All in one, or budget separates?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by newbie2004, Nov 5, 2004.

1. newbie2004

newbie2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I could do with some help. I've trawled through a lot of posts on the website, but haven't found answers to my questions.

Basically, I'm new to all this and have just bought a conventional widescreen TV (my first) that I now want to set up with a DVD and sound system.

Should I go for a all in one system (such as the Denon 500), or a suite of budget separates (say the Toshiba 340, Denon 1705 Amp, Elac 5.1 speakers)?

Both options above came priced up at less than £600. My budget is circa £500 - perhaps £700.

I'd like to have quality sound. My current hifi setup consists of some mid range separates, but they are getting a bit old and worn. I was wondering if I might be able to get a decent sound from a DVD audio system (as a sort-of replacement), or would my price range mean that it wasn't worth it??

Any advice? :lease:

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm in the same position.
    I currently have a DVD player, Tosh 330EB plugged into a Sony TV and am planning to upgrade to a proper home cinema system. I have been trawling the net and this forum for guidance (divine?).
    I have sort of narrowed it down to either a Denon system, DHT 500SD or DM51DVS or a Yamaha system which is designated AV package 70, http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/avpackage/htibs/av package 70/index.php but consists of component parts. The problem with the DHT 500SD is that it does not have a scart socket, which I need for the Sony TV.
    I also need to think of audio as well as DVD as my wife does not like the idea of two speakers in the room as well as a 5.1 system!
    My current favourite is the Yamaha, which seems to cover all the bases and is cheaper. Reviews on the component parts on this site are quite favourable as well.
    However other all in one systems also have good reviews so I am still searching!!

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In what way do you mean that the Denon DHT500 does not have a SCART socket. It has an RGB SCART output for the television.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    It's horses for courses and dependant on your expextations. Go and have a listen to some of the all in one solutions and if you find one that suits your requirements get the wallet out. :)

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Apologies. The 500SD does have a scart socket. I was confused by the outputs identified on another web site!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Pioneer 575 (£130) Pioneer 714 (£220) Canton CD1 (£250) ish from germany.£100 for cables and bits and you are laughing..... (if you want a small SUB Sat system...

7. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I just hit "post" to find this thread closed!!! Now posting in the other place.....
    Go with separates - it will allow you to embark on a never ending search for the fabled gold at the end of the rainbow, allow you to tailor your equipment to exactly match your needs, and will have you palpitating at the very mention of the next best thing due in about, oh 2 months after you bought the last best thing....

Or, splash the lot on the one-box solution that seems to cram an amazing amount of techno-wizzardry into a box smaller than "mobile" phones of a decade ago, and never, ever, ever accept an invite to watch a movie (or listen to some toons) at the house of one of those eccentric "separates" peeps....

Seriously though - think hard about what you want to achieve, know how much you can spend now, and how much you might be able to rustle up in the next 6 months by cutting back on the odd beer or three each week, get some good ideas from the people who frequent this forum and pass on good advice, get a shortlist of products nearer to the +6 month budget and then go listen to a few - you will probably be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve on a modest budget, and by the time you get around to the additional stuff you need by then, it will be even cheaper than you thought (which justs starts the cylce all over again - now I can afford this... but to get the most I'll have to replace this.. and then I'll need.... repeat to fade...) :devil:

8. heidi_ni

heidi_ni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DHT 500SD or DM51DVS have been market at the same price now, which has the better sound?

9. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The DHT 500SD.