1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

all in one (sony) vs seperate

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by planetf1, Sep 27, 2003.

1. planetf1

planetf1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the deal with Sony's DAV systems - ie the ones with the S-Master digital amps, and dvd/radio/amp all in one.

Looking at Sony's specs that state output at -- for example -- 90W pc front/centre/rear & 100W sub, but that's RMS with 10% THD.

Now 10% THD sounds very high. Anyone know the figures at a more realistic 1% or so? Anyone got one of these kits and tell me how it subjectively sounds at the high end?

What about the subs, I note they are passive (mostly) ie powered from the unit.

I also note the power consumption of say the DAV-SC8 is only around 135W - now I know this is a steady figure, and capacitance etc & difference in signals from outputs mean I wouldn't expect 5*90 + 1*100 for a 100% efficient amp, but does this seem low?

Should I look at the DIN measurements instead? Does this get measured at a fixed THD?
    The previous s550 was 80/100 RMS and 60/80 DIN

Looking at the lower end sony seperate surround amps, the STR-DE495 for example is only around 180W, and I suppose is less efficient - but then that's presumably without the sub?

It's still listed as 80*5 DIN (5*115 at 10%) (and SW is 100 DIN for the htddw750)

2. Ebay-Junkie

Ebay-Junkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony HTP3100 (actually a HTDDW750 which has a STR-DE495 Receiver at the heart of it + a DVP-NS330 DVD player). The spec says it is 80 x 5 plus the sub at 100 and sticker on the front sells this as a 500w system. It also came with a Sony

It sounds amazing, certainly for £310, but then I have nothing to compare against

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Not sure I'm aware of all the specs etc but my brother has one of those (the 550 I think). Although it's able to fill a fair sized room with surround sound it's not very good imo for the money. You could by a seperates system that could out perform it in every way for around the same money. The subwoofer is more of a boom box and is not up to the job imo. It does give movies an extra kick compared to a normal TV's sound but if your looking for musical abilities too it falls well short. It is a nice looking fairly disreet box of tricks for someone looking for a lifestyle system that's adequate it will do but I prefer someting a bit more sustantial for my money. I have been spoilt recently with the kit I've owned in comparison to his system but my initial system (videologic dts) is a similar price and would blow the sony away in every respect (except looks maybe).
    The Sony gets the job done although only adequtely and i'm sure most people would out grow it fairly quickly and want to get something more substatial. The problems with all in one systems is they offer no upgrade path atall. You basically have to ditch it (or sell on) and start from scratch. If you were to go the seperates route you could start with a budget system and upgrade little bits as you go to gain improved performance.

just my 2p's worth;)