All-in-one system for PC

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andee, Aug 31, 2004.

1. andee

andee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to upgrade my PC's sound system, but had been concentrating my Googling on PC-specific speakers (e.g. the Creative Gigaworks S750 or the Logitech Z-680 sets). Today, as I was approaching making a final decision, it dawned on me that a hi-fi system may offer better quality for similar prices. After even more Googling, and reading far too many reviews, I've got a smallish list:

Pioneer NSDV99
    Sony DAVSC5
    Panasonic SCDT310E
    Aiwa AVJX5

I guess what I want to know is:

1. Is it a good idea getting an all-in-one system, or would it be money better spent on a PC-specific set?
    2. Which of those from my list is the best? I'm leaning towards the Pioneer or the Sony, but this is just after an evening with a search engine. Have I missed any other good ones?
    3. How would I best go about connecting my PC to the system? The sound card I'm looking at purchasing is the Audigy 2 ZS, which has line level out (front/side/rear/center/sub) and 6-channel SPDIF digital out for 5.1 support. Any clues? There is also an upgrade which allows for optical SPDIF in/out, but that's another £100 or so which I'd like to avoid if possible.

As you can probably guess, I'm fairly new to all this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!