All-In-One Recommendation...?

Necro165

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my Home Cinema system (Panasonic SC-MT1) because, fantastic though it is, it doesn't have any optical inputs so I can only get Dolby Digital and DTS sound via the unit's DVD player. Which means the best I can get out of my X360, PC and TV etc, is surround sound.

I'd like to replace the kit with another 5.1 (or perhaps 6.1) setup. I'd prefer one with an upscaling DVD player/recorder. I also want to be able to connect my X360 (via optial so that I get 5.1 sound from games and possibly the HD DVD drive add-on, which I'm thinking of buying) and my TV (via an HDMI socket?). I'd also like to be able to connect my PC. My TV and PC are both connected to my existing system via red/white stereo phono sockets.

So, does anyone know if a DVD upscaling all-in-one exists with optical input(s), HDMI socket(s) and audio out(s)? I've been looking for weeks but can't find one. Cost isn't really an issue but I'd prefer to stay under around £800. Any help would be appreciated.

Does it have to be a throw away all-in-one system once finished with, or would an upgradable seperates system also fit the bill.

I don't mind going down the 'separates' route if that would be a better option....

First off do check out the proper Hi-Fi shops for demos, NOT CURRYS, COMETS etc.

Very popular are.
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2980
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2729
https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=PREMIERE PLUS
Push the boat out a little further then https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=Q1010Pack
The above would meet every requirement that you have inc budget and would give you a sound that will far surpass ANY all-in-one system.

Thanks for that Andy.

I've had a look at these and might end up getting separates after all (I could probably still use most of my current speakers too) but I wouldn't mind still getting a bit of info on any all-in-ones as well.... Anyone?

In most cases all-in-one speakers DO NOT connect up to existing separates without butchering them, you would be better placed to sell the unit as a whole whilst it is still working.
That is the beauty of separates, if one bit fails change it. If you get fed up with another bit just change it, go for Blu-ray/HD DVD later then just add it or replace the existing DVD. Flexibility is the name of the game.
A common mis-conception about separates is "ALL THOSE CABLES", well think about it you have the same amount of boxes + separate DVD player, so that equals one fibre cable from DVD to amp and a mains lead for the DVD player, you still have five cables to the speakers, one to the sub and a HDMI to the TV.

I have LG 760IA home cinema....really great all in one system..has optical / hdmi interface..does upscaling but it can also write dvd's and has its own hard disk...may be you can get for less than 750 euros...further its a 700w system..

Ravi

I have LG 760IA home cinema....really great all in one system..has optical / hdmi interface..does upscaling but it can also write dvd's and has its own hard disk...may be you can get for less than 750 euros...further its a 700w system..

Ravi

I think the 700watts output is "Sounds Like". As with a lot of AV systems and especially all-in-ones, the clue to it's real power is the power input, you can not get more out than you put in, very similar to PC speakers that quote 2000w PMPO and it is all done with a 20 watt plugtop power supply.
On the LG system it quotes 100w per channel = 500watts and all this is done with 35watts power consumption?
The Sub quoted at 200watts can attain this with only 90watts consumption?

I don't think so.

I have a Cambridge audio 540R V2 AV amp, now it quotes 100w per channel (x5) or 80watts/channel (x6) ALL channels driven and has a max power consumption of 850watts, now the maths work out.

I think the 700watts output is "Sounds Like". As with a lot of AV systems and especially all-in-ones, the clue to it's real power is the power input, you can not get more out than you put in, very similar to PC speakers that quote 2000w PMPO and it is all done with a 20 watt plugtop power supply.
On the LG system it quotes 100w per channel = 500watts and all this is done with 35watts power consumption?
The Sub quoted at 200watts can attain this with only 90watts consumption?

I don't think so.

I have a Cambridge audio 540R V2 AV amp, now it quotes 100w per channel (x5) or 80watts/channel (x6) ALL channels driven and has a max power consumption of 850watts, now the maths work out.

Thanks for ur insight.

But what this 700 w they quote really translates to? So cambridge has a 850w RMS?

The laws of Physics simple states "You can not get more power out than you put in" that is why I stated "Sounds Like". If you think about it for one minute, what your spec states that it is 700watts output about the same as a good sized Disco filling a large room with 200 people it . Do you think for one moment your 700watt system would sound anywhere near as loud as the Disco, don't think so for one minute, it may sound loud in your room enviroment but would get lost in a Hall.
A good Disco amp would have an output of 400watts per channel and a power supply capable of at least 500+watts per channel, and then they would have multipule channels to drive each speaker.
All these high wattage statements made by different companies should be clarified. For AV amps it should state the real power output in stereo and the real output power (ALL CHANNELS driven) when in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom