all in one or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deadville76, Apr 25, 2016.

1. deadville76

deadville76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have just purchased a Naim Muso, and whilst it's very convenient in terms of placement and control I don't know that the sound quality matches it's price for tv/music.

A little research and the Xeo 4 or Kef X300 look like reasonable alternatives with better sound quality, though more difficult to place, but not sure which might be better. Kefs are said to have great performance, whereas the Xeo are also (sort of)wireless, which appeals.

Any input on these would be great. Thanks.

2. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I'm sure the Xeo 4's are very nice active, wireless speakers but the price! The 'A' version of the Kef X300 is wireless too but again, the price seems a bit steep to me - though I appreciate that not everyone has such a strong sense of value as me (borne of necessity).

There are some products on the market that will do what you appear to want (i.e. wirelss connectivity) at much lower cost yet, quite probably, with very similar audio quality. Something like this maybe:

Marmitek Audio Anywhere 625 Digital Wireless Audio Sender: Amazon.co.uk: TV

(This is just an example - there are similar products available elsewhere and at lower cost, especially when purchased direct from Chinese sellers).

Connect the TV or music source to the transmitter and couple the wireless receiver to a pair of active studio monitors and you'll have a great sounding setup. IMO, active studio monitors, such as the following, offer far more bang-per-buck than products like the Kef and Dynaudio speakers which are primarily marketed at hobbyists (who tend to spend their own money rather freely) whereas studio monitors are generally purchased by working folk (who usually need to justify such expenditure).

Examples of a few active studio monitors:
    Studio Equipment > Studio Monitors | WhyBuyNew

(there are scores to choose from at under £500/pair and they come in all sizes to suit location)

If the TV and music sources are connected to a wireless router, then just a simple WiFi receiver like the EZCast M7 or Google's Chromecast Audio would do a grand job feeding active speakers.

3. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The first thing to do is look at what you are trying to achieve and what your criteria are. If musical fidelity and quality are important to you then that may drive some compromises in other areas that may not be so important ie using wireless / bluetooth. And above all, go and have an audition of what you may be interested in. I'm personally not a big fan of Naim and I have been pretty underwhelmed by the sound of both the Muso and the new Muso Qb. For me, they are vastly overpriced and don't actualy sound that good. However, there are lots of people who do like their sound and will have the opposite view to me. And that's ok, beause that's what works for them. From your post it would seem that you may not be won over by the Naim sound so it will probably be worth looking at alternatives. And that comes back to what you want to achieve. Are you looking for good quality audio for music playback plus the option to improve the sound of your TV or are you looking for a good quality home cineama sound that will also do justice to music playing?