Question All in One printer that has Two Sided ADF scanning?

vaderag

Search engines for printers seem incredibly limited when it comes to specifics

I'm looking for a smallish printer that does 2 sided scanning via automatic document feeder.
Other features are required (two sided printing for example) but the above is proving difficult to get to show up in searches...

I was tempted to go laser but they all seem huge, so leaning back towards inkjet

Any suggestions?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but don't mind paying a bit too get the above - not a heavy user, it's just for home, but my current printer has stopped printing and need a replacement!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Printerbase allows you to search for duplex scan functionality:

Although their database appear to be imperfect, the Pixma TS9550 listed doesn't seem to do duplex scanning.

The Epson XP-7100 looks to be the smallest one on that list, and reviews confirm it can do duplex scanning.

Bear in mind the duplex ADF scanning on a compact home model like that is unlikely to be fast and it's only got a 30 page input tray.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You may find the cheaper also do duplex put turn the paper to achieve this taking at least twice as long compared to single scans.

I know some of the hp office inkjet ones do advertise them scanning both sides at same time. Let me check which one I saw.

Fe_man2000

For what its worth I have a cheap Canon Pixma which prints both sides but is a manual switch for the scanning - MG5751.

So yeah thats going to be the tricky bit the scanning side of things.

vaderag

You may find the cheaper also do duplex put turn the paper to achieve this taking at least twice as long compared to single scans.

I know some of the hp office inkjet ones do advertise them scanning both sides at same time. Let me check which one I saw.
Yeah, really want to avoid the manual turn - I have that currently (which is basically non duplex + software) and it's a pain.

Speed not an issue for me so long as it's 'set and forget'

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yeah, really want to avoid the manual turn - I have that currently (which is basically non duplex + software) and it's a pain.

Speed not an issue for me so long as it's 'set and forget'
To be clear mine is fully automatic but it physically has to flip the sheets and refeed them back so does 2 passes. Some however do a single pass and scan both sides at the same time.

vaderag

To be clear mine is fully automatic but it physically has to flip the sheets and refeed them back so does 2 passes. Some however do a single pass and scan both sides at the same time.

Ah okay, misunderstood! Yeah, I don't mind that so long as it's reliable!!
I'm avoiding canon as well, had my second pass out in ~5years - just not reliable enough for me!

vaderag

Hey Chuck,

Sorry to come back on this after so long - I just want to confirm something...
I'm looking at this exact printer now - decided I want the tanks - and this seems to be the only printer that is all in one, ADF and has tanks.
I'm struggling to find anywhere that talks about the two sided scanning - can you confirm that if I have say 30 double sided pages, I can just whack them in the adf and then scan all 30 back and front without any manual interaction? I don't care the time it takes, or whether it has to do one side then the other, so long as it does it itself!

Edit, i see some people online also saying it doesnt print duplex, but that's just them right?!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Which model as I get a list when I click on my link :)

The 570 with the tanks appears to be single side ADF only and also only prints one side too as mentioned.

Although it appears to be "relatively" expensive it looks like a pretty cheap low-end printer. The cost coming from the fact it has 3 years of ink in it.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The 9015 and 9022 both do duplex scanning and printing from what I can see. There is cashback and an instant ink trial.

I have the 8710 which is similar looking to the two above.

The 9022 seems to be a bit quicker at scanning and an additional paper tray. With cashback it is nearly the same cost...

vaderag

The 9015 and 9022 both do duplex scanning and printing from what I can see. There is cashback and an instant ink trial.

I have the 8710 which is similar looking to the two above.

The 9022 seems to be a bit quicker at scanning and an additional paper tray. With cashback it is nearly the same cost...
Ah, thanks.
Was really hoping to get a tank one after my research, but madly despite costing more i can't find one with two sided scanning...

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The cost element though has to be considered, nothing comes for free :)

The tank one has enough ink for 8000 pages or 333 pages a month (apparently not sure what the ink coverage is though it is usually fairly low)

300 pages a month on instant ink is £7.99 (but you do get some offers) £287.64 over 3 years.

This is basically a free printer ... you are paying for the ink at £199 and an upfront payment to HP.

If you go for 100 pages which allows up to 200 pages rollover from previous months it's £3.49 a month. Ink cartridges are fuller with instant ink so are replaced a lot less frequently.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's been a couple of years since I looked at them but those sorts of continuous ink systems didn't have a very good reputation for coping with occasional use, have they improved of late?

vaderag

The cost element though has to be considered, nothing comes for free :)

The tank one has enough ink for 8000 pages or 333 pages a month (apparently not sure what the ink coverage is though it is usually fairly low)

300 pages a month on instant ink is £7.99 (but you do get some offers) £287.64 over 3 years.

This is basically a free printer ... you are paying for the ink at £199 and an upfront payment to HP.

If you go for 100 pages which allows up to 200 pages rollover from previous months it's £3.49 a month. Ink cartridges are fuller with instant ink so are replaced a lot less frequently.
Absolutely - but given my erratic printing use (we're using a lot now due to lockdown, but not much usually) I really don't want to be tied into a monthly subscription and the cartridges are extortionate! The classic model no longer works for me... and subscriptions for ink is just not something i care for.

I'd rather pay for the printer and get cheap ink moving forwards as and when i need it (i.e. with a tank)

But I need a machince that does double sided scans. Well, I want one at least!

Fe_man2000

lol my printer just died, had it for around 5 years I think so not so bad, replaced with the same model for £50 at currys (its on sale reduced from £100 think I payed around £85 for it 5 years ago) as I have a small stack of carts for it I want to use. As mentioned it wont do double side scanning but it is happy to sit and not be used very often (at least for 5 years or so) and the ink is around £16 for a complete set if you use non canon refills.

paulmitchell507

Novice Member
If I could jump in here, the 9022 for example will scan 2 sided documents in a single pass whereas the 9012 would automatically flip the sheets and refeed them back, is that correct?

In both cases, I could put 5 documents (single or double sided) in the ADF and the printer will generate a singe .PDF file containing all the scanned pages?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Absolutely - but given my erratic printing use (we're using a lot now due to lockdown, but not much usually) I really don't want to be tied into a monthly subscription and the cartridges are extortionate! The classic model no longer works for me... and subscriptions for ink is just not something i care for.

I'd rather pay for the printer and get cheap ink moving forwards as and when i need it (i.e. with a tank)

But I need a machince that does double sided scans. Well, I want one at least!
In my experience inkjet printers are great and plentiful but if printing isn't regular it does waste a fair amount of ink when cleaning it again etc.

I use a Lexmark MC2535adwe since September last year and it has been flawless. It is really good with WiFi connection to it and is seen by macOS, Windows 10, Chromebook without issues. In addition, our iOS-based phones pick it up no problems either. But most importantly for you, it doesn't just print double-sided but scans double-sided as well. The footprint isn't big, in fact, it is smaller than my Epson Inkjet was, but it is a bit taller. Tall and slim I would say, fits perfectly on top of a standard depth half-height cabinet 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Top Bottom