Question All in One Remote's "Activity" feature issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by TheDarkKnight01, Jan 4, 2018.

1. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong place but I have searched the site for an answer on this but have not found any joy so thought this was the next best place to post.

I have just got the below All in One remote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Sm...eywords=one+for+all+smart+control&tag=av0c-21

The TV that I have is the TX-P42S30B and as I have come to understand, Panasonic TV's require the power button to be held on for a few seconds for the power to come on to prevent accidental rate.

That isn't an issue with using the All in One remote to turn my TV on, however, when setting up an "activity" say I wanted to turn my TV and Surround System on with 1 command, it isn't switching my TV on as it is only sending the power on signal with 1 click (Panasonic's require the power on button to be held 2-3 seconds). So what is happening is the TV will flicker (but not switch on) then my surround comes on.

Has anybody here had any experience with this and could recommend what they did to get around this?

I maybe thought of there being an option to prolong the power on command for 2-3 seconds on the "activity" feature before it then switches the other devices on that would be set up in the same activity command. Not sure if that is even an option?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    I would play with macros. Create one on the watch TV activity using a long press of the power for the TV. Or if HDMI-CEC plays nicely for you, create one in each required activity that turns on the other device first to turn on the TV automatically.

https://www.oneforall.com/downloads/dl/file/id/519/urc7955_manual_en.pdf

Trial and error but deleting macros looks easy too.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    I''m not sure if long presses are possible in macros without getting technical and using JP1 programming (if that's still possible on OFA remotes these days)

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    I reckon the macro function is there for exactly these minor issues. It should record the signals so a long press should record ok you would hope. I agree the learn mode is unlikely to record the long press which is why I suggested the macros. I would try that too though personally.

Anyway it is something to try - if it doesn’t work then a more expensive/capable remote may work. Would get a bit expensive unless it was known which remotes can deliver long presses though.....

@TheDarkKnight01 - any joy yet?

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    Absolutely worth a try, it's been a while since I had an OFA remote (mine was a spongy "touch screen" that glowed blue called a chameleon or something like that, it did macros but just as a series of codes and wouldn't do a long press, one of the reasons I ditched it and got a Pronto. It was ages ago though, probably at least 15 years.

6. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Thank you for all of the tips.

I tried the macros but it was the same outcome as the "activity" feature.

I held the power down but when pressing the key that the macro was assigned to it had the same outcome (tv flashed once, thus not turning on, sound system came on fine as that only requires 1 click and not the held down feature).

I guess this is something that just won't work with the TV that I have, which is a shame.

7. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    I think other remotes record the long press. As @Jamie said he ditched the OFA for that same reason - macros didn’t record a long press and the activity couldn’t be changed to include a long press.

You will likely have to go more expensive for the remote but I have no doubt they exist to donlong presses.

Edit - did you try to learn a long press for the remote power on/off button?

Also have you tried to work out what the infrared signal is on a long press? Is it actually two on signals a short period apart so you can use that in a macro or learining mode for example?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018