All in one, or budget separates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by newbie2004, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2004

newbie2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I could do with some help. I've trawled through a lot of posts on the website, but haven't found answers to my questions.

Basically, I'm new to all this and have just bought a conventional widescreen TV (my first) that I now want to set up with a DVD and sound system.

Should I go for a all in one system (such as the Denon 500), or a suite of budget separates (say the Toshiba 340, Denon 1705 Amp, Elac 5.1 speakers)?

Both options above came priced up at less than £600. My budget is circa £500 - perhaps £700.

I'd like to have quality sound. My current hifi setup consists of some mid range separates, but they are getting a bit old and worn. I was wondering if I might be able to get a decent sound from a DVD audio system (as a sort-of replacement), or would my price range mean that it wasn't worth it??

Any advice?
    :lease:

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry that no one has come to you with some suggestions as yet, so I'll have a go.

I can't comment on those components that you've mentioned, but my opinion is that separates are definitely the way forward if you are after sound quality. Although I'm sure one could get decent sounding all-in-one systems if one is prepared to pay the price, pound-for-pound in terms of sound quality, there is no substitute for a set of carefully matched separates. For one thing, you could always upgrade your separate components individually as time goes by, but you couldn't do that with an all-in-one set.

For your budget, I'd go for a 5.1 amplifier/receiver (£200-250), a decent entry-level DVD player (£150-200) and spend the rest of your budget on a decent set of speakers and interconnects. If your budget doesn't allow a complete 5.1 set of speakers, you can always get the fronts and centre first and upgrade later as you go along. In my experience, adding quality components gradually rather than spending an entire budget for a complete set of poor quality ones makes more sense in the long run. You'll get tired of your poor quality set after a year or so and will have to upgrade the entire system then.

As for DVD-Audio or SACD, you'll need to increase your budget accordingly if you decide to go for it. For one, your DVD player will have to be DVD-A/SACD capable and that increases the expense, and your amplifier ought to be able to output pure analogue signals without any processing or decoding (i.e. the so-called 'pure direct mode') in order to truly appreciate DVD-A/SACDs. I'm not sure if entry-level 5.1 AV amps have this mode, or even if they do, the quality in pure direct mode may be so poor that it simply negates the superiority of DVD-A/SACD over CDs such that there won't be much of a difference between them. So in my opinion at least, entry level systems may not be appropriate for DVD-A/SACDs. In the early days of DVD-A/SACDs 5 or 6 years ago, only the audiophile purists would opt for them. Although things have become far more affordable now, I still think you need at least mid to high-end components to truly enjoy DVD-A/SACDs.

Regards,
    reservoir51

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I agree with Reservoir51, seperates are the way to go. As he has split your budget down I will give you some actual items to look at:lesson:

DVD player
    Pioneer 575 multiregion. It also does SACD and DVD-A so you have all the options you wanted.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=302301
    approx £120:smashin:

AMP
    For a decent stereo sound and 6.1 ability a bargain at the moment is the Marantz 5400OSE at £269 from www.petertyson.co.uk. The amp is only in Black but its almost 50% off:D

Total £390 so far.

Speakers
    Elac
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2046
    Tannoy FX 5.1 Speaker System also from peter tyson inc free delivery.

If you decide to buy from Peter Tyson (great dealer) you might be able to negociate a deal with tem so they might throw in some speaker cable and interconnects as your spending almost £600 with them. If you dont try you wont get.:thumbsup:

Digital coax and analogue cables look int he power buys forum for Mark Grants cables. The are top quality for :beer: money :D

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    As above, seperates are definately the way to go. My advice would be to keep an eye on the Classified forum as we have some great bargains appearing regularly. Most of my system was purchased second hand from members of the 'No1 AV forum' community :smashin:

Cheers, Mylo :thumbsup:

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.