All-in-one system for casual listening, up to £400 or £500

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I was going to post this in the 'system for a kitchen', but didn't want to hijack it on the poster.

I recently bought and sold a CA Minx Xi and a pair of floorstanders. They sounded great but I simply don't have the room for them, or indeed any speaker separates.
I need a system that is contained in one unit.

Now I appreciate many will say I won't get great sound etc, but unfortunately needs must at this stage. I am basically after a system that I can locate in any room and which will sound decent.
Requirements are:

Plays cds
Internet radio would be great
Ability to play mp3 or flac off USB too

So is there anything out there that will sound decent? I was thinking about maybe a unit like a Ruark R4?
Or would I just be as wise to go with a decent quality smart speaker and a sub to Spotify or Amazon music, which would allow me to forget about the ability to play my CD collection.

Any thoughts welcome.

mseve1

My preference would be to forget about CDs and just go with streaming/internet radio/ USB playback. After all CDs don't really fit in well in a kitchen environment. Whilst a Ruark R3 or R5 would fit the bill you could get better sound quality from a more 'basic' high quality wireless speaker provided that you are happy to use your tablet or smartphone for control. A unit such as the Bluesound Pulse 2i (£649) or the smaller Pulse Mini 2i (£499) would give great sound quality in a compact but easily transportable single unit.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I was going to post this in the 'system for a kitchen', but didn't want to hijack it on the poster.

I recently bought and sold a CA Minx Xi and a pair of floorstanders. They sounded great but I simply don't have the room for them, or indeed any speaker separates.
I need a system that is contained in one unit.

Now I appreciate many will say I won't get great sound etc, but unfortunately needs must at this stage. I am basically after a system that I can locate in any room and which will sound decent.
Requirements are:

Plays cds
Internet radio would be great
Ability to play mp3 or flac off USB too

So is there anything out there that will sound decent? I was thinking about maybe a unit like a Ruark R4?
Or would I just be as wise to go with a decent quality smart speaker and a sub to Spotify or Amazon music, which would allow me to forget about the ability to play my CD collection.

Any thoughts welcome.

I doubt you’d do better than the Ruark for what you require.

And by all accounts they are very good too.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom