until I a) get divorced
    b) win the lottery
    I will have to stick with my all in one system and my original love for motion pictures, TV shows etc.

18. Soy1

Soy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of warning m8. If you have the 32zd26p with the closed cabinet many of the all in one systems will not fit inside it so check the measurements before you buy an all in one system. I had one of the old sony dav300 systems and i had to give it to my parents as i couldn't close the doors on the tv cabinet shut when it was inside.

19. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello again my 'all in one' friends!
    I see 'blackbull' has joined in this small debacle and so I think it's time for me to agree to disagree. I'll convert you one by one in time:rotfl:
    What is important is that we are all enjoying the benefits of surround sound regardless of its source. It’s quite easy to forget that – Just try watching a film on your TV without surround… It CAN’T be done:D

20. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambo, no need to convert me I am a believer already, money no object and my decision alone I would join up tommorrow. I was just saying that due to my Perfectionist tendencies I daren't start to go down that road at the moment. Much as I love my idea of a fully blown Home Cinema I love my wife and prospective family more... she only relented on the all in one system as I assured that would be that I wouldn't be wanting to upgrade for a while yet (using my Separates Hi fi system as proof as it is 10 years old and I feel no need to replace it as the sound quality is something I am happy with) but she is still suspicous she knows me too well saying "I know you, you are never satisfied!!" I guess thats why I married her!!
    So I beg you let me cling on to my satisfaction with my Panny 900 as the longer I do the less the prospects of an early visit to the divorce courts....sometimes life is about compromises which was the basis of my purchasing and the recommendation of the Panny 900:)

P.S. I agree with your last comment re surround sound in general I can't listen to anything without surround sound anymore.

21. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Bro ‘Daviedee’ should be laughing right now,
    I spent many years travelling to my AV nirvana. In my semi I amassed (with a lot of hard work and saving) my 36" Panny, Yam DSP-A2 Amp and B&W speaker package.
    I then managed to move to a detached house with illusions of blowing the walls down with the volume knob!!! You get the idea, no neighbours to annoy when you crank it up to a good movie.
    At that stage I took the plunge and turned my front room into a home cinema (wisely involving and tiptoeing over my understanding wife as I did so)!
    After using these forums for valuable advice, I settled for a Sony projector and an 8ft screen. After three months of putting the room together I flew over to Liverpool and went out to Sound & Vision in Bolton to purchase my new Mecca, sorry, projector.
    You’ve got to understand at this point – There was an unbelievable amount of work, money, anticipation and licking up to the wife up to get to this stage.
    I bought the PJ on Saturday. Three days later my wife found out she was FIVE months pregnant!!!!!!:eek:
    Oh well, I got four months of bone rattling AV pleasure before I was consigned to headphones….
    So much for my search for perfection! Always something to put the spanner in the works I’m afraid. In hindsight maybe I should have bought an all in one system!!!:suicide:
    One slight ray of light comes from my one year old daughter’s face as she enjoys watching a life size Barney on the odd morning….

Using the above as an example, you may therefore enjoy your satisfaction with your Panny 900 and miss the early visit to the divorce courts:D

Enjoy:smoke:

22. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Attached Files:

23. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one "Sweet Dreams are made of this..."

24. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    Ummm... but in this particular part of the forums, ie: the "AV Hardware : Sources : All-in-One" section, people are looking for All-in-one advice. I'd assume they would go to the "AV Hardware : Audio : Speakers and Subwoofers", or "Hi Fi systems, seperates and other music delivery systems and formats" for advice on seperates. It's like you're trying to sell pork to the muslims...

But as you say, it's more likely that "seperates" people will have more experiance in audio in general due to their extra keenness.

So back on topic with my own questions and answers to Hornydragon:

Whats your budget and what do you already own??? - £2000-3000, but £1200 is going into a Sanyo Z2, so whatevers left after a screen and cables. I own a 28" Sony TV at the mo
    And most importantly what do you hope to gain from buying the system??? Watch movies (DVD) at home, and play the odd PS2 game via the PJ, use the sound system and current TV normally
    Do you have sky or cable or similar??? No
    Consoles???? PS2
    DVD player???? PS2
    TV,Plasma or PJ??? see above
    How big is the room do want a good stereo sound e.g. CD or do have a Music system sorted? room is about 24'(8m?) by 9'(3m) floor space, its a bit larger when fireplaces and stuff are added.
    Does SACD or DVD-A interest you??? I await the disowning, as these terms mean nothing to me either
    Do you record TV??? on a video machine

In general i dont watch much actual TV. Movies and console gaming is all i want out of an All-in-One system. Obviously it has to integrate with the proposed Z2, and it has to be woman compatible - ie not too complex, shes smart but has no patience to learn about electronics. It was enough hassle making her use the PS2 to play DVDs with.

I'd like decent picture quality and surround sound at moderate levels - ie it wont **** off the neighbours.

I've been delving into all the terms AV people use, and looking at about £300-600 systems, so like the Samsung DM150, Pioneer DCS505, Sanyo DAV8501 and so on. Of course that was a few months ago and now things like the Jamo DVR 50/A305PDD are out for about £430 to confuse things - so any advice would be appreciated!

25. samsuka

samsuka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,
    I am following this thread with interest because i am also thinking about an all-in-one or seperates. Out of interest and from the links that hornydragon put up would an all-in-one system like the Sony SAV-S888 http://uk.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/sound/home-cinema-systems/156345/details for £500 compare with making it up myself including the Yamaha HTR5630 receiver http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301476 and Sony SP-SL5 speakers http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301484 and using my existing CD/DVD player??

This comes to £320 + radio but out of interest would it perform as well (in my opinion it almost looks as good)

26. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good point ized.
    Fancy some pork samsuka....

27. daviedee

daviedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help in this thread lads.... im currently re-painting the front room in preperation for me new panasonic scht900 which arrives tomorrow and my new tv tosh 32zd26p which will arrive next week sometime.
    i will let you know how it sounds and looks..... :)
    i will say this about the forums, alot of peeps will say that theirs are the best systems around, granted they may well be all singing and all dancing but for some peeps it dosnt really suit. ive had invaluable advice from all the people who have directly replyed to this thread and from other threads.
    i would highly recommend people to this site....
    i was in comet the other day and was looking at the tvs and other stuff, when i seen a bloke about to buy a davs 888. i couldnt let him go through with it..lol. and gave him the address to this forum to get sound advice....
    ONCE AGAIN CHEERS FOR THE HELP

28. daviedee

daviedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all...

finaly got my wee system sorted. nothing compared to me bro's cambo, but one day....lol
    got my ntl, xbox, panny scht900 and my pc linked up to the tele, dont know if u can see it but av forums on the tele. the pic aint that great as its of my sharp gx20
    ohh and by the way please dont say anything about the position off the speakers, my wife had to have a say in that.... where i would rather throw everything out off the front room apart from the system and one comfy chair..lol.. she didnt go for that one....

Attached Files:

• tv.jpg
      tv.jpg
      Size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    I'm pretty new to all this and went for a Sony Dav S550 basically because it was cheap £273 and I didn't want to go spending a fortune before getting some personal experience. I think personally it's a great dvd player (better than my old Tosh 220E) and the sound is fantastic. I'm now upgrading my old 29"Sony for a new 32fx68U (£643 from WAVDirect)and i'm slowely getting hooked! I've not dabbled in separates yet but considering I've not long upgraded from my old pro logic system, i'm very happy with the sound from the Sony. I guess it's like anything though, there's always better kit out there if you want to pay for it! When i next upgrade I probably will be searching for something better but for now i'm very pleased with the Dav S550.

30. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I went ahead and bought the DAV S550 for my parents for xmas(still sitting in it's box.*struggles*..must..resist...temptation to test!)

I'll post first impressions compared to my own separates setup as soon as I get a chance