Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

All in one system question (Denon DHT-500SD)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by reddux, Apr 18, 2005.

1. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Firstly - I'm looking to buy the Denon DHT-500SD, and wondering if there's anywhere cheaper than Hughes Direct who are offering a Multi-Region system inc. VAT & Del. for £419.99?

Secondly - Can any owners of the above system recommend any speaker stands and roughly how much they will cost, I don't particularly want wires all over the lounge floor so any suggestions how to get around this or make it less of a issue?

Thirdly - I have to use a component connection for my PS2 with my new Samsung 50" DLP :D to get a good picture (AV feed is very poor and unacceptable), I had considered an HDMI dvd player such as Samsung HD945 or Panasonic S97 but after reading reviews and opinions it won't offer any improvement over a good prog. scan component dvd player. So does the Denon DHT-500SD have a component input for my PS2 or is there any dual/switch connectors I could buy to allow me to use either PS2 or DVD player without keep on swapping the connections?

Thanks In Advance

Andy

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Speaker stands and brackets for the Denon DHT500 have been well documented on these forums, try doing a search and you'll find a lot of strands.

Nathan

3. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon 500SD and I bought a couple of "Denon" (manufactured by Arcam I think) speaker stands. Frankly they're a bit disappointing. They are very flimsy. I think I paid about £70 for these stands so I suppose one gets what one pays for. Were I in the market now and trying to buy cheaply I'd go for better quality second hand stands rather than these Denon stands which are reputedly made specifically for the 500 and 550Sd systems.

4. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies

They now have the Denon DHT500 in stock at Hughes Direct but those Denon SS30 speaker stands are £60 (cheapest I could find) I'm not sure now as my budget was really £400 for a all in one set, after forking out £2+k on a TV it looks like the Denon DHT will be nearer £500 with some stands to go with it...

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Maplins do stands for less than half that price. If you do the search Nathanhill69 suggested, there are a number of threads that discuss them.

6. TWOFISH

TWOFISH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just bought the Denon SS30 stands for £46.00 delivered, from Digital Direct. They are quite robust and of good quality.

7. darren0800

darren0800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was Thinking Of Buying The Denon 500sd Myself Can Anyone Offer Performance Advice On This Product Does The High Price Justify The Product

8. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies all, I'm waiting for my maplins surround sound speaker stand to be delivered (£15 for a pair).

My DHT500 was delivered on friday :smashin: I'm very impressed with my first experience of 5.1 sound, but am trying to figure out if I can change the sound delivery as I find myself turning it up past 55 to hear talking most of the time then having to practically keep my finger ready on the VOL DOWN button ready to trigger it whenever a loud moment comes up, so I don't give my dog a heartattack :eek:

I've only used quick setup and will also be buying some component leads as I was a little disappointed to not even get a scart lead with this £400+ system :mad:

Also can anyone suggest a solution that would allow me to view my PS2 via component while still getting 5.1 through the Denon? As I'm currently using the standard AV PS2 input to the Denon to get sound through it (no component input :confused: ) but the picture is crap!

9. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    You can get a PS2 component lead from Play-Asia and, if you don't have enough inputs on your screen for the Denon and the PS2, you can pick up a component switcher from Maplins for £15-20 that'll allow (iirc) 3 devices into one (am assuming your tv has a component in for the Denon).

If you want more ooomph from the speakers at a given volume setting then you can raise the db levels in the setup for given speakers?

ALI

10. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I already have a component connection for my PS2 & now my Denon too, I get a much better picture using it for either but atm the only way to get the PS2 audio through the denon is PS2 -> AV -> Denon -> Scart -> TV & picture is crap compared to direct component feed from PS2 to TV.

Surely there must be another way to connect only the PS2's audio to the Denon without feeding the video through it too, to which the Denon doesn't have a component input :confused:

11. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hmmm, why don't you connect audio leads from your tv into Video1/2 on the Denon then switch to that when running the PS2 (which is connected directly to your tv via component)?

If your tv has a coax or optical digial out then you can utilise this into the Denon or use normal phono leads, this will give you the pq of component and the sound from your PS2 via the Denon.

ALI