1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All In One Pioneer Home Cinema system with new High Def Plasma-is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ak47, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ak47

ak47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer DV 99 all in one home cinema kit, which I have been pretty happy with.

However, Im about to take delivery of a Panny 42 PV500 on Friday. Given that my Pioneer Home Cinema player does not even have component, I figured it would be worth buying a high defintion dvd player and ystday I bought the Pana DVD S97, which is high def capable.

It comes with an HDMI cable which I was planning on plugging straight into my High Def plasma screen.

My concern is how to obtain 5.1 surround sound from the S97 player. Reason being, the manual for the S97 suggests that even if I use an optical cable from my S97 to my Pioneer Home Cinema kit, I won't be getting 5.1 sound. Instead I'll only be getting 2 channel. I spoke to Panasonic and they said this was a typo, but Im not convinced.

I am now therefore wondering whether I need to fork out for a HDMI Amp e.g. Pana SAX R70. This will be frustrating, primarily because of the extra expense but also because I will then also need to buy a speaker kit for the SAX R70, and I know nothing about which speaker kits are good value for money.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I can't see why the dvd player would not output dolby digital from it's optical output - this would be a major cock up, since the player would be useless to the extreme. A DVD player not capable to be hooked up to a AV amp for dolby digital?? I would suggest panasonic are correct and it is a typo - have you downloaded a later manual? There is a review of the s97 (in what hifi I think) that makes no mention of this, and believe me, the mag would pickup on that kind of thing.

3. ak47

ak47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers matey. I have researched further and it does seem as though you're spot on, the manual must have had some sort of a typo.
    I'm therefore looking to buy a decently priced optical cable now to output the sound from my Panasonic S97 player to my Pioneer All In One Home Cinema amp - do you have any recommendations? I've tried messaging Mark Grant (I've heard rave reviews about him on this forum) but I've not heard back from him, perhaps he's on holiday.
    Also, do you know what the best way of connecting my plasma to my all in one amp is? The best connection the All In One has is composite I think, but I only want to output the sound from the TV to my All In One amp, so am I correct in thinking that Scart is the best way to go (basically what I am currently doing with my old Sony CRT)?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
  5. ak47

ak47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the link, will take a look. It's the first time I've heard anyone say that the S97 isn't truly a high def player. What would the S97 have to do to be classed as a high def player?

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well a 'true' hidef player would be a HDDVD or Blu-Ray player.

Exisiting players can 'scale' standard def pictures to high def resolutions like 720p and 1080i.

John

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    ebay sell optical cables (TOSLINK) for about £1.50
    they work as well as any other optical cables.